Looking for healthy recipies for one

Options
kcdrake
kcdrake Posts: 512
So ladies and gents, for the first time in 4+ years I find myself single. I've done my week-long depressed food binge, and I realized tonight (while eating my fast food dinner) that I haven't actually cooked anything for myself all week.

NOT GOOD.

So, this is me getting back on track. I did the cooking for one thing for about a year, when my ex was on a deployment, but my meals consisted largely of pasta dishes, because they were the only thing I could think to make easily for just one person. I'm looking to add some variety to my meals.

Here are some of my dietary preferences:
-I enjoy chicken, shrimp, and lean read meat (like lean hamburger). I haven't really eaten fish before, but I'm willing to try it.
-I LOVE vegetables, but am kind of lost on how to cook them beyond microwaving. But I'm willing to learn!! I like my veggies crisp, NOT overcooked and mushy. :sick:
-I'm trying to incorporate veggies and/or fruit into all of my meals.
-I prefer recipes that make small serving sizes. I don't enjoy eating the same thing for days.
-I work from 7:30-4:30, and occasionally have 12 hour days if I have class after work. The shorter the prep/cook time, the better!
-I have a crock-pot and am very willing to use it! I also have a stove, oven-top, and a George Foreman. Really, the only thing I'm missing is an outdoor grill.

Please give me some ideas so I can break this eating-out rut I've found myself in!

Replies

• slender_sunshine
    Options
    This is definitely info I need too
  • CorrieJane
    CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I find myself making a lot of spaghetti because its quick for one person!! I have a george forman too, and I love it!! Turkey burgers on the george are really easy, Jeannie-O makes individually wrapped burgers, you can find them in the frozen food section. I also really like portabella mushroom sandwiches on the george forman. I buy large mushroom caps, usually in the fresh produce section, pour a little balsamic vinigar on them and put them on the george forman. I also will grill up some sliced red onion, then put it all so some pita with either feta or mozzeralla cheese, spinach and roasted red peppers-Yum!! I'm gonna keep checking in this thread so hopefully I can get some more ideas too!!
    good luck!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If you like veggies and need ideas on how to cook them, try out the NYT's Recipes for health:
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/index.html

Like them here, and you get the recipes: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Recipes-for-Health/130399966974966
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Any other advice? I'd really like some recipes, MFPers!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    English muffin pizzas, black bean quesadillas, cocktail shrimp (you just thaw out a couple servings at a time), those frozen chicken breasts that you can cook straight from the freezer, steak!
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My favorite chicken meal:

John Soules foods Chicken breast strips, just put them in a pan and heat them up for a few minutes.

Add them to a salad of baby spinach, diced apples, orange slices, and diced celery.

Instant mandarin chicken salad. Just under 500 calories.
  • paperlily
    paperlily Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I bake a lot of half chicken breasts and fish and then pan fry garlic, broccoli and mushrooms to go with it, serve with lemon juice and black pepper. When they are done I pan fry slices of sweet potato and serve them with black pepper and a crumble of feta (I freeze the feta and it defrosts fine). It is kind of my go to weeknight meal and you can mix what vegetables you cook and freeze the fish and chicken so it is ready to use whenever you need. Stuffing chicken breasts with feta and spinach is also good.

You could also cube and bake the chicken and on another tray have cubed sweet potato, red onion, mushroom, zucchini, capsicum, maybe garlic if you like it as much as I do and whatever else you want to roast (toss all in a teensy bit of olive oil, salt & pepper before cooking). When they are cooked and have cooled down place on a bed of spinach, lettuce and rocket as preferred, with fresh tomato and black olives, and dress with balsamic vinegar. You could add a bit of parmesan or feta.

Ideas for other vegetables: carrots cooked in the microwave with a wee bit of honey are lovely. Red cabbage steamed with apple and a tad of bacon is delicious. Stir fry any mix with a touch of soy sauce and sweet chilli. All of these are easy because you can cook enough for one.

I also make a lot of stews and soups (there will be lots of recipes about but I am a fan of the 'whatever is in the fridge' style). I am happy to eat them all week but you could alternate your days and then freeze a couple of portions. Good luck!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    sounds depressing but make stews, soups, pasta sauces, other sauces (i.e. for chops, fish etc) and stuff for 2+ people and freeze portions. then when you can't be bothered to cook for yourself you have fast food in the freezer

also when you buy meat portion it up and freeze individually then you have only to defrost 1 chicken fillet or 1 chop / steak not the whole lot. easier. and no temptation to eat leftovers as it is still frozen.

hope this helps

LW