Newbie ... a bit lost!

Options
Hi, I'm totally new to 'My Fitness Pal' and just found and installed the app yesterday! I'm also new to dieting and calorie counting so this is a bit of a learning curve at the moment. I am having trouble adding simple foods that I am not able to scan. I have been looking around the site but can only find a place to create your own meals so far, but would love to find a list of foods to give me an idea of how many calories may be in my meals or drinks. When I Google for these I seem to get wildly conflicting answers so I need help. All I needed to know was how many calories are in instant caffeinated coffee with about a 1/4 cup of soya milk? I've found answers ranging from 30 calories to 500 - very confusing!

This app is amazing and the first I have found that seems to be able to scan any UK food! I am amazed it's free, do they make enough money from their advertising to be able to provide such a comprehensive service? It's excellent! :)

Replies

• TrishKennett
    Options
    I've found the food database to be really comprehenisve - so far there are very few things I have tried that aren't already on there. If you get stuck, I found the "create a recipe" section can usually work out the calories you need. Make sure you plan what you eat, and then the plan will work! Good luck!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    whatever food it is break it down into its composite components and use whatever measurements you have.

So

Coffee decaf - 4 cals
    Water - 0 Cals
    Soya Milk - 38 cals to 100ml, so (1/4) US cup = 59.1470591 millilitres so lets say 20 cals for the soya.

Your coffee is roughly 25 cals, add a new food give it that value, use that.

It gets easier as you build up a list of commonly used foods.
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP!
    I have been on here a few weeks and am loving this site, everyone is so supportive and friendly.
    I had a quick look in the database for you and a 1/4 cup of Soya Milk is 28cals and coffee (black, Gold Blend) is 1cal per cup.
    These are the first ones I could find but you may be able to find better ideas.
    I have found the Database (in the food section) really helpful.
    Fell free to add me if you like so we can support each other!
    :smile:
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, you'll want to consider the calories per ingredient. When I add my daily coffee, I use coffee as one ingredient and my milk as another ingredient. If I change milks, i.e. skim milk to almond milk, I will add the almond milk separately because it's going to have different nutritional information compared to skim milk.

If you are wanting to add it as a single food each day, you will want to create the food for it to be an available option for you.

Hope this helps.

:flowerforyou: CC
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I won't be repetitive since the other posts seem to have done a good job! But I did want to say welcome to the MFP family and good luck on your journey! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • Pippin04
    Pippin04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's excellent! Wow! They really have thought of everything - I saw the 'Create a meal' bit, but thought it was totally manual and that I would have to input the calories myself. I didn't realise it does it for you!

Next thing to work out is putting in some 'back info' as I started about 12 days ago. Apparently I lost 5lbs in 12 days, but until I can save up for a Withings scale, I will take that with a pinch of salt, as I don't think it's very reliable! Could be in for a nasty shock, but at least I'm on the right track and am being strict with what I eat and the amount of water I drink - this is a massive boost when it comes to willpower! Just what I need to fit into that wedding dress next year!

Thanks again. :)
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi Pippin and welcome to MFP :smile:

I am sure you will soon get the hang of using the site and be as addicted as the rest of us.

You will get loads of support, help and advice as it is a very friendly community.

Remember to log everything as this is a real eyeopener at times, and exercise really does make all the difference.

Good luck in achieving your goals, we are all here to help you on your way :smile:

Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish :smile:

p.s. congrats on your forthcoming wedding, a great incentive to help you get into shape :happy: