Thyroid problems

Options
Hi

My doctor has informed me that I have a "thyroid imbalance", but hasn't recommended anything apart from another (yes another..<sigh>) blood test in a couple of months. My PT has told me that this may be the reason why my weight loss isn't what it should be (in my opinion) and also why I feel more tired than usual. Does anyone have experience of this problem and what to do about it, or to get around it, I've seen something about a book called "Thyroid solution" but not sure whether to believe it will work or not!

Thanks!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• spim
    spim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sadly all you can do is wait for blood tests, you'll have your test in 8 weeks and if they still find something wrong and have to give you meds, then you'll have to wait for another blood test in 8 weeks, and then if that doesn't come back quite right and they adjust your meds again, another 8 week wait for a blood test! All you can do is keep trying to exercise and eat well, even when you feel tired and don't want to do it.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    felt tired and couldn't loose weight, a doctor said I had thyroid problems and gave me meds, but it still did not get better. I saw another doctor and they made a big blood works and found also that I had vitamin D and B12 deficiency as well as Insulin resistance, since I have meds for all those conditions I can loose weight and feel better. But it took a while. Now after 2 years I have to go for blood work every 4 month, in the beginning it was every 8 weeks for like a year and a half.
  • ReneeOfTheFae
    Options
    Sometimes it takes about a year to get the level of meds right. Even then your thyroid may throw you for a loop somewhere down the line and you and your doctor will have to go back to square one with the tests. :/ I've heard that those books (yes, there are far more than one), can't replace your treatment. If you do a smidge of research, you'll find out just how important it is to continue taking your medications for your thyroid. Of course, there are things you can do to keep your med dosage low (proper eating and regular exercise), but you will most likely be on medication every day for the rest of your life. Thing is, the meds help your thyroid function normally, making it just as easy to lose weight as someone without hypothyroidism. The most important thing to keep in mind (with your doctor) it to be your own advocate. If you read or hear something that may make things easier for you, talk with your doctor. I'm lucky, but I've heard horror stories of doctors dismissing thyroid issues left and right. If, say, you find it hard to catch your breath sometimes, and your didn't just run a mile, talk to your doctor. That's called "air hunger" and it is a real symptom. Just be sure to really tell your doc everything, but if your dosage needs to be changed, the symptoms will be your clues.
    Best of luck!!! *^_^*
  • Jamiecfc1
    Jamiecfc1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm running out of blood :)

Thanks for the words of advice. Much appreciated!
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm on my fourth test now - it's a waiting game I'm afraid.

Hypothyroidism runs in my family and my dad told me to go get tested when I started sleeping all the time. It makes exercise really hard some days as you just want to crash. My way of getting through it is to force yourself to go to the gym or exercise even when you don't feel like it as the work out will bouy you up, even for a short while so you still get to burn some calories. Also - I sleep a LOT! I try to get at least 8.5 hours a night - if I don't it has a knock on effect and I can't concentrate.

Hope you get some conclusive results soon, and fingers crossed it's not too bad a verdict. :flowerforyou:
  • spim
    spim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If any other people with hypo (or any other thyroid issues) want to add me then feel free, since I'd guess there's not that many of us on here :)
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've had an overactive thyroid in the past and for the moment, you really do need to wait for the results. My symptoms were weight loss, loss of appetite, tired as hell yet couldn't sleep, shaking, sweats, bulged eyes, hot/cold flushes.... not really pleasant stuff. By the sounds of it though you may be under active (since you are saying that your weight loss may not be as high as you would like). Although I believe the symptoms are comparable but with weight gain rather than loss.

Once the results come back and if it is your thyroid, the doctor will probably prescribe you something to regulate your levels. If they are drastically out of range, the dosage may start quite high and then taper off. The thyroid gland works with your pituitary gland to control your metabolism, hence the gain/loss factors of thyroid issues.

In the meantime, the only suggestion I have is to look after yourself. Eat good whole foods, exercise how/when you can and make sure you're getting enough rest as well, especially since thyroid disorders can take it out of you.

Although since you're already on MFP, I'm guessing you've already starting the looking after yourself part :)
  • UABUncleSam
    Options
    At the moment I am on Levothyroxin which is for under active (hypo) thyroidism. I have to take meds every day for the rest of my life and it does put a damper on a day. Being tired all the time was a big issue which made exercising non-existent in my life. I felt I couldn't sleep enough. Even with cutting calories and changing to the "all you can eat meat diet" that my doctor suggested nothing seemed to drop any weight. I finally got fed up since it seemed the doctor wasn't going to help me all to often and started looking up information on the drug I was on.

No caffeine, no fiber (which means no fruits and veggies) and sugars-next to none if you can help it. After a week of putting carbs back in and cutting out soda (which was diet by the way) caffeine and all things stated above. I had realized I was able to function a lot easier. I still had moments of fatigue here and there, normally right after lunch but I pushed through. Things started looking good and I dropped a few lbs from eating as close to healthy as possible without those fiberous "health" foods. I don't really care for water, but I found cutting out my daily 2 sprite zeros made me want to drink water a little more often. So I have done that. If you still have problems with medication and doing what I've done, then please by all means get with the doc and start doing some research.

I know if rough and hard to cope with from day to day, but it is possible to do. It just takes a lot more effort on our part since our bodies don't want to do the job it supposed to. Try cutting out those said necessary things, but not everything because that will lead to binge eating. Be smart about it and if you have any questions at all...let me know and I'll tell you what I know.

Good luck everyone!

Dave