Work Calls for Dining Out and Travel - help please

Options
Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I find many of your stories very inspirational - I think this is a great community.

I could use some advice on how to stay on target when travelling and entertaining. My job requires lots of meetings over drinks and dinners making it hard to stay under my calorie goal. Because most of these meetings are in the evening, by the time I get home it's too late to go to the gym. I also travel for work somewhat frequently which means three meals a day at restaurants...ugh.

Any tricks of the trade for eating healthy when work calls for going out for meals or travelling?

Thanks all!

Replies

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Easy, just go easy on the wine and choose healthy options.
    Soups, salads, chicken, fish, veg dishes
  • PeanutButterKiller
    Options
    well all i can say is try and pick the lighter options, salmon, chicken, veggies, get salad without the dressing or croutons, and drink water...just cause they want drinks doesnt mean you have to.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Stick to club soda with lemon/lime when drinking. If you have to have the booze, go for vodka with club soda and lime. And limit yourself to one.

Eat half of what is on your plate at a restaurant and take the rest to go or leave it. Also, stick with steamed and grilled choices. No fried, no cream sauces, etc. You'll do great!
  • blm211
    blm211 Posts: 6
    Options
    For working out - here is a great post from my new favorite blog: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

maybe this is something easy/quick enough to include into your daily routine while travelling.

As for dining out - simplify everything - go with meats that don't come smothered in sauces, try for sides like steamed vegetables, or salads with dressing on the side so you can better control how much of it you are eating. And i read on Bethenny Frankel's site a while ago that when going out for happy hour, the stronger the drink, the slower you will want to drink it, the less drinks you will have (and by drinking say a flavored vodka instead of a vodka with cranberry juice, you cut out a lot of calories and sugar); or you can alternate drink, water, drink, water. I usually try to stick to drinking vodka with club and lime when I go out, after a couple I switch to just club soda and no one ever notices the difference.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If your hotel has a gym hit the gym while there. If not, take a set of the workout bands. They are light weight so it will not cause your luggage to be extra heavy. Put a workout together you can do in your room. You can also do crunches, push ups, calf raises, wall sits, and many others. When eating out just try to stick to the healthier meals. Most menus have something on the healthier side.
  • drzrider61
    Options
    Welcome, I understand the problem. I also travel for my work and it is a challenge. My guess is if you are traveling for work you have a smart phone. Be sure to have the mobile app. Keeping up with everything I eat has been a great help and it has also helped me make better choices when I eat out.

I can never find the time or energy to work out at night so I make myself get up and workout in the mooring when I am on the road. If possible I try to run in the mornings outside, but if that is not possible I use the hotel fitness room. 30 or 45 minutes on the treadmill is better than not working out. You can do it!
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I used to travel quite a lot for work- and had the same problems- so there are a few tips I can offer you- take them as you may.

Cocktail hours- Start with water- I would always say " I drink a ton of water usually, and haven't had enough today- i'll have a few glasses of water before my wine..." and then never move onto the wine- trust me after the first round people don't really notice. I think professionals are somewhat mindful of who drinks & who doesnt- for fear of embarrassing someone who is not drinking for whatever reason- you will not get crap for this- trust me. Have a few glasses of water at the cocktail hour and if you feel like one or two adult beverages after them, go for it- but most likely you wont- and wont feel like you;re standing out.

Food- during the day- pack ahead- a box of nutrigrain bars on a business trip will save your *kitten*- bring the box and have one for breakfast when you're getting ready on hotel room. If you're offered breakfast when you arrive to your destination- " Oh, I already ate- but thank you so much!"

Food during business meetings or dinners- salads, fish and lean stuff. I spent alot of time at really nice work dinners- and took it as an opportunity to eat a lot of fish bc I never cook fish at home. Broiled- every restaurant under the sun will have a broiled fish option- and feel free to ask for different sides- there is no shame in asking- and at the end of the day its about your survival.

And just skip desert- no one will brow beat you into it- and it's so easy to say " Oh, I need a good nights sleep tonight to do this again tomorrow- that sugar will have me up all night..."
  • horsessrb
    horsessrb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness - thanks all for the quick reply and helpful tips.

blm211 - I love the 20 minute hotel workout! I'm definitely going to try that when I check in tonight!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I also have to deal with work travel. Some tips that get me through:

1. Always work out in the morning at the hotel. No matter how late your night runs, you got the exercise in first thing and it's over with.
    2. Try to have shelf stable snacks on hand, I usually travel with almonds. This helps if I get stuck and want a snack and is especially helpful in airport/flight situations.
    3. Moderation is key. Even if it is all restaurant food, all day, eating small portions of the more caloric stuff is the only way to stay within your calorie goal. Every restaurant has lower calorie options, it is up to you to make the right choice. If by dinner time I am low on calories, I will opt for a bowl of soup and/or salad or something else on the lighter side.
    4. Know your airport food. I have a set list in mind of lower calorie lunches at my usual airports. I rely heavily on Starbucks for lunches and they have quite a few good options for breakfast and lunch. I love their protein plate for breakfast or lunch (hard boiled egg, apple slices, peanut butter, cheese, grapes, etc.).
    5. Presumably you have a smart phone if you are traveling for work. Use the MFP app and also use an awesome free app called "restaurant nutrition" (I have it on Android). It lists a lot of chain restaurant calorie counts, which is super helpful as I travel often to the midwest in the land of chain restaurants.