5K running time - How to improve??

Options
Main question:

How to improve my time for a 5K?

Background info.:

I decided that at the end of every month I am going to sign-up for a 5K so I have something to work for. Last month, September, I completed my first 5K in 46 minutes 57 seconds - which I wasn't too happy about, but it gave me a time to beat for next time! This month I signed up for a 5K on the 15th and completed it in 43 minutes and 10 seconds! I improved my time by almost 4 minutes within a few weeks (3 i think). I just signed-up for one on Nov. 19th and I am hoping to improve my time - below the 40 minute mark - 35 minutes would be AMAZING.

Any advice would be appreciated!

M.:heart:

Replies

• Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump---I'm interested too. I did my first in 43:06, did one Sunday and had it down to 40:15. Would like to have it down to 30mins.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    One thing I have heard that you can do to train for time is use an interval program like the C25K, but instead of alternating runs/walks, use it to alternate slow run/fast run. This will be my plan once I am able to hit 5K (just ran 2.5 miles Friday, so I'm getting there). Good luck!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    GREAT questions! I have my first 5K on Oct 30th One day I'll have a good pace and the next I suck. Not sure how to get consistency...I'm new at this.
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    One thing I have heard that you can do to train for time is use an interval program like the C25K, but instead of alternating runs/walks, use it to alternate slow run/fast run. This will be my plan once I am able to hit 5K (just ran 2.5 miles Friday, so I'm getting there). Good luck!

That's a good idea! That is the program I used to help me be able to complete a 5K in the first place :bigsmile:

• cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm just happy that I can now do a whole mile lol! I plan on eventually sometime this spring doing a 5K. any helpful tips?
  • tristahenry
    Options
    Interval training really is the best way to improve speed but doing hill workouts are pretty amazing too. Just make sure you work up to your intervals because newer runners tend to over do it and hurt themselves. And of course keep doing your regular training runs and increase your per mile times. Confidence in yourself and your ability to finish a race are great for dropping time. Congrats on your welcome to the racing world!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

That's a good idea! That is the program I used to help me be able to complete a 5K in the first place :bigsmile:

I have been wondering the same thing. I think I will try that too.
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing awesome!! Make sure you are doing speedwork at least once a week during your training, and I dont know how many miles you currently run but if you increase your mileage it will help with speed in a 5k.
    Just keep up the good work, your time is going down very nice and steady!!
    Good Luck on your next race!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm just happy that I can now do a whole mile lol! I plan on eventually sometime this spring doing a 5K. any helpful tips?

C25K It is amazing! I have never run before and now I can run a 5k.
  • katielouise24
    Options
    Hello there,
    I'm a keen runner and only started a couple of years ago! Here's few things I think about about when training...

Try to mix it up a bit, different activites such as cycling and swimming to get the rest of your body moving in different ways to increase your strengh.

Mark out your runs, 1km of gently jogging and then the next 0.5/1km running at a faster pace.. And repeat you can build up the 1km or do it in minutes. Map My Run is a brilliant tool to mark out runs outside.

Sundays, go out for a longer run than 5k but at your own leisurely speed - just you, the road and your music!

Take a friend, I jog quicker when I'm chatting :)

Warm up and cool down properly - warm up whilst jogging with heel flicks, kicking your bum, knees high, shoulder rolls to get the joints warms and stretch quads, hamstrings and calfs.

Rest!!

Hope that helps xx
  • klfain
    klfain Posts: 3
    Options
    I going to sign up for one on November 19th as well, near Cape Girardeau, MO. I'm very excited.
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I recommend interval training. Start by getting warmed up...

Then...
    Run the first mile at a faster pace than your rae pace. Jog for 1/4 mile to recover. Again run a second mile at a faster than race pace. Then jog 1/4 mile. Repeat this process until your body says it's done for the workout. I'm not sure if you are running 4-5 miles or more a day? You are tricking your body because it really doesn't need a long recovery time. Eventually you will try to run each mile as fast as you can (not sprinting though). If you run 6 days a week, then 3 days of interval and 3 days regular running. What you will see happen is that your regular training times will at first lower in time, but do continue to increase the distance too.

Hope this helps come race day!
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I am going to try and incorporate C25K in, but at a faster pace and more distance training. Right now I am just doing 2 - 3 miles every other day, except Sundays.

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You sound like your doing great, the good news is that the more you run the faster you will get, just keep running! Especially try for slightly longer run each time on a weekend.
  • TwinMamma09
    Options
    I agree with the interval training. That is what helped me the most. I hardly ever ran the full 3.1 miles on my train days but I pushed my body on the intervals to improve my cardio level. In my 5k the excitement of it all pushed me and I was able to better on my 5k than I ever did time wise in my trainings.

I like your idea of doing one every month. I think I am going to look to do the same thing.