Treadmill in upstairs apartment

Options
I am thinking about purchasing a treadmill but I live on the 2nd floor. Does anyone know if this will be a problem for the neighbor below me? Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be. I sold a treadmill to a guy that lived in an apartment and his neighbors complained about his use of the treadmill. If you are on the same schedule as your neighbors it may be okay but if your hours conflict, you may have some problems from your neighbors.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Weight plays into how much of an issue it'll be, but if you're worried about it would you consider getting an elliptical instead? They still make noise but as far as I know would be much less intrusive.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i am on the second floor and i have a treadmill, when i walk on it, its fine. but when i run it sounds like im banging.

downstairs didnt mind so much as long as it wasnt late at night. but then they started getting annoyed because the banging interrupted thier TV signal.

now i dont care. i want to get fit and im not letting them moan about it. im on it now and again for no more than 30 mins. they can like it or lump it.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I lived in a downstairs apartment when I was first married...swore I would NEVER do so again (and have not). So annoying to hear every step etc ALL THE TIME. If your neighbors are gone during the day and you are home, that would work, but otherwise I would not put anyone through that
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You can put your treadmill on thick rubber mats, the kind you buy in sports shops for doing weights etc on. This will lessen the noise, but it won't eliminate it.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    hello! i have lived upstairs and down stars from this. you can put a big square of cork board under it and you'd be amazed how much it reduces noises! i do it for my sub woofer too.
  • canuckgurrl
    canuckgurrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I totally understand about getting fit. Please be respectful of your neighbours. It's really annoying living underneath.
  • Stormy65
    Stormy65 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Maybe if they have a "few" pounds to lose it will motivate them to get busy LOL!!!!! Just sayin! Everyone needs to workout, maybe they will get convicted and workout too, I would even talk to the neighbor. When my daughter was little she would ride her hot wheels upstairs, I talked to the gentleman downstairs and he was fine with it, I made her stop early though by 7 oclock so it wasn't late. But he was a nice man and I did try to be respectful! I would go to the neighbor and talk with them.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    We have been dreaming of getting a treadmill for our second floor apartment for months now, and now I am feeling guilty... I hadn't even thought about my neighbors!

Oops. I'm with whoever said that being fit is more important than worrying about the neighbors. I hope that doesn't make me heartless! But... they could have opted for a 2nd floor if they were really concerned about the noise, in my opinion. That's what we did.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Talk to your neighbour, make a schedule of when it would be okay for you to do it :D
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...I have an ellipitcal and it doesn't make noise. Maybe you should check out an elliptical. I know that treadmills can be pretty loud.
  • Determined1980
    Options
    Thanks for your advice everyone. My neighbor is a young college kid that has parties all the time and I never complain. But being the nice neighbor that I am, I will talk to him and find out what his hours are and how he feels about the treadmill, with the winter coming, I don't want to continue running outside in the cold.