Heart rate monitor help!!!!

I am looking to get a heart rate monitor to be more accurate about my exercising. I want one that is waterproof and had a built in pedometer. Any suggestions????? I was going to get the Polar FT4 but think if i'm going to speand that amount of money i want it to do everything i need it to. Help me!!!!!!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    The Polar FT4 is waterproof but doesnt have a pedometer. I have a FT7 and I do love it.
  • I have a Polar FT4 and with it I've lost 50 lbs. since December. I love it -- no pedometer, but it does adjust your calories burned by whether or not you're in your target hear rate zone, so it distinguishes between burning sugars (high heart rate) and fat (target zone). Good luck!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Couple of thoughts....

Most HRM are water resistant, but don't necessarily WORK in the water. If you want one that works while swimming and such you will be doling out a lot of cash.

What is your intent with the pedometer functionality? Is your plan to wear it all day to track your steps? Most HRMs are designed to only be used when doing your exercise activities. They will not be accurate for calorie burn and such for all day wear. I think Body Bugg and another brand are the only ones that are meant to be worn all day, but not sure of the pedo.... I used to wear a pedometer, but as I've gotten more fit, I'm less concerned about steps and more concerened about calories burned..
  • nic81081
    nic81081 Posts: 46 Member
    I just fancied the pedometer part to track milage during long walks not for everyday use.
    Does the FT4 calculate calories burned during swimming does anyone know?
    Thanks for the help :)
  • MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Yes, it does. I have one and LOVE it!
  • nic81081
    nic81081 Posts: 46 Member
    Thanks for all the help. Think i'll just stick with FT4 then.
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    If you have an Android phone there are apps like Endomondo that will track your distance using GPS. It gives an estimate of calories but I find it is way too high, so you need an HRM for that. There are probably iPhone apps too.

I have an FT7 so I can recommend the Polar range :)