Kids Cartoons, what happened?

Options
d2footballJRC
d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
Man, I've had a couple days off and being a responsible 29 year old I thought I had better check out the new kids cartoons as my son will be wanting to watch them. Is there no longer any awesome cartoons?

What happened? Did PC (political correctness) destroy the cartoon world?

What happened to:
Dino Riders
Street Sharks
SwatCats
ThunderCats
Captain Planet
Voltron
Battletoads
BIker Mice from Mars
He-man
The old ninja turtles
Barnyard commandos
Ren and Stimpy

Seriously even the new Looney Toons are horrible. The new art style sucks, and they are boring.

Replies

• Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The commercials are worse. We just keep a stock of DVDs that we like and turn off the tv after the news.
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    my son is 6 and he loves Tom & Jerry
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My niece watches Teletoon Retro so she still gets the good cartoons but I do agree new cartoons suck and it makes me cry a little on the inside.
  • kathy0317
    Options
    Man.. I'm old. I only recognize the names from three of those.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My husband and 8 year old still watch ThunderCats, but I think it is a new verision. Just YouTube all the classics and show your kid what he is missing :)

Oh, and we sing the Capitan Planet song at our house at least once a week...love it!
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I own the 100 classic cartoon DVD's with Popeye and Porky and stuff on them. LOVE them still! I actually believe it or not worked out the other day to Popeye. We have DVD on the Treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes. So I popped in my 100 Classics and started goin :)
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Nick Jr. has a few strange looking ones, but they are educational and tend to grow on you:bigsmile: Also, there is a retro cartoon channel on cable and it has the flinstones, jetsons, Tom and Jerry.....etc...
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Johnny Test and Phinnias and Ferb are the only two decent cartoons left on tv these days. I feel bad for todays generation of kids. Back in the day, there was nothing better than Saturday cartoons and a bowl of cold cereal!!
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    As for new cartoons, check out The Spectacular Spider-Man. It has already been cancelled (after two awesome seasons) but the show closely mirrors the first thirty issues of The Amazing Spider-Man [with Venom added as a character]. The character art is simple; however, the money put into the show really went into the action sequences.

Of course, most of the cartoons you mention are available on Netflix. I still watch "Home Movies" or the 90's animated "X-Men" series while falling asleep with a semi-regularity.
    -wtk
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree that Spectacular Spider Man is a good one. Also Avatar: The Last Airbender was really good, I even got into that one. There's a new series coming Avatar: Legend of Korra, hope it's as good. We do enjoy Phineas and Ferb and good old Spongebob too.

Otherwise, Netflix is your best friend these days. You can watch the cartoons of ye olde childhood.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    found dino riders online.. such a good show.... sigh.. the good ole' days.