Hello from Hertordshire, UK

Hi,
I joined this site a couple of years ago but didn't use it. I have just resumed my struggle to lose weight and have realised the benefits of the food diary. It's bril. Hoping to make some friends on here, local would be a bonus, to share encouragement and perhaps even get together for walks, classes etc.
Kate :smile:

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Hi and Welcome Kate. I'm just down the road from you in Enfield. I'd be fascinated to hear your medical scientist insight into things.

Berry
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Hi Kate,

I'm from Hertfordshire. where abouts are you?

Margo :flowerforyou:
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Hi Kate,

I'm from Hertfordshire. where abouts are you?

Margo :flowerforyou:
    Just had a look at your profile I live about 5 miles from you in Dane End so sending you a friend request
  • Hi Margo,
    I'm from Ware
    Kate
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,258 Member
    Hello, I'm in Welwyn Garden City *waves*
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Welcome! I love this site. I have lost 27 pounds and I owe it all to this site and the great friends I have made. I would be happy to be your friend to help you through this journey! Please feel free to add me if you like! Good luck to you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • HI Berry,
    Thank you for your reply. Just my own theories based on a lifetime of watching myself and others struggle, whilst skinny friends can eat what they want and stay skinny. I was a medical laboratory scientist and so much pathology goes into everything we do and what happens to our bodies at any one moment in tme. I believe that sugar is such a powerful drug but addiction to it is as complex as alchohol and drug addiction. There are 2 books that might interest you
    1) The Insulin Factor
    2) Potatoes not Prozac
    Can't remember the authors off hand. The scientific theory behind the principles discussed in these books makes a lot of sense but why are we all diffferent? I believe there is a chemical imbalance somewhere that we haven't got to the bottom of yet. It will be to do with some chemical that once we know what it is, we can act on it with something else or give people more of it. The scientific world are currently talking about Leptin deficiency being a cause of appetite problems but it is still too new for us to go out and just dose up with Leptin. Boichemistry is so complex that so much research is needed. The government needs to invest in this research big time - it would save a lot of money and heartache in treating weight related illnesses as seriously as durgs and alcohol. It is starting to twig but I think one day, it will be realised that there are serious addictiions to be dealt with, not just education. Look at children tooday- all addicted to sugary things and junk food. It's all down to the sugars in them. We are killing them with kindess by allowing them this stuff. I feel like screaming from the rooftops when I see what people feed their children after the struggle that I have had which is self inflicted. They don't stand a chance when they are older. Best not to get me started on it all :-)
    Kate
  • HI Berry,
    Thank you for your reply. Just my own theories based on a lifetime of watching myself and others struggle, whilst skinny friends can eat what they want and stay skinny. I was a medical laboratory scientist and so much pathology goes into everything we do and what happens to our bodies at any one moment in tme. I believe that sugar is such a powerful drug but addiction to it is as complex as alchohol and drug addiction. There are 2 books that might interest you
    1) The Insulin Factor
    2) Potatoes not Prozac
    Can't remember the authors off hand. The scientific theory behind the principles discussed in these books makes a lot of sense but why are we all diffferent? I believe there is a chemical imbalance somewhere that we haven't got to the bottom of yet. It will be to do with some chemical that once we know what it is, we can act on it with something else or give people more of it. The scientific world are currently talking about Leptin deficiency being a cause of appetite problems but it is still too new for us to go out and just dose up with Leptin. Boichemistry is so complex that so much research is needed. The government needs to invest in this research big time - it would save a lot of money and heartache in treating weight related illnesses as seriously as durgs and alcohol. It is starting to twig but I think one day, it will be realised that there are serious addictiions to be dealt with, not just education. Look at children tooday- all addicted to sugary things and junk food. It's all down to the sugars in them. We are killing them with kindess by allowing them this stuff. I feel like screaming from the rooftops when I see what people feed their children after the struggle that I have had which is self inflicted. They don't stand a chance when they are older. Best not to get me started on it all :-)
    Kate
  • good morning and welcome~
  • BerryH
    Wow, fascinating stuff, thanks. You should start a forum post and/or blog on that subject when you've got a moment, I bet you'd kick off a great discussion!
  • Hi Berry,
    Thanks. I'd never get anything done at all if I got going on the subject !!! Maybe I should though. I am always open to learning other peoples opinions. It might change mine but I am convinced. Shame I'll probably be dead before they get to the bottom of it.! lol
    Kate x
  • sahalley
    sahalley Posts: 17 Member
    Hey welcome to this site - I am from Romford so not too far - I'm new but have lost a couple of pounds so seems like mfp and calorie counting is the way forward. Good luck x
  • BerryH
    By the way, if you're looking for an amazing Hertfordshire based event to train for next, I can thoroughly recommend the Zest Girls' Big Adventure race at the Lee Valley white water rafting centre. A friend and I had a riot doing it this year!

http://www.zest.co.uk/zest-girls-big-adventure/35.html
  • Thanks for that Berry. I am definitely interested :-)