Cancer Survivor, Thyroid Problems and Weight Loss

Options
I have no thyroid, because I had a Total Thyroidectomy after having cancer at 24 yrs old. I am wondering if anyone else is on Levoxyl or Synthroid and how that affects their weight loss??? My thyroid is supposed to be evened out, because I'm medicated, however I'm eating less than ever and am never hungry!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Stories?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I still have my thyroid, but it's underactive.

I am stable on meds right now and the weight loss is going just fine. I can always tell when my dosage is too low though. I get very tired, cranky, and I do nothing but eat and sleep. Usually, when that happens, I tell the doc I want to get tested, and the results almost always confirm how I feel. Of course, when the dosage is too low, I gain.
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    I have blood tests very frequently, and they're right no finally. :)
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have had thyroid issues (hypo) for 14 years. I take Levothyroxine (generic synthroid) I am having a tough time losing weight. I keep trying though.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid. Losing weight is hard. I am finally on a good dosage and the last month has gone well for me. But this has been a difficulty.
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis...aka hypothyroidism, and my doctor has put me on all sorts of medicines. Currently I'm on Armour Thyroid (a pig thyroid supplement...that's right, pig). My weight loss has been HARD, and is even harder once you get "closer" (I'm still 25 lbs away from my goal) to your ideal weight.

Best of luck to all of you wish thyroid problems. It really does suck at times.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have no thyroid, because I had a Total Thyroidectomy after having cancer at 24 yrs old. I am wondering if anyone else is on Levoxyl or Synthroid and how that affects their weight loss??? My thyroid is supposed to be evened out, because I'm medicated, however I'm eating less than ever and am never hungry!

I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to say congrats on beating your cancer and best of luck to you :smile:
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options

I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to say congrats on beating your cancer and best of luck to you :smile:

Thanks!! 3 years :) !!! HUG!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Do you have a survivorship program or clinic somewhere near you? Might want to check cancer centers near you or where you received your treatment. They can usually refer you to a nutritionist that can help design a program for you based on your cancer treatment and current medications. Probably much more individualized help there too.

Also, community exercise programs for cancer survivors at a local gym or YMCA are fabulous.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I had a total thyroidectomy as well due to cancer.
    Unfortunately, cancer loves me and I'm dealing with my 4th bout of it. It's in a lymph node in my neck and inoperable as it's too small to be surgically removed without it being too risky.

Anyway, because I have to live with this cancer in my neck, my endo likes to keep my thryoid levels on the high side to theoretically keep the cancer from growing and spreading. I was alternating days with .2 & .175 mg of Synthroid.
    I found out today that I'm now hyperthyroid. I've lost 20ish lbs since he changed my 'script and I think that's why my levels went too far over. My dose has been changed to a steady .175 mg for now.

Whenever I drop weight, my meds need to be adjusted.

I haven't noticed my meds affecting my weight loss though. I can lose weight quite easily.

Best of Health to You! :flowerforyou:
  • blueeyes082867
    blueeyes082867 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too had cancer last year and had a total thyroidectomy. I've only done one treatment of radiation and I'm still waiting for another treatment but slowly they keep upping my synthroid and I'm currently at 212.5mcg. Finally within the last month I am feeling better, I don't feel so heavy (before I felt like I weighed about 500lbs), I have more energy and starting to feel more "normal", but now I need to loose the 20+ lbs that I gained.

I have been doing MFP for 47 days and have lost 10 lbs, thanks to my husband for also joining MFP. The first couple of weeks the lbs came off quickly but really slowed down. I haven't lost hope and have been able to stick to the 1200 calorie intake. I've keep reading about how people have upped their calories after hitting a plateau but I'm not sure if that would work for us people that don't have any kind of metabolism.

Good luck to you, to kh145, and everyone else that is going through this. I know we can do it!
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    Unfortunately, cancer loves me and I'm dealing with my 4th bout of it. It's in a lymph node in my neck and inoperable as it's too small to be surgically removed without it being too risky.

Anyway, because I have to live with this cancer in my neck, my endo likes to keep my thryoid levels on the high side to theoretically keep the cancer from growing and spreading. I was alternating days with .2 & .175 mg of Synthroid.
    I found out today that I'm now hyperthyroid. I've lost 20ish lbs since he changed my 'script and I think that's why my levels went too far over. My dose has been changed to a steady .175 mg for now.

I haven't noticed my meds affecting my weight loss though. I can lose weight quite easily.

Hi thanks for writing- I haven't been able to lose weight and i'm at 275mcg or .275 mg. I'm sorry about your recent bouts with cancer. I'll keep you in my thoughts!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2006. It will be 5 years on November the 15th. What type was yours, if you don't mind me asking? Mine was papillary. The doctor had to keep my levels high also, until I had two clean scans. I have my next appt. on Nov. 1 to check my levels. I am an odd ball I think, because when the endo lowered my meds I had an easier time dropping some weight, however I'm kind of stuck right now!
  • redcoat37
    redcoat37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too have thyroid cancer and am dealing with TSH suppression therapy. I am very close to hyper at 0.1 (up from 0.03) six months ago, and yet I can't lose weight and I am tired all the time. I read that a small percentage can actually GAIN while being hyperthyroid. FANTASTIC! I did Jenny Craig and followed it perfectly, exactly 1200 calories a day and given that I am very heavy, you would think the weight would fall of me. NOPE! Spent a ton and lost little. It's so hard...
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    my heart goes out to all cancer survivors.. i admire and honor your bravery
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    I too have thyroid cancer and am dealing with TSH suppression therapy. I am very close to hyper at 0.1 (up from 0.03) six months ago, and yet I can't lose weight and I am tired all the time. I read that a small percentage can actually GAIN while being hyperthyroid. FANTASTIC! I did Jenny Craig and followed it perfectly, exactly 1200 calories a day and given that I am very heavy, you would think the weight would fall of me. NOPE! Spent a ton and lost little. It's so hard...

It is very hard- My body seems to be sleeping!
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2006. It will be 5 years on November the 15th. What type was yours, if you don't mind me asking? Mine was papillary. The doctor had to keep my levels high also, until I had two clean scans. I have my next appt. on Nov. 1 to check my levels. I am an odd ball I think, because when the endo lowered my meds I had an easier time dropping some weight, however I'm kind of stuck right now!

I had pappilary thyroid carcinoma and I have been at an even level since my surgery, for a few short time periods I was hypo for scans, about a month each. My metabolism is just really screwed up- I'm trying to whip it back into shape by eating every three hours and keeping it running!
  • Birder150
    Options

I have papillary as well.
    I hope your appt. goes well. :flowerforyou:
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think those of us with thyroid issues can identify all too well. Still have my thyroid, but it's underactive due to radiation treatment I received for cancer (lymphoma) in 2007. Keeping the right dosage can be a long, laborious process (at least it has been for me); even when things have evened out, I've found the need to have the dosage adjusted a wee bit every six months or so--for me, my energy level seems best balanced when my TSH levels are in the 1-point-something range. This is kind of an aggressive goal, as many doctors feel you're okay if you're in the "normal" range up to 5...but hey, I know my body, and what works best for me. As long as we monitor and don't over-dose, it's good.
  • Birder150
    Options
    I had pappilary thyroid carcinoma and I have been at an even level since my surgery, for a few short time periods I was hypo for scans, about a month each. My metabolism is just really screwed up- I'm trying to whip it back into shape by eating every three hours and keeping it running!

I've completely changed my diet for the most part. (I go off on bingefests and that's why my weight problem persists)

When I'm "behaving", I don't eat any processed food or grains.
    I keep my diet very clean.
    My body just does better on a veggie, fruit, meat & fat program.
    I don't know if that's helped me with being able to lose weight normally. (when I'm "behaving" as I said ... lol)

I found being hypo for my pre-radiation treatments very difficult. HypoHell is what I call it.
    My last time having radiation, there was a medical isotope shortage and my hypohell was extended to 12 weeks! It was awful!
    I gained 11 lbs the first week alone eating at a calorie deficit.

eta: I just read that it's been 3 years since your bout with cancer so my suggestion that it'll take while to adjust is moot. :smile:
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been on levothyroxin since 2009. (still have my thyroid). I have still been able to lose weight once I get serious about. It doesn't seem harder to me since I've lost weight before going on it then after going on it. So you can kind of take me for a yo-yo thyroid guinnea pig I guess :)