Thinking of restricting? Read this!

Options
Even from birth a baby would need 515 calories.
A 1 year old needs 795-920 calories.
A 1-3 year old needs 1300calories!

The recommended daily amount is 2000-2500 for a reason!

AIMED AT SUFFERERS OF ANOREXIA. Some people get so snappy! Only trying to steer you away from self destructing!

Replies

• Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    Wow, is this for real? That's insane... I'm not sure it I believe it, but I'll be thinking about that today... :S
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    But I think they need that much to grow and learn.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

And we are grown-ups. We don't have to learn.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

LOL!

Ps: sources are a good idea when posting "facts" that come off a little preachy.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Wow, is this for real? That's insane... I'm not sure it I believe it, but I'll be thinking about that today... :S

Yes for real! Please keep it in mind on! Don't quote me on this but if I can remember correctly, the brain needs at least 250!
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Haha... I don't know but 1200-1500 cals seems to be the limit here.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options

Age doesn't indicate intelligence. I was taught at school that we need 2000.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    But kids need more calories for their growing bodies. Plus....they are running around (usually) more than we are. We usually sit and watch them run in circles :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes for someone who has stuck to the recommended calorie count for their whole life. But if you have eaten over that and need to lose weight because of a lifetime of overeating, you have to cut your calories.
    Also the older you get or if you are male or female, your calorie count is different too.:wink:
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Post your sources
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Yes for someone who has stuck to the recommended calorie count for their whole life. But if you have eaten over that and need to lose weight because of a lifetime of overeating, you have to cut you calories.
    Also the older you get or if you are male or female, your calorie count is different too.:wink:

As I said 2000 is recommended, I understand where you're coming from.
    This post was mainly aimed at sufferers of anorexia.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Post your sources

She did. She said she learned it "at school." :wink:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes for someone who has stuck to the recommended calorie count for their whole life. But if you have eaten over that and need to lose weight because of a lifetime of overeating, you have to cut you calories.

As I said 2000 is recommended, I understand where you're coming from.
    This post was mainly aimed at sufferers of anorexia.
    Sorry for the assumption.:heart:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

^^^ This. We knew everything by the time we turned 18. Dur.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Post your sources

Didn't think this would create such a fuss. This to help people think before they decided to damage themselves.
    Last year I did a child development module in college. Also in school, I was taught about healthy eating. I thought 2000 calories was common knowledge. Schools really need to pull their socks up.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Healthyeating.aspx a lot of information here on balanced diet. NHS is the British National Health service.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    2000 is recommended for the "average person" to maintain. This average person is 150lbs, I think. I am 150lbs and guess what? My maintenance is right about 2000. Go me.

But smaller women and/or those who want to lose weight will need to eat less than this. There is no "one size fits all" approach to food.

However, yes, a lot of women try to lose weight too quickly and restrict too much. I think 1200 IS too low for a lot of women. I personally don't like to see anyone trying for 2lbs a week unless that person has 50lbs or more to lose. And if you have less than 15 or so you should only try for a half pound a week. And eat your exercise calories.

::steps off soap box::
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Post your sources

Didn't think this would create such a fuss. This to help people think before they decided to damage themselves.
    Last year I did a child development module in college. Also in school, I was taught about healthy eating. I thought 2000 calories was common knowledge. Schools really need to pull their socks up.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Healthyeating.aspx a lot of information here on balanced diet. NHS is the British National Health service.

My schools socks were plenty up! If it weren't for school, I would have never learned how much I hate clicks. Also, I would just like to note that nowhere in your original post did you state that this was directed towards people with ED's.....guess your communications teacher needs to pull her socks up.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    2000 is recommended for the "average person" to maintain. This average person is 150lbs, I think. I am 150lbs and guess what? My maintenance is right about 2000. Go me.

But smaller women and/or those who want to lose weight will need to eat less than this. There is no "one size fits all" approach to food.

However, yes, a lot of women try to lose weight too quickly and restrict too much. I think 1200 IS too low for a lot of women. I personally don't like to see anyone trying for 2lbs a week unless that person has 50lbs or more to lose. And if you have less than 15 or so you should only try for a half pound a week. And eat your exercise calories.

::steps off soap box::

I'd rather see someone eat 2000 cals, even if they weren't average than see themselves starve themselves. Also, to add to your comment about you're grown up, you don't need to learn. Life is a learning process. You either keep learning or stay ignorant.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic about the not-learning thing. I was pointing out the logic flaw in the post above me. I'm a graduate student....
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Post your sources

My schools socks were plenty up! If it weren't for school, I would have never learned how much I hate clicks. Also, I would just like to note that nowhere in your original post did you state that this was directed towards people with ED's.....guess your communications teacher needs to pull her socks up.

At least school told me to learn by my mistake, which I have. I have seen the error of my ways & have added who this is aimed at.