Grocery shopping on a fixed budget?

Options
So today I will be grocery shopping for two weeks. I am on a limited budget ($300). I will be feeding four people (me included) and a one year old. I need some inexpensive ideas for lunches, dinners... meals. Normally I would go and buy a lot of hotdogs, macaroni and cheese and quick fixes that really add up to not such good choices and high calories. Sooo, throw me some ideas. My family isn't going to want to eat what I do, so I need to be able to get some things for myself on some days. I want to pick up fruits and veggies mostly and leaner meat than usual...

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Get a couple of whole chickens and roast them in the oven with some onions and carrots. That will make several meals, even soup from the bones afterward. Oatmeal is a good cheap breakfast. Apples and pears are in season now so you could pick up a lot for pretty cheap.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Get a couple of whole chickens and roast them in the oven with some onions and carrots. That will make several meals, even soup from the bones afterward. Oatmeal is a good cheap breakfast. Apples and pears are in season now so you could pick up a lot for pretty cheap.

Those are all great ideas. Also, rice and black beans with some veggies cooked in with them is a great, complete protein meal.
  • Srbrosseau
    Srbrosseau Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've gone to an almost straight diet of beans and brown rice. This not only saves money but saves pounds as well. Since I run quite a bit, I use smoked salt on the beans and rice and it hasn't gotten old yet.

I use a $20 Aroma rice cooker for the rice and cook about three/four dry cups worth which lasts me a few days (family of four it will definitely last less).

Dry pinto beans can easily be cooked in large batches in a crock pot.

It's not exciting, but it's very healthy and will keep food costs and weight down.

And I definitely agree with Laurayinz about oatmeal for breakfast.

Growing sprouts is a cheap alternative to buying salad for vegetables.
  • PeanutButterKiller
    Options
    i get the jumpo bag of mixed vegies(store brand) its $1.98 and a bag of tyson frozen chicken tenderloins $9.98 and that feeds me for a week, for lunches and snacks at work, i pre-cook the chicken at home and sperate it to indidual portions and then microwave my veggies at work and mix them together, its not the greatest or most exciting but its cheap and healthy. as far as kid options i can help with that as i dont have kids or know anything about them. but i liked turkey sammichs when i was a kid.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Get the Sunday newspaper, start saving up those coupons (2-3 weeks worth) then try www.thegrocerygame.com free trial period...you will be so glad you did! I save 50% - 60% off my weekly grocery bill! I have 3 sons, two are teenagers, I cannot afford to grocery shop any other way!!!
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you are living so your cost of groceries might be higher than mine but here are some ideas:

-Rotiserre chicken...you can eat it as is or cut the meat off and use it for wraps, salads, or sandwhiches. I pay $5.00 for one at Wal- Mart and use it for my lunches for the week.
    -Ground tukey - one pound will get you four turkey burgers or a turkey meatloaf that can feed 4 people.
    -Veggies!! Canned if you need to, not expensive at all.
    -Extra lean ground beef - you can make a casserole with mixed vegetables, cream of mushroom soup and potatoes. Something you and your family might enjoy, you could even add some cheese for the kids.
    -Salad stuff (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, whatever you like on it)
    -EGGS! Do breakfast for dinner. My kids love that and eggs are healthy and filling (lots of protien) with Turkey sausage and hard boil them for snacks with some fruit.
    -Greek Yogurt...add stuff to it or use it in place of sour cream.
    -Bonless skinless chicken breast - You could cut up bell peppers and have chicken fajitas. When I do that for my family I just skip the tortilla and have the chicken and veggies alone to save the calories but there are healthy tortilla options (a bit more expensive though)
    -SOUP, low sodium. You could do grilled cheese and soup but for your "grilled cheese" use low fat cheese and throw some of your rotissere chicken in there for protien.
    -Fresh fruit!! Apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries.
    -Oatmeal, nutrituous cheap and delicious.
    -Beans, black beans, kidney beans, whatever you like. Throw them in with some rice or cooked Quinoa.

Hope these ideas help. Good luck!!! :)
  • hollymcd1027
    Options
    Beans and Rice are good cheap fillers. You can get away with less meat by bulking up chicken dishes or ground beef/turkey with both rice and veggies.

I also have to say that I know family members can be picky, but I don't see a reason why they can't eat the same things you do. You will be eating a healthy well rounded diet.... and they should be too! My son is two and he always just eats the same things as us... and he has since he started eating solid foods. There may be a bit of a struggle at the beginning and you may have to work your way up to it to get all the kids on board, but it will be worth it in the long run for both your budget AND your kid's health!
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Whole wheat spagetti w/ turkey and chilli w/ turkey. I usually have lots of left overs for lunches too. You're in the same boat as the rest of us, it's tough!
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Lentils and beans are both cheap and can be added to a lot of meals to make them more filling, making the more expensive ingredients go further. I add them to all my vegetable soups and they make them more filling without adding bad calories. Also if you like spicy foods try Daal quite simple to make, and as it is lentil based it is full of protein and fibre and very cheap. My children 3 and 5 both love it with naan or pitta bread (i dont make it too spicy)
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    your first savings will come from making your menu ahead of time and shopping for 2 weeks of food at once..great start! Also homemade meals vs pre packaged are always less expensive, so you are on the right track. Soups, salads, rice beans etc are all great ideas too. You can take any meat and make it last for several meals, we eat a lot of leftovers for lunches so that is helpful too. I know when I make lasagne or a casserole it lasts for several lunches afterwards ( a family of 4 isn't going to make one meal last a week, but it can make a couple good lunches for all). About once a week we have "left over" night where we eat the misc items that have not gotten eaten up to that point. I know some people also throw them together in a casserole of some sort.
  • nikkiloseit
    nikkiloseit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I practically live off fish and chicken breast! However, I am on a college budget, so the fish is only for special occasions/ or I buy some tilapia. I buy bone-in and skinned chicken breast. It costs less, and you can remove the bone and fat yourself. I also invest in quite a bit of spices so I can have more of a variety. Besides, spices aren't too expensive if you buy the small ones. Buy fresh veggies and not the prepackaged ones, it will last longer, be less expensive, and it is much more versitile. Try to stray away from processed foods such as deli products as much as possible. It really isn't good for you and your growing family. Buy family sized boxes of brown rice and other goods, you get more of a deal for much less. Also look online for healthy coupons to help your budget. Don't be afraid to buy some tortilla chips and making some pico de gallo. It is a nice and healthy snack, and quite inexpensive. As for the chips, try to look through them all and find the one with the least amount of sodium, and find the chip with lower than a 1.5 in sat. fats. I would invest on flatbreads that aren't too expensive if you buy the Nature's Own ones. For yourself, I would buy an original rotisserie chicken and give the dark meat to the kids and husband and shred up the rest for the week. it lasts for a long time if well sealed and you can use it for a quick dinner or lunch. Some whole grain pasta is also nice to purchase.

Hope this helps!
  • skinnyquinny84
    skinnyquinny84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of rice and steamed tuna and zuchinni. And we shop at Aldi and that has changed my life!! The prices are excellent! Good Luck.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I always shop on a budget (around £200) for a month for 2 adults. I find the only way to do it is to plan every meal for the whole week, planning to use what's in the cupboards and freezer first then make meals up from there. We dont tend to buy that much meat or fish as it's expensive and mainly cook pastas, cous cous, type things always from scratch, no convenienve foods at all. The secret in saving however is in the planning.
  • andreaeose777
    andreaeose777 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really have to cut down my grocery budget and it’s so hard to shop for that many people with that low of budget. The one thing you have to make sure of is that your not feeding your children crap to make up the cost difference so you can eat healthy. Look up some stew recipes that go in the crock pot, you can do a lb of stew meat with all kinds of frozen veggies for cheap and eat it for a quite a few meals. I usually put 3 or 4 potatoes in, stewed tomatoes, a bag of frozen spinach, a bag of green beans, and any other veggie I have left in my freezer put some spices with it, and some beef broth(buy bullion cubes it cheaper) and there’s a dinner for probably less then 10 dollars and the family can eat it twice. My go to for my 1 year old is sweet potatoes, they are wonderful for her, and she loves them and they are so easy to make. Put this with some kind of meat or cheese and it’s a full meal. I also feed my 1 year old yogurt and bananas a lot. Do not buy the “kid” yogurt it’s too expensive and has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. Just buy the regular FULL FAT Yogurt, and mash a half of banana in it. That big thing of yogurt will last 2 weeks for snacks. I also make her smoothies with frozen berries. For breakfast for my child and me sometimes, I don’t make buy any processed food. For a healthy pancake buy some Oat Flour (found in a health food store it $3.30 for a lb of it) and Oatmeal (you can buy this in bulk for .89 cents a lb), with canned pumpkin or ripe bananas, or blueberries and make them into pancakes. With 4 cups oat flour and 2 cups oatmeal, 6 eggs, (and whatever other kind of fruit you decide to sweeten it up with) you could make probably close to 30 pancakes. Take those and freeze them for breakfast, and it’s a cheap cheap breakfast and it’s nutritious This is a good recipe to start with. Just double it, and if you want to add pumpkin or bananas just cut down on the other liquids:
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=236

Another cheap breakfast is breakfast burritos, the entire family can eat these also, just use more sautéed veggies in with yours then the other family members would eat for a low calorie breakfast. My one year old every morning has 1 egg, some cheese, and Oatmeal muffin, or pancake (that’s homemade and non processed)

As for lunch. I used to buy a huge bag of green beans, some turkey sausage one can of spaghetti sauce, mix it all together and eat it for my lunches. That 3 days of lunches less then 8 dollars. Do not buy prepacked lunches they are incredibly expensive, your better off doing stir fry for yourself and then splitting into multiple days.

The moral of the story here is stay away from processed prepacked food. Always buy frozen veggies rarely fresh because they are more expensive, and only buy fruit that is season, or frozen berries. Learn how to cook and freeze stuff so it lasts longer. So for dinners try theme weeks, like mexican so all your ingredients are the same but you just use them in different ways, this way you only have to buy one kind of spice or herb. Okay I’m done talking your ear off :)
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options

The moral of the story here is stay away from processed prepacked food. Always buy frozen veggies rarely fresh because they are more expensive, and only buy fruit that is season, or frozen berries. Learn how to cook and freeze stuff so it lasts longer. So for dinners try theme weeks, like mexican so all your ingredients are the same but you just use them in different ways, this way you only have to buy one kind of spice or herb. Okay I’m done talking your ear off :)

Theme week is a great idea! It seems like when I am "in the mood" for something I always want it for several days in a row. Leftovers don't bore me. What a great way to save money too!

Remember it is YOUR job to teach your children how to eat. If they grow up eating rice and beans and vegetables, they are going to have a better diet when they are in their 20s. I wish my parents would have fed us more chicken and fish and rice when we were little. I had to learn to like it. It took me a long time to get over the cravings for meat and potatoes!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    "I really have to cut down my grocery budget and it’s so hard to shop for that many people with that low of budget."

Not when you Grocery Game it isn't!! Sales with coupons is the way to go!!!
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Get the Sunday newspaper, start saving up those coupons (2-3 weeks worth) then try www.thegrocerygame.com free trial period...you will be so glad you did! I save 50% - 60% off my weekly grocery bill! I have 3 sons, two are teenagers, I cannot afford to grocery shop any other way!!!

I agree! I have a family of 7! We spend $150 a week on groceries and non-food things (tpaper, soap, etc). Coupons can save so much!! Even if you only use them on non-food things then you'll have that money to put towards food. The best way to use them is to look at your store's sale flyer for the week and then match a coupon up with the sale. That is the key to saving a ton. There are a million couponing websites that will help you with matchups and most are FREE!

Also try the clearance sections of your grocery store. There is usually one in the meat, dairy, and produce sections. You can get salad that is close to expiring for $1.50 or less. Then just make sure to have it that night for dinner. For meat if you get something close to expiring it can be as much as 30%- 50% off. Just freeze it right away and then when you defrost it for dinner cook it that night. We get Salmon and steak all the time from the clearance section. Dairy can be trickier but all different types of yogurt are on clearance all the time. Just watch that they aren't already expired. I take it home and put it directly into the freezer. My kids will eat it frozen like it's ice cream. They love the stuff!

Eggs are super cheap! For breakfast we like to scramble eggs with some ham, veggies, and cheese. Potatos also help to stretch the eggs further. You can wrap then up for burritos or have it with toast.
  • PompousClock
    Options
    Use your grocery store's ad circular to make a meal plan. If you can't think of meals that use the produce and meats that are on sale, type in the ingredients into allrecipes.com; plenty of options there, and each recipe tells you the nutritional content of each serving.

Make one night a week vegetarian. Great way to use up vegetables by the end of the week and stretches your imagination for meals. Right now, squashes are in season and on sale. This site has plenty of recipes for spaghetti squash (I'm making it tonight with Laughing Cow wedges for a mock fettucine alfredo, topped with diced chicken & wilted spinach), or try baked acorn squash filled with rice, diced onions/bell peppers/garlic, and topped with cheese, set under the broiler until it melts and just browns.