Jealous

I see everyone doing these great workouts (30 DS, etc) and I'm extremely jealous. I want to have the same results and would love to do those type of workouts. Unforunately, my knees (and other joints) won't let me do them. My knee is aching right now because I did 15 minutes on a recumbent bike and 10 minutes on my elliptical. I talked with an exercise physiologist and this is all I can do for cardio (up to 5 times a week). I have also to a light weight training program that I do 2-3 times a week. I'm just discouraged and wish things could be different because these workouts don't burn many calories.

Replies

• can you do swimming? it was my understanding that this would serve as an excellent way to work out
  • kerriavr
    kerriavr Posts: 20 Member
    can you do swimming? it was my understanding that this would serve as an excellent way to work out

I haven't found any indoor pools. While I live in Northwest Florida, the mornings are a bit brisk even if the outdoor pool is heated. I'll look into it though.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    SWIMMING!!! It's worth it even if you have to pay for a membership at a gym that has a pool or maybe your local town pool or something.

No excuses, do what you gotta do.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Can you go for walks? Do you live near any hills? I get a great, low-impact calorie burn from walking hills! About 600 (or more) calories in an hour is pretty normal for me.
  • can you do swimming? it was my understanding that this would serve as an excellent way to work out

swimming IS excellent. gets your heartrate up, and that's all you need for cardio. No pressure on the knees there!
  • No excuses, do what you gotta do.

EXACTLY
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    I do the 30 day shred, I am on like. day 120...lol. But the first time I did it I damaged my knees and it was almost a year before I could give it a second try. I substitute a lot. I dont do any lunges or squats. My pushups are done against the wall. Some of the balancing exercises I do lying on the floor on my back instead. I just keep moving, but I am always aware of my knees. When I am having a really bad day sometimes just doing the punches for the entire cardio segment helps me. I will probably never be able to do everything that the people on the TV are doing, but I am doing something.

Also, like the previous person said...swimming is awesome. I swam nearly every day from June to August and it was my main workout. I didnt even feel like I was working out!

good luck. Dont get discouraged. Also remember that the heavier you are the more calories you burn. So if I am heavier than you, we could do the same exact workout but I would burn more. It is the only time it has ever been beneficial for me to be bigger, lol.

Tracet
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    In the UK they do Aqua Aerobics classes this is cardio but up to your chest in water, or they do a deep water class where you wear a flotation belt so there is no pressure on your joints at all. The benefits are that even people with dodgy joints can do it as the water supports you, you burn a lot of calories and as a bonus you don't sweat. Maybe there is something like that you can do.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    You can los weight with just diet alone, I've seen it done many times.. BUT yes get into a pool!!!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 628 Member
    What part of North West Florida? I live in Shalimar Fl and I think there is a YMCA in Ft. Walton Beach that has a small swimming pool..
  • I just found the greatest idea ever! Aqua Zumba!!