Don't know what to do anymore :(

Options
So far, in about 2 months time I lost close to 20lbs, but recently I've hit 'a wall' and I haven't lost anything in weeks. I've been staying at the same weight, so it's better than going up, but no matter what I do I just stay the same. I lowered my calorie intake limit, added extra/more intense exercise. Normally I would just walk/jog 5ish miles, so far I've added lap swimming, kick boxing, and cardio dance classes. I'm starting to get very discouraged since no matter how hard I'm trying, I'm not seeing any results. If anybody had a similar problem, I would love to hear how you pushed passed 'a wall' :)

Replies

• MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Watches thread as sharing boat with op.......
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories!! Are you doing this? It works wonders!

And don't give up. Plateaus happen to everyone.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Try INCREASING your calories rather than decreasing.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..well, I can't view your food diary...and can't see what's really going on? If you can open it..maybe I can help??
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough.... sounds backwards, right? But, your body may feel it's not getting enough so whatever you are putting in, it's keeping. Try upping your calories for a week or two then going back to 1200.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I cant see your food diary, but for me when i plateaued i was told to add more protein. It worked for me, that and lowering my sodium.

If you want to add me as a friend or share your diary id be happy to see if there is anything i can recommend.

Good Luck :)
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    We'll need to see your diary in order to help. Go to Settings > Diary Settings > Diary Sharing and change to Public.

I wouldn't have lowered your calories...if anything you'll need more if you are exercising a lot. Try re-setting your caloric intake to what it was when you were losing weight. My sis-in-law only eats back half of her exercise calories. Whatever works for you, stick with it!
  • foraMEthatiLOVE
    Options
    I tried to look at your food diary but could not see it... how is your nutrition? I'm not talking about the amount of calories you consume in a day, I'm talking about what you consume... whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lots of water, protein...
  • bbabs99
    bbabs99 Posts: 51
    Options
    How are you feeling? How are your clothes feeling? What about inches? Pounds are a superficial number that don't tell the whole story. If you've been changing up your exercise, you could be gaining muscle, it could be some water weight. Focus on less quantifiable goals and more qualifiable. Weight loss isn't about a number.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I repeat the same about increasing your calories rather than decreasing. When you exercise more, you need more calories, or your body could freak out and try to hold on to fat to keep you from starvation. It's a natural reaction.

Also, don't count on the scale alone. With all that extra exercise, you could be losing fat but building more lean muscle. Check your measurements, look at how your clothes are fitting, etc. Look at your health and energy, too. How do you feel without looking at the number on the scale?

The scale is a nasty thing to base health on. Don't give up--just look at your health rather than your weight and you might be pleasantly surprised. And eat. Your body needs it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I agree about increasing vs decreasing your calories. Our bodies need enough food in order to feel comfortable enough to lose weight. When we are restricting our calories and working out really hard - it starts to freak out, worry it is going to starve to death and stops losing weight. Try increasing your calories by a couple of hundred for a few weeks (it takes a little while for our body to realize we've changed something) and see what happens. I've ALWAYS had good luck increasing my calories. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Eat, seriously

l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    V
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It does happen!! Any changes you make take time to kick in and changes to your excerse plan can mean that you will have an increase for a week or so and then start dropping again! It's just muscle so don't wory! Keep at it and dont give up! You can do it!!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I cant see your food diary, but for me when i plateaued i was told to add more protein. It worked for me, that and lowering my sodium.

If you want to add me as a friend or share your diary id be happy to see if there is anything i can recommend.

Good Luck :)

I was told to do that also and it worked! It didn't make sense at the time but it worked :)
  • Kellbellftw
    Kellbellftw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll have to try switching my intake back up. When I noticed I really wasn't moving anywhere I was at 1850 cals a day, and turned it down to 1650. Then, Ijust recently (about the past week and a half) started doing the extra exercises, and I normally eat back my cals. Most of my food is low-cal, low-fat homemade food. (I get most of my recipes off these message boards lol) I'll also start measuring as soon as I can run out and get a measuring tape! I know not too concentrate too much on the scale number, but after doing so well (probably the best I've done ever! haha) I just want to keep seeing the number going donw! lol
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll have to try switching my intake back up. When I noticed I really wasn't moving anywhere I was at 1850 cals a day, and turned it down to 1650. Then, Ijust recently (about the past week and a half) started doing the extra exercises, and I normally eat back my cals. Most of my food is low-cal, low-fat homemade food. (I get most of my recipes off these message boards lol) I'll also start measuring as soon as I can run out and get a measuring tape! I know not too concentrate too much on the scale number, but after doing so well (probably the best I've done ever! haha) I just want to keep seeing the number going donw! lol

Any time you change your exercise you will gain some water weight initially, just saying
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    increase calories!