How to set mini goals?

Options
Hey everyone!
I haven't ever set mini goals because I don't know what is realistic. I was wondering if any of you could help with setting a guideline of easy to set and stick to mini goals.
If any of you have set them and accomplished them, I'd love to know! I just need realistic ones for myself and I'm at a loss as to what would be realistic.
My first mini goal is to lose 5 pounds by November 3rd. Realistic?
Thanks so much!

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    id say about a lb a week is realistic, however your first week or so you will probably shed some water weight so maybe it is realistic.
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes it is Possible, But only if YOU take charge! Learn from everyone, Only then can you Figure what's best for you!
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps.
    I started a group 4 weeks ago with a goal of losing 5% which was 7lbs and change for me....The challenge is 6 weeks long and so far im down 5 lbs with 2 weeks to go. But there are quite a few in the group that are having trouble and don't think they are going to make the 5% goal with the remaining 2 weeks...
    Goals are important but don't beat your self up over not achieving them its just important that your doing the best you can.
  • ndaney
    ndaney Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time setting mini goals for myself but have now started. I go week by week. My goal is 1 pound a week and if I am over that goal that is great. I have been been losing on average 2 pounds per week for the last month. I am trying not to look to far in the future as I know that has always been my downfall. Pick one day a week for weighing in and just focus on that day. I had a bad weekend food wise and was up this morning on the scale but my official weigh in day is Thursday so I will not be discouraged. I hope that helps. Good luck in setting your mini goals.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    "They" (whoever "they" are) say that a healthy weight loss is between .5 and 2 lb per week. You're talking about 5 lb in 2 1/2 weeks, which is the high end of that, 2 lb a week. If you think you can do it, go for it!

When I divided mine up, I have a pretty big goal of 150 lb total, so I gave myself 1.5 lb per week or 6 lb per month. There are several months with 5 weeks instead of 4, but I ignored that, which gives me a little extra leeway. Don't forget that you can add non-scale goals, too, like "fitting into a size __ " or "able to run __ miles."

Also, I would save your chart on a computer file to make it easier to modify it. I've been averaging 5 lb a month rather than the 6 I'd planned on, so I keep having to readjust my goals. Sigh. But, hey, a loss is still a loss! And the mini-goals really do help motivate me to stay on track.

Good luck to you!