staying strong through the holidays

Hi everyone, this is not a challenge but more of a " I really need good practical advice"
I have tried to be good but I am so scared of what is around the corner because, well to put it mildly, I have a super sweet tooth. I thougth that I could manage with the whole avoid the scene and only indulge once in a while but as proven to me this weekend, I don't seem to have the willpower - I have gained back 3 pounds in 2 days:cry:

So, what have you guys tried that has helped get you through the holidays without becoming a complete recluse (not an option since I heart family!)? I want to maintain a 1lb weight loss per week through this time. I run about 40 mins 3 - 4 times a week but my weight doesn't budge....

HELP!!!!!!!!!

thanks.

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    If Holidays are few and far between then don't worry about it, sure i gained 3Lbs during my last holiday but overall for that month i lost more than the month prior. I have a Holiday coming up soon and instead of feeling anxious i will let my hair down for a week, eat/drink what i want (which strangly isn't much any more!) and get right back on track when i return.
    I beleive the change helps speed up the metabolism.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    3 pounds in 2 days may be normal weight fluctuation. Weigh yourself once a week, at the same time.
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Whew, when you find out, please let me know..I have been doing really well switching over to sugar free items, changing out the sugar and flour in my house to splenda and whole wheat, etc. Make the things around you healthy, however this will be my first holiday while maintaing a healthy lifestyle..naturally I'm a little nervous too, but keep popping in online here, I'm sure there will be tons of advice, recipes, and reminders to stay focused!! Good Luck

Kiki
  • kelleymfrost
    kelleymfrost Posts: 15 Member
    I focus on maintaining during the holidays. So I can indulge in my favorite things...without going crazy.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    3 pounds in 2 days may be normal weight fluctuation. Weigh yourself once a week, at the same time.

I agree. 3lbs in 2 days is within the range of the body just doing it's thing. Remember, it is more difficult to completely restrain from the sweets than to maintain. Have a half of a slice instead of a whole. Drink plenty of water before each meal or snack. Lastly, and more importantly, don't beat yourself up about it. It takes will power, determination, and hard work. We all know that it won't be easy. If you slip, then so what. You have 365 days of the year to correct it. Focus on the journey, not the destination, and you may be able to find that little bit extra will power you so desperately seek. Good luck!
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    The holidays are my problem months, too. I had lost 100lbs., and put 30 back on last year (but took it all off and then some after I found MFP this past summer).

I'm spending the holidays with my mil and she refuses to do healthy options so I'm just bringing along my food scale and hoping I make the right choices. I eat clean year round and hardly if ever cheat, so I'm not even going to log. I'm not one to suggest moderation to people (because crap is still crap wether you eat a little or a lot of it) but family gatherings to me, are forgiven.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    I want to hear some suggestions, too! My daughter had a Hallowwen party this weekend and I thought I could avoid all those fun size Twix bars, but I was wrong! Up one pound today - even though I know I didn't eat 3500 calories of them! One thing I read that Jillian Michaels said was that you need to pick your days to celebrate and not have the time between Halloween and New Years be one long celebration. Just pick a few days that you can indulge and stick with your plan the rest of the time. xoxo
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    I want to hear some suggestions, too! My daughter had a Hallowwen party this weekend and I thought I could avoid all those fun size Twix bars, but I was wrong! Up one pound today - even though I know I didn't eat 3500 calories of them! One thing I read that Jillian Michaels said was that you need to pick your days to celebrate and not have the time between Halloween and New Years be one long celebration. Just pick a few days that you can indulge and stick with your plan the rest of the time. xoxo

One thing I do is at the end of the night on Halloween my last trick or treater gets whatever is left in the candy dish. So, some lucky kid usually gets 20 candy bars from me since I always over buy candy.
  • artdhi_a
    artdhi_a Posts: 14 Member
    thank you all for the motivation. Sometimes it is easy to think that I am the ONLY ONE not sticking to my goals...keep the advice coming and let's all keep motivating each other *hugs*