bartending tips...

Options
I'm a bartender 4 nights a week, and in the worst state ever. Wisconsin. So I am definatly having a hard time losing weight. It's my job to drink with my customers, and shake dice (play games for shots), and I believe that it's one of the reasons for me not meeting my goals. And if I didn't drink with my customers, I wouldn't have a job. (Again, It's Wisconsin!) I go all day with eating right and exercise, and than I get to work, and it pretty much feels like I went thru the day for nothing because of all the calories and everything I'm getting by working. Anyone got any ideas for me? I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.

Replies

• larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Can you tell them you want to maintain your girlish figure and compromise with a half shot?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Underpour your drinks. By a lot.
  • jspindel
    Options
    can you pour your shots out of a special bottle...ie one that has been cleaned and filled with water?
  • jspindel
    Options
    can you pour your shots out of a special bottle...ie one that has been cleaned and filled with water?
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Shots are always easy to hide, Have a chaser and once you drink the shot look as if your chasing it, but really you spit it into the bottle, keep the bottle under the bar. Also have a stash of beer bottles with water in them, that way you look like your drinking beer but really its just water :-D

Tell your boss his stock will be great because of this, cause when a punter buys you a drink you charge them, but the drink stays in the fridge, so the stock levels are higher than what supposed to be cause it thinks its been sold.

Win Win IMO :-D

I worked in bars for over 6years in the UK so trust me this works :-D
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Can you pretend to drink? For example, pour yourself a diet coke and just say its a rum and coke?
  • spacy79
    Options
    I'm a bartender too and I had the same problem. I was lucky though, we switched owners and are no longer allowed to drink behind the bar. (Though it hasn't helped me much, not the point). The point is, there are only a few people who get upset when i shake dice and don't take a shot. I still play, but if they lose, they buy me a drink card so I can enjoy a beverage of my choice when I'm off shift and in visiting. In the last three years, I've only had maybe three people give me a hard time.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    yeah just pretend if u can!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Shots are always easy to hide, Have a chaser and once you drink the shot look as if your chasing it, but really you spit it into the bottle, keep the bottle under the bar. Also have a stash of beer bottles with water in them, that way you look like your drinking beer but really its just water :-D

Tell your boss his stock will be great because of this, cause when a punter buys you a drink you charge them, but the drink stays in the fridge, so the stock levels are higher than what supposed to be cause it thinks its been sold.

Win Win IMO :-D

I worked in bars for over 6years in the UK so trust me this works :-D

This
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Keep your spit Beer! Brown beer bottle chaser that instead of drinking it you just spit the shot in to it! This is a great trick for Not drinking it but letting your customers see you do a shot with a beer chaser! Great Great technique used for years because here in Alabama its the same way but most owners limit you to only really drinking 1-2 a night so you are capable to do your job well!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    I love it. "My state made me an overweight alcoholic".

Lawyers must :heart: Wisconsin.
  • rnaycheslock
    Options
    thanks everyone for your ideas, I will have to try them out. I am pretty good about making my drinks with no alcohol in them so that parts easy. Just the shot part isn't. And I work in a small town, where everyone has known me for years, many of them have known me since I was 20, and know I don't ever drink beer, so the chaser thing might be alittle hard to make believeable and pull off, but I will give it a shot. I appreciate all the advice and help! :):):)
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Doesn't need to beer, chase it with juice and tell them you hate the after taste of a shot but don't want to turn down free booze. You will soon become a legend when your still standing after an 8hr shift and loads of free drink thrown your way. :-D