Thinking of restricting? Read this!

Options
2»

Replies

• LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic about the not-learning thing. I was pointing out the logic flaw in the post above me. I'm a graduate student....

Please accept my apologies, it's not as easy to detect sarcasm through text.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic about the not-learning thing. I was pointing out the logic flaw in the post above me. I'm a graduate student....

Please accept my apologies, it's not as easy to detect sarcasm through text.

Sense of humor....getcha some.
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    And by kids-babies having to learn I meant that they have to build and connect millions of neurons every minute to learn to hear, smell, see, understand, talk, walk, languages etc, etc. They are born with huge heads compared to their body because the brain is big and heavy and has to be filled with lots new skills. This I learned from National Geographic Inside the living body. An awesome documentary that follows women from birth to death and tell what's happening in different stages.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    And by kids-babies having to learn I meant that they have to build and connect millions of neurons every minute to learn to hear, smell, see, understand, talk, walk, languages etc, etc. They are born with huge heads compared to their body because the brain is big and heavy and has to be filled with lots new skills. This I learned from National Geographic The living body. An awesome documentary that follows women from birth to death and tell what's happening in different stages.

Guess what I'll be watching tonight :P.
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    :) Good idea. It is very well made and very detailed. I didn't complete mine, but I guess I should tonight too. Oh correction: It's called National Geographic- Inside the living body.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    2000 is recommended for the "average person" to maintain. This average person is 150lbs, I think. I am 150lbs and guess what? My maintenance is right about 2000. Go me.

But smaller women and/or those who want to lose weight will need to eat less than this. There is no "one size fits all" approach to food.

However, yes, a lot of women try to lose weight too quickly and restrict too much. I think 1200 IS too low for a lot of women. I personally don't like to see anyone trying for 2lbs a week unless that person has 50lbs or more to lose. And if you have less than 15 or so you should only try for a half pound a week. And eat your exercise calories.

::steps off soap box::

I'd rather see someone eat 2000 cals, even if they weren't average than see themselves starve themselves. Also, to add to your comment about you're grown up, you don't need to learn. Life is a learning process. You either keep learning or stay ignorant.

There is no set intake for any one person. We are all different and different things work for you than what works for me or anyone else for that matter.

I don't count calories, I will not be chained to a number. I eat when I am hungry and I don't eat when I am not.

Eating by the clock (every couple of hours), counting calories, etc are all ways of being chained to numbers and schedules. I need freedom from food because those other ways just do not work for me.

Eating REAL, whole, unprocessed and fresh foods (meats, vegetables and some fruit) when I am hungry is what works for me and I am getting all the necessary things my body needs.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Great post! It's always nice to be reminded that restricting is NOT the way to go if your goal is HEALTH!!!

As a recovered anorexic/EDNOS, I appreciate hearing this. :heart:
  • Grokette
    Options
    Great post! It's always nice to be reminded that restricting is NOT the way to go if your goal is HEALTH!!!

As a recovered anorexic/EDNOS, I appreciate hearing this. :heart:

And being a vegan is not being restrictive????????
  • alanabancroft
    Options
    Being a vegan is not being restrictive. It is a way of eating natural, good for you foods while trying to help the enviorment. Vegans are some of the healthiest and most educated people when it comes to food and its affects on the body. I am not a vegan, my sister is, and she could run circles around your head about nutrition. This site is for support, not negativity. Take it somewhere else.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Being a vegan is not being restrictive. It is a way of eating natural, good for you foods while trying to help the enviorment. Vegans are some of the healthiest and most educated people when it comes to food and its affects on the body. I am not a vegan, my sister is, and she could run circles around your head about nutrition. This site is for support, not negativity. Take it somewhere else.

I am not the one being negative. I am asking a question about how Veganism is not restrictive. I used to dabble in Veganism and Vegetarianism so I know first hand how restrictive it is.

Don't twist my words and make it sound negative when it was merely a question - which I already know the answer to.

It is very restrictive to the point of not consuming any animal products and it is counter-productive of helping the environment actually.

I get tired of the statements about a low carb plan that is whole foods based being soooo restrictive and people viewing veganism as some utmost healthy way of life and its not. Veganism is way more restrictive than a low carb lifestyle ever thought about being and I highly doubt she could run circles around me where nutrition and health are concerned.

I have been down the road of being a vegan and ended up sick behind it and I am not the only one and I wasn't eating incorrectly either.
  • alanabancroft
    Options
    "And being a vegan is not being restrictive???????? "

If you were asking nicely how it is not, you might not want to ?????? it to death.

I never mentioned low carb and do not care to go into that.

Thats nice that you "dabbled" in it, but she has been a vegetarian since she was 10 and a vegan since she was 18. She is now 26 and is one of the healthest people anyone will meet. I'm sure she could educate all of us about it.

All diets are "restrictive", hence the word diet. Limiting your calories, not eating that donut, that is being "restrictive". Being a vegan is not a diet, it is a lifestyle. I am fully aware that that vegans do not eat animal products or by products. But it is much more than that. It is about being aware of what is in your food and the process it took to get it that way. As it for not being enviormentaly friendly, if everyone was a vegan, we would have no need for factories to butcher animals and no need to abuse animals at all. That is another discussion I refused to get inoved with at this time.

Do not jump to conclusions that because someone is a vegan they are restricting. They are simply more aware of what they are consuming and are eating what we are truely meant to eat. My main point of my first post was to defend her for choosing to be a vegan, and if you choose to question someone's lifestyle, try to do so in a kinder manner.
  • VeganGal84
    Options
    I realize that I'm defending myself a little late here (posted then went to lunch) but- I eat a much wider variety of foods as a vegan than I ever did as an animal-eater!
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes for someone who has stuck to the recommended calorie count for their whole life. But if you have eaten over that and need to lose weight because of a lifetime of overeating, you have to cut your calories.
    Also the older you get or if you are male or female, your calorie count is different too.:wink:

Agree
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    And we are grown-ups. We don't have to learn.
    Haha... I don't know but 1200-1500 cals seems to be the limit here.
    [/quote]

learn is okay but the growning part at least for my self not so much
  • Grokette
    Options
    "And being a vegan is not being restrictive???????? "

If you were asking nicely how it is not, you might not want to ?????? it to death.

I never mentioned low carb and do not care to go into that.

Thats nice that you "dabbled" in it, but she has been a vegetarian since she was 10 and a vegan since she was 18. She is now 26 and is one of the healthest people anyone will meet. I'm sure she could educate all of us about it.

All diets are "restrictive", hence the word diet. Limiting your calories, not eating that donut, that is being "restrictive". Being a vegan is not a diet, it is a lifestyle. I am fully aware that that vegans do not eat animal products or by products. But it is much more than that. It is about being aware of what is in your food and the process it took to get it that way. As it for not being enviormentaly friendly, if everyone was a vegan, we would have no need for factories to butcher animals and no need to abuse animals at all. That is another discussion I refused to get inoved with at this time.

Do not jump to conclusions that because someone is a vegan they are restricting. They are simply more aware of what they are consuming and are eating what we are truely meant to eat. My main point of my first post was to defend her for choosing to be a vegan, and if you choose to question someone's lifestyle, try to do so in a kinder manner.

I am happy to see that you are a mind reader and can see intent and voice inflection in some words on a computer screen.

And yes, the vegan lifestyle is very restrictive. EXCLUDING any part of what people normally eat is called restriction.

And I live the Paleo LIFESTYLE, which is restrictive in another manner, but for someone to say the vegan lifestyle is not restrictive is flat out not right.
  • VeganGal84
    Options

And yes, the vegan lifestyle is very restrictive. EXCLUDING any part of what people normally eat is called restriction.

I respectfully disagree. And I'm outta here! :yawn:
  • pauperlunatic
    Options
    no matter how many times you tell an ED sufferer that they need a certain amount of calories a day to function/live or whatever, they aren't going to listen to you, its not all about the calories and the food etc...
  • newarkco05
    Options
    Post your sources

She did. She said she learned it "at school." :wink:

Didn't think this would create such a fuss. This to help people think before they decided to damage themselves.
    Last year I did a child development module in college. Also in school, I was taught about healthy eating. I thought 2000 calories was common knowledge. Schools really need to pull their socks up.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Healthyeating.aspx a lot of information here on balanced diet. NHS is the British National Health service.

My schools socks were plenty up! If it weren't for school, I would have never learned how much I hate clicks. Also, I would just like to note that nowhere in your original post did you state that this was directed towards people with ED's.....guess your communications teacher needs to pull her socks up.

Yes she did... Take a look at her original post again... It says people get snappy and it was directed to those with anorexia
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

I respectfully disagree. And I'm outta here! :yawn:

sorry but she is right in that vegan is restrictive, as is paleo, as is atkins, as is any low carb as well as low fat.
    Restrictive does not necessarily mean bad.

if you wanted to truly live withour restrictions you would eat all the crappy food as well as good, drink to excess , add smoking. For that matter who cares about the laws, they are restrictive.

certain of lifes restriction are what keeps me from slitting my co workers throat with a scalpel blade when she sits on her lazy fat *kitten* all day watching law and order, while i do all the work then she turns around an ask me to do parts of her job