Meatless Monday

Options
Anyone have tasty suggestions for dinner?

Replies

• avaloneternal
    Options
    I just made a crockpot of split pea (no ham) soup. Yummy, I love autumn :)
  • conawayk
    Options
    Sorry missed the meatless part
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Parmesan!
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Who needs meat! Try Vegetarian lasagna with plenty of veggies, minestrone soup, any whole grain pasta with veggies, black bean burgers, Tortilla soup, Chili, whatever you feel like can be made meatless. Even meatloaf - I call my meatless version 'meet' loaf :).
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Veggie soup.

Serves 4 people
    Ingredients
    Albertsons - French Sliced Green Beans, Frozen, 2 cup (83g) 60 10 0 2 0 0
    Albertsons - Celery Stalks, 3 stalks 19 4 0 1 94 0
    Peas - Green, frozen, unprepared, 1 cup 111 20 1 8 161 0
    College Inn Chicken Broth - Fat Free & Low Sodium - Chicken Broth, 6 cup 30 0 0 6 2,700 0
    Peppers - Jalapeno, raw, 1 pepper 4 1 0 0 0 0
    Carrots - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 52 12 0 1 88 0
    Celery - Raw, 1 cup chopped 14 3 0 1 81 0
    Stop and Shop - Chopped Onion- Frozen, 2/3 cup 30 6 0 0 10 0
    Bird's Eye - Frozen Broccoli Florets, 1 Cup 30 4 0 1 20 0
    Albertson's - Cauliflower Florets (Frozen), 2 cup (86g) 50 8 0 2 50 0
    Americas Choice - Diced Tomatoes No Salt, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 88 18 0 4 70 0

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Chol

Total: 488 86 1 26 3274 0
    Per Serving: 122 22 0 7 819 0
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

LOL Couldn't help myself!
  • melissalan
    melissalan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    At this very moment, I am eating a veggie pasta-
    Bow tie pasta
    Fresh diced tomatoes
    Fresh blanched spinach
    Dash of sea salt
    Teaspoon of Light Italian dressing

Yum
  • misstonico
    Options
    Red Lentil Soup
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    A little history for those too young to know...

During World War I, the U.S. Food Administration urged families to reduce consumption of key staples to aid the war effort. “Food Will Win the War,” the government proclaimed, and “Meatless Monday” and “Wheatless Wednesday” were introduced to encourage Americans to do their part.
    Herbert Hoover, then head of the Food Administration, spearheaded implementation of the campaign. In addition to advertising, his office created and distributed recipe booklets and menus in newspapers, magazines and pamphlets.
    The effect was overwhelming. Some 10 million families, 7,000 hotels and nearly 425,000 food dealers pledged to observe national meatless days. In November 1917, New York City hotels saved some 116 tons of meat over the course of just one week. According to a 1929 Saturday Evening Post article, “Americans began to look seriously into the question of what and how much they were eating. Lots of people discovered for the first time that they could eat less and feel no worse – frequently for the better”.
    The campaign returned during World War II and beyond, when Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman used rationing to help feed war-ravaged Europe.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Love going meatless!

I like to make quiches with lots of veggies, cheese and a Bisquick crust.

Tons of good veggie based soups are good to make too and feed a crowd. My favorite is minestrone!

Minestrone
    2 cans red kidney beans, drained.
    1 onion diced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 bay leaf
    4 potatoes, cut up soup size
    2 carrots diced
    1/2 stick butter
    1 cup spaghetti or rice

Pour drained kidney beans and pour in a large pot, fill with water onmedium heat until it boils. Let boil for a while. Not too high of a boil. Then add the 4 potatoes, 2 carrots diced, 1 large onion diced and 2 stalks of celery diced and bay leaf. Add 1/2 stick of butter. Let this cook for probably at least 2 hours, slightly covered. Check the consistency of the broth. It should be a little thick and tasty. When it's about 20 minutes till ready then put in 1 cup of spaghetti noodles. Season with salt and pepper.

Lentil Soups. These are a few good ones.
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/lebanese-style-red-lentil-soup/Detail.aspx I am making this one this week!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/lentil-soup-recipe/index.html

This is a really good, hearty pasta sauce and it is healthy because its all vegetables! You can tweak it and add the veggies you like. I add onions, green peppers, and tomatoes to mine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/rigatoni-with-eggplant-puree-recipe/index.html