Does this really work?

Options
I'm very sciptical about diets and I was just wondering if I could get some options in this program. Thanks so much.

Replies

• felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This site is very helpful. It helps keep you accountable and there are so many great people here for motivation, recipe sharing, ideas, etc. I love MFP!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    It's just math. Math always works.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes it does really work, as long as you are dedicated to making it work. I've lost 17 lbs. It was a lot of hard work and a lot of self control.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are asking if MFP works, my answer is that you cannot just calorie count and expect everything to go perfectly - you have to put more thought into it - it's not just about how much you eat, but about what you are eating. But, MFP is an amazing tool for accompanying my food & exercise plan. There is a lot of support to be found in the MFP community and, if you have the MFP app on your phone, like me, it is super convenient.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It does work, but its not a diet, this site teaches you be aware of what you are eating so you can make positive changes in your life to make better choices. It also gives you great tools for workouts and excellent support.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple really-- magic chants; no unsubstantiated claims; no magic pills, no celebrity endorsements.

It's the only tried and true formula of weight loss: eat less, exercise more. . . the goal being to burn more calories than you consume. The End.

Then if you write down everything you eat, it can help you see wehre your biggest "calorie hogs" are; which can help you make better choices in the future.
  • jlotz19
    Options
    This really isn't a diet it's a life style change.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    And, I've lost over 20 pounds since mid July - so, yes, it works.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This site is not a diet, it is a place which allows you to keep track of your calories and exercise. What you do with the information is how it works. That is all up to you. Good Luck.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love it!!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I would never call this a diet. It's all about lifestyle changes. It works as long as you are honest with yourself about what you are putting into your body and the activity level you are accomplishing. You get out of it what you put into it. Good luck on reaching your goals, whatever they may be!
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It works if you work it. Keep the diary...
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I believe that because this is not a diet. It is an aid in a lifestyle change. No gimmicks, just calorie counting and exercise. And the support of others if you need.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Does eating less help you lose weight? Yes. Does tracking your food on a site like MFP help keep you accountable for eating less? Yes. Will it work if you just log your food and dont' make any changes to your eating habits? No.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet. The site tells you how many calories to eat in order to obtain the weight loss you selected. Do that, and you will lose. Burn more calories than you eat, that's the whole premise. You will lose if you do that whether or not you use this site. Nothing magical about it.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does... IF you are willing to put the effort into it. In my experience, if you log your food, stay within your calorie goals and workout, you will lose weight. I haven't even sworn off anything... I still eat fast food, I still have a few days where I eat something I know I shouldn't, I still eat chocolate.... you just have to know how much is too much and when to stop. I have been on COUNTLESS diets in the last 5 years and this is the first time I have ever lost more than 5 pounds and stuck with it. Also my circle of friends here is amazing and I feel like I can be so open and honest with everyone and not feel like I'm getting judged. Everyone will keep you accountable which I love. Give it a try... what do you have to lose -- other than weight? :smile:
  • palmer59
    Options
    I've used MFP off and on for about a year. Every "off" period usually results in weight gain. I've found that by logging in what I eat, I hold myself accountable. I'm not on a "diet"...I'm on a path of realizing that I really don't need to eat that big bowl of icecream right before bed. But...if I do eat it, and I'm still within my "calorie and fitness" goal for the day...it's ok! I always drop pounds when I log my food each day...no matter whether it's fast food or healthier salads. I have the flexibility to eat what, when and how much I want and can see the results each day.

You don't have to "report" to anyone but yourself...but there's a group of MFP friends always available to motivate you!!!

Good luck!
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just want to echo what my fellow MFPers have said. It works if you put the effort in. Recording everything you eat and exercising if you want to eat above your normal calories, is beautifully simple.

Worked for me, I've lost 14lb since August and never felt hungry or deprived. I don't think people on SlimFast could say the same.

Oh and it's free.

Good luck
    P
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I'm very sciptical about diets and I was just wondering if I could get some options in this program. Thanks so much.
    It's not a diet. It's learning to control what you consume vs. what you burn. A "diet" is anything a person eats to survive. Some have a healthy diet, some have a junk food diet, some have mixed diet, some have the low calorie diet. Dependent on how you burn off those calories will either dictate weight gain, weight maintenance, or weight loss.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    It is very simple and just takes dedication. This is the most weight I've lost in 10+ yers of struggling. It just takes your effort and ANYONE can succed. I am the perfect example of a "lazy" dieter and I have lost 47lbs using this site/app.