Public Food Journal?

Options
Today I decided to make my food journal open for friends to view in hopes that it will make me more accountable about my food choices. Has anyone done this and noticed a difference? Also I have a couple friends that fill out the entire day's journal in the morning, planning the meals for the entire day saying it helps them stay on track.. Anyone else do this and has it helped? Im always looking for new ideas on this journey:smile:

Replies

• Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I try to plan as much as possible and I would say I think it has helped me stay on track! Good luck!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I geuss if you think it will help then do it. However, I don't need the accountabilty, I know when I'm on track and not so I just self correct. Some people need a fear of being ashamed or that others will know to motivate them.

Whatever works for you.
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    On the days that I plan out my meals and enter them either that morning or for the week I have found I have more success staying with in range and losing weight. Even if dinner plans change last min I have done better then on the days that i log as i eat. I have unlocked mine to friends but only recently and not sure how I feel about that part.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I plan most of my days in advance. It helps me tweak things to stay within my macros. I don't count calories, just macros. But I have no need for input on my food choices, so my diary is private. Good luck!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I plan my whole week out sunday night xD
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Mine was originally private and then i opened it to friends. I definitely think it helped - I felt if i was not open and honest about my eating i was only hurting myself. This is part of the key to holding yourself accountable and getting to your goal - at least is has been for me!
    Good luck to you!
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I geuss if you think it will help then do it. However, I don't need the accountabilty, I know when I'm on track and not so I just self correct. Some people need a fear of being ashamed or that others will know to motivate them.

Whatever works for you.

That's me!!!!! fear of being ashamed is what keeps me on track...... I make too many excuses
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I find that having my journal open to my friends is helpful if they aren't too harsh, because after all we are only human and make mistakes and we make progress slowly not all at once. But I no longer have mine open because a majority of my friends have theirs closed to their friends/public. So, I feel embarrassed/self-consious to have mine open.

I have also tried planning in the morning but it felt too stick to me and I would often end up binging.. But thats just my experience, I know people this works for.

=)
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My food journal is open to my friends. The way I look at it, I have nothing to hide! I'm working hard, and trying to make wise choices. Do I mess up sometimes? Yes. But, we're all human. As long as you really are trying to eat the right things, then you have nothing to be ashamed of!

I don't pre-log my meals, but I do plan the night before. Things always come up while I'm at work so I'd hate to have to go back, delete what I originally posted, and re-post. However, in the beginning I was VERY strict with my meals. I wouldn't pre-log but I wouldn't deviate from my planned meals. I'm nowhere near my goal, but feel like I can trust myself to make good decisions if I go out to eat.

Good luck!!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Some people need a fear of being ashamed or that others will know to motivate them.

It sounds weird, but this definitely works for me. I'm one that doesn't restrict, but I feel awkward putting in those slices of pizza or those brownies I ate in my journal because my friends can see it. I do it anyway, but it helps keep me more on track knowing that people see what I'm eating.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I dont have anyone viewing my journal... I dont even remember if its open for others to view.

However, I do lots of planning and I try to write things I know Im going to be eating in that day. Than I know what kind of wiggle room I have for snacks and such.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I keep mine public because I simply have no reason to hide it, but it doesn't change what I will or will not eat.

I am one of those people who plan my whole day in the morning or even the day before, so I can be sure to stay on track and within my calories as well as carbs, fat, protein ETC. I sometimes even plan my whole week in advance. You should def try it because then you can make the necessary changes. I try to keep in mind how many calories I expect to burn (although I round a tad bit low in my mind) so that I can have those extra calories included into my meal plan.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I plan my whole week out sunday night xD

X2
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I don't usually plan ahead unless I'm going to eat at a restaurant (I look at menus online and add items) or I'm debating skipping the gym that day. :) Since the mobile app syncs with the web app so easy-- I don't have any problem adding my food as I go along during the day just using phone.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I find asking for pulic help reivewing food journal when i'm stuck (not losing weight) or are concerned with what i'm eating. It's nice sometimes to hear other's suggestions, then you need to review them and decide what works best for YOU.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The cool part comes in when you have a question or a problem and there's people here that can look at your diary and help. :smile:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I know enough about food now to not need others to say "zomg you must eat veg! You must eat less snacks!" etc.

I know what i'm eating, i know why I'm eating it too. I know it isn't "healthy", but it's sure as hell "healthier", and the calorie deficit and protein is always there. That's all it takes tbh.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I just made mine public this morning and while it freaks me out a little since I typically keep my weight loss on the "down low", lol, I find that holding myself accountable only to me has been working great so far, so it can only increase that accountability if I'm accountable to everyone too. Here goes!! :smile:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary closed. I don't want other people to feel the need to lecture me on what I eat. I am only accountable to myself and if I cheat myself, then I am not hurting anyone but me.

Edited because I used the word myself in a sentence 3 times. A bit over the top!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I initially had mine closed because I worried that if I had it open I would be tempted to fudge on it. I did open it to friends for a while but sure enough, I found myself not wanting to write things down. Mind you it did nothing towards keeping me from eating said things. I have days that I take a break from logging. Sometimes I eat crap on purpose. And I didn't feel I needed to explain that stuff every time and yet it was open, blah blah blah. I said screw it and closed it back. When no one else can see it I am 100% honest with it. And it should be my tool, not anyone else's.

That all being said, that is how I am, different people have completely different motivations and needs for accountability. Do whatever works for you.