Feeling Frustrated and Angry at Myselft!

Options
I think I have a serious issue and I don't know what to do. I eat a very healthy, low calorie meal every day. Why can I not eat it 3 times a day? Why do the resturants call my name when I am out? I even brought my lunch today, and I still ate out instead. I really do not know how to stop. I am not joking at all. I am so frustrated at myselft. So angry that I gave into the temptation of fast food . . .again and again.

The stupid part of all this is that I lost 15lbs. It WAS gone, poof!!! But now, I can feel it creaping back to me. I guess I should say too, that I typically do this a few days before, the week of, and a day or two after my period. I have NO controll. I want to eat everything and I do. I have been walking every day, 2 miles. but when I am done, I hit the fridge. End of this week, I will be back to eating good, healthy meals. But how do I controll this issue. Is this something I should talk to a doctor about? It depresses me.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    I think I have a serious issue and I don't know what to do. I eat a very healthy, low calorie meal every day. Why can I not eat it 3 times a day? Why do the resturants call my name when I am out? I even brought my lunch today, and I still ate out instead. I really do not know how to stop. I am not joking at all. I am so frustrated at myselft. So angry that I gave into the temptation of fast food . . .again and again.

The stupid part of all this is that I lost 15lbs. It WAS gone, poof!!! But now, I can feel it creaping back to me. I guess I should say too, that I typically do this a few days before, the week of, and a day or two after my period. I have NO controll. I want to eat everything and I do. I have been walking every day, 2 miles. but when I am done, I hit the fridge. End of this week, I will be back to eating good, healthy meals. But how do I controll this issue. Is this something I should talk to a doctor about? It depresses me.
    Find a way to have fast food in your diet once a week, but make sure you account for those calories. Deprivation of cravings is why the majority of people who diet end up failing. If you can find a balance where you can eat what you want, but make sure you don't exceed you calories per day, you can lose weight.
    Also, you HAVE to exercise. Dieting alone isn't the best way to lose weight. The more you exercise, the more you can consume or at least balance out.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Water - always. When you are out, make sure you have water with you. Feel your hunger - or lack of. Listen to your stomach, not your tongue. It sounds so easy, but I know it isn't. Good Luck.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    But how do I controll this issue. Is this something I should talk to a doctor about? It depresses me.
    It never hurts to talk to a professional.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I agree..need exercise.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    I agree with Ninerbuff, if you love fast food you have to find a way to fit it in. When I tell myself no to something, I do nothing but dream about it and eventually lose all willpower. I now go out every Friday for lunch with my coworkers. It is the only day I go out and I use the week to decide what I am craving the most. It's so satisfying on Friday then because I waited for it and I took my time understanding what I was craving.

As for the other days.... there is a picture of myself in a bikini on my phone. I look at that when I think about cheating and then I am so horrified, I find the power to stay in. It is a little dangerous though because when ever anybody tries to use my phone I frig out on them.:blushing:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Find a way to have fast food in your diet once a week, but make sure you account for those calories. Deprivation of cravings is why the majority of people who diet end up failing. If you can find a balance where you can eat what you want, but make sure you don't exceed you calories per day, you can lose weight.
    Also, you HAVE to exercise. Dieting alone isn't the best way to lose weight. The more you exercise, the more you can consume or at least balance out.

/\ Absolutely this. Get the book "Eat This, Not That." It will help you navigate through the menus to find safe things to eat. If you want to eat out, then choose something healthy. I eat out OFTEN, and have been the whole time I've been losing weight. It is just a matter of knowing what to eat. It has nothing to do with deprivation whatsoever.
  • roundrunner
    roundrunner Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimosgal, wish I had some great advice but I don't. Actually, I'm in the same boat as you and I just want to let you know that you are not alone! Fast food is so addicting! Sometimes it feels like nothing else will satisfy me. But let's hang in there & keep trying, every day!
  • deshaneman
    Options
    Same here, I just try to not feel guilty when I give in, Also it has helped me to keep track of the food I eat and make sure when I go off track that I get back on ASAP. It helped when I actually admitted I was addicted to food. Which sounds stupid, but I think when something serves a function in your life other than its healthy intended purpose then you have a sick relationship with that thing. For me it is food, for others drugs and others sex.

I am a guy, but I took a class one time and there is an actual need to eat more during your period, but the need is not for sweets, if I remmeber correctly it was for iron rich foods and water. The problem may be that your diet is so off balance you think everytime your hungry it means a huge meal. Maybe try an apple or orange instead of a huge meal. also make sure you are eating enough good food during the day and not starving yourself.
  • ADM1979
    ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I crave hamburgers. That is the one thing that I want most right now. But, if I am not on my cycle, I have no craving whatsoever to eat out. I don't want it, at all. Only now and big hamburgers.

When I eat just one, i feel fine, but I need it every day. I sometimes wonder if this is just something I have told myself and now I have to have it. Maybe if I tell myself I need celery I will eat that all day.
  • ColettaMooney
    Options
    Often times, dehydration feels like hunger so drink lots of water before you eat EVERY meal :-) so you dont feel guilty afterward:happy:
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I crave hamburgers. That is the one thing that I want most right now. But, if I am not on my cycle, I have no craving whatsoever to eat out. I don't want it, at all. Only now and big hamburgers.

When I eat just one, i feel fine, but I need it every day. I sometimes wonder if this is just something I have told myself and now I have to have it. Maybe if I tell myself I need celery I will eat that all day.

If it's just something that happens during you rmonthly cycle, at least it's not affecting your whole month. If you know it's going to happen, make room in your calories for hamburgers those day, get through that tough week and then move on. Part of it is knowing your body and working with it to make then most of the situation you're in and the other part of it is not being so discouraged when you do have a hamburger that you let it get you down and unmotivated to make the better choices. Having said all that, sometimes the first time you say no is the hardest and it gets easier to say no after that. If you say yes the next time it's easier to give in again. Maybe you will eventually be able to work toward only one hamburger during that week--like something to look forward to at the very end?
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers themselves are not unhealthy. It's all the stuff that's added to them that makes them bad (Mayo, Cheese, Bacon, etc) plus then we usually add on some carb and calorie crazy fries and of course a big sugary soft drink to top it all off.

What I do to deal with by burger cravings is I started going to Culvers and getting their original burger, completely plain. Put some ketchup on it myself (so I can control the portion) and then have a salad with it (I'm not a huge french fry eater anyway). If you take a look, their regular butter burger really isn't very bad if you do it this way. Now add the cheese and bacon and other stuff and it gets nasty quick. But what I found is that I actually enjoy the burger just as much without all that extra crap on it.

Ultimately I agree with the others here, you can't try to shut out your cravings, you just need to find a way to work it into your overall diet and exercise program. Maybe workout a little more on those days when you eat heavier. Account for your higher calorie lunch with a low cal breakfast and dinner. Trying to shut out cravings only makes them come back stronger in my experience.
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    IF I crave a hamburger than I have a hamburger but I either eat it open face (one part of the bun) or without the bread all together. Limit the condiments to mainly veggies.....(lettuce, tomatoe, onion, pickles etc.) Who really needs the ketchup, mayo and mustard if you have all those veggies, you really don't taste it!
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options

If this happens especially when you are on your period, is it possible your iron levels may be low? The best sources are mostly meat (mostly red), but try and eat some low cal iron rich foods like spinach (I've read your body absorbs nutrients better from food than pills) and see if that helps. Or make yourself a burger at home. You control what goes into it, so you can make it as good as you want.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

/\ Absolutely this. Get the book "Eat This, Not That." It will help you navigate through the menus to find safe things to eat. If you want to eat out, then choose something healthy. I eat out OFTEN, and have been the whole time I've been losing weight. It is just a matter of knowing what to eat. It has nothing to do with deprivation whatsoever.

^^^^ Agree!! One way to eat out and do well with it is planning ahead and looking up the nutrition online beforehand. And remember: baby steps. Even small changes make a diffference. For example, my love is coffee. I LOVE to indulge in a DD coffee every once in a while or McDonald's french fries. So look up the calories and plan out your day accordingly. Sometimes the amount of calories alone will make you decide to eat something else. Sometimes you will feel like it was worth it. Either way, you DO have control over what foods you are chosing to eat. Be an informed consumer. And good luck!!