Easy, low calorie, high protein snacks

Options
Meghan0116
Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
Good afternoon all,

I switch my food stats which has increased protein and lessened carbs. What do ya'll eat for high protein, low calorie snacks???

Replies

• andreacord
    Options
    tuna with some whipped dressing or mayo.. cheese strings.. protein shakes..
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese! Greek yogurt! Protein shakes (my fav or chocolate-peanut butter! Tastes like a reese cup!)
    When Im really needing something sweet! I make Meringue cookies (egg whites and sugar) Eggs whites hold the protein of the egg, but little to no fat, and you can cut the sugar down)
  • CassarahW
    CassarahW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hmm.. I don't count calories, but high protein things like raw nuts, veggies with hummus spread, natural peanut butter, bake chickpeas add some seasoning and they are nice and crunchy and yummie.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    low-fat string cheese, greek yogurt, hummus
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs, almonds and other tree nuts, greek yogurt, cheddar cheese (indv. wrapped portions). These are my go toos.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I grill a bunch of chicken breasts in a variety of marinades at the beginning of the week, dice them up, and put them in ziploc bags and label them with a sharpie. I guess it's not as simple as most snacks, but the protein benefit is great.
  • cassyparker
    Options
    liberte greek yogurt cups 100g and 8g of protein 80 calories if you buy the vanilla or blueberry, 90 for the strawberry
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    almonds
    blue diamond nut thins
    laughing cow cheese wedges
    guacamole ( i don't know about the protein, but it is SOOOO yummy)
    low sodium beef jerky (best to get it from a meat market, they don't use nitrates either)

oh, I forgot SHRIMP. good protein, low cals, and ohhhh so yummy
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the ideas here....

BUT if you're also watching sodium, be careful with cottage cheese, string cheese, laughing cow etc -- they are loaded with salt.

If you're buying greek yogurt, make sure it's the good kind --- not the pre-sweetened stuff that has more sugar than protein.
    A good one will have about 100 calories in a cup, under 5g carb/sugar and over 15g protein -- some good brands are Fage 0% total, chobani 0% --- skip all the ones with honey and fruit -- you're looking for PROTEIN, not carbs --- doctor it up to taste good to you using whatever sweetener you like. Adding pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, agave and walnuts is my favorite in the fall.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hummus, boiled eggs, yogurt.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, chicken breast.....my favs!
  • andreacord
    Options
    If you shop at a supermarket in Canada that sells President's Choice brand, check out their greek yogurt. 80 calories, 3 carbs and 14 g of protein per 3/4 of a cup. Not a huge fan of it plain but I will eat it anyway because the protein is through the roof.
    I agree with all the ideas here....

BUT if you're also watching sodium, be careful with cottage cheese, string cheese, laughing cow etc -- they are loaded with salt.

If you're buying greek yogurt, make sure it's the good kind --- not the pre-sweetened stuff that has more sugar than protein.
    A good one will have about 100 calories in a cup, under 5g carb/sugar and over 15g protein -- some good brands are Fage 0% total, chobani 0% --- skip all the ones with honey and fruit -- you're looking for PROTEIN, not carbs --- doctor it up to taste good to you using whatever sweetener you like. Adding pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, agave and walnuts is my favorite in the fall.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are great suggestions.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you shop at a supermarket in Canada that sells President's Choice brand, check out their greek yogurt. 80 calories, 3 carbs and 14 g of protein per 3/4 of a cup. Not a huge fan of it plain but I will eat it anyway because the protein is through the roof.

Agreed! SO good! They have a honey flavored one, or I add some honey if I need something sweet!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    hmm.. I don't count calories, but high protein things like raw nuts, veggies with hummus spread, natural peanut butter, bake chickpeas add some seasoning and they are nice and crunchy and yummie.

Okay, isn't that what MFP is for??
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    String cheese, an apple, celery or banana with natural peanut butter, low fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, tuna.