Cheap 5k or 10k

Options
im from Sacramento area, and I want to do a run, but I am currently only going to school, not working. I do get some money, but it's child support, and I won't spe d it on a run :( is there like a website I can look up cheap ($10 maybe lol) runs??

Replies

• timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i would research a running club and run that way. The leader should have the routes with distances mapped out. Don't worry about races if you just want to run!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Google for local running groups. Or check facebook. There's a guy who runs a website for races around here that has all the local runs listed, and some out of area races, and he maintains a FB group for them, too.

Here's one: http://zinsli.com/events/sacevents.asp
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    That's a great idea!! Only problem is daycare, I cod probably oly commit once a week.
  • evil_rider
    Options
    im from Sacramento area, and I want to do a run, but I am currently only going to school, not working. I do get some money, but it's child support, and I won't spe d it on a run :( is there like a website I can look up cheap ($10 maybe lol) runs??

Why not just do it on your own? Sure it's great to be part of an event, I totally get that but if money is such a huge factor, I'd go solo.

The other option would be to run it bandit....................... not a good option.
  • rairye
    rairye Posts: 27
    Options
    Try a "Making Strides" event..with American Cancer Society. It is free and for a good cause :)
  • annie9696
    Options
    Try the Buffalo Chips running club. http://www.buffalochips.net/ Sacramento's oldest running club.
    Try Fleet Feet. http://www.fleetfeetsacramento.com/ Fleet Feet meets a couple times a week at McKinley Park and its a run on your own (or with buddies) around a little over 1 mile park (so you can run around the park as many times as you want). I kind of think of it as Sacramento's Central Park but 1/1000 the size :) They setup a kiosk and provide water, sports drink, and a sign in sheet to help you track your distance each day and shows you your cumulative miles. the employees are great and informative too. You can also enter to win free stuff from their store! This park has a great workout atomsphere. Certain days of the week there are runs that start from their store a mile or so down the street, including beginners and women only runs. I'm not sure of the distance they do, but I think they are at least a few miles and longer.
  • annie9696
    Options
    My bad...thought you were currently in the Sacramento area so I provided a couple of places in Sac. I see on your profile you are in San Antonio. Nevermind :)
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Would you consider volunteering at a run instead of running? That way you get all the excitement - no cost, and you can go and run your own little self race another time.

Our running store (running room) has 2 free group runs a week.

Good luck!
  • ginny1214
    Options
    No I am in Sacramento!! I need to change that! I moved here a few months ago ha ha
  • janetmp10
    Options
    It's my understanding that you can run in any race...but if you don't pay you don't get a number....therefore if you place you don't medal or get recognition! If you find a race you want to do...call the chairperson or the info number and ask if thats possible! Several cross country teams do that at major races in Texas!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i second running clubs! they are fab for a planned route every week plus its very motivational and you will run harder.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that you can run in any race...but if you don't pay you don't get a number....therefore if you place you don't medal or get recognition! If you find a race you want to do...call the chairperson or the info number and ask if thats possible! Several cross country teams do that at major races in Texas!

Generally it is considered uncool to bandit a race (run when not registered). Unless the race director give you permission to do, please don't do this. It couldn't hurt to ask if they are offering any discounts.

You don't need a race, you can run for free any time you want.
  • ginny1214
    Options

Generally it is considered uncool to bandit a race (run when not registered). Unless the race director give you permission to do, please don't do this. It couldn't hurt to ask if they are offering any discounts.

You don't need a race, you can run for free any time you want.

Yea I wouldn't run unless I was given permission. I am going to call a few and ask though! Never hurts :) I just want to be a part of something. I've gotten to the point that running on my own and the gym are boring me.