How to measure salad greens?

Options
Good afternoon. I am trying hard to get in to the habit of actually measuring my food to make sure I do not underestimate what I am eating. My biggest issue is with salad greens. Portions are often measured in cups, but I am not sure if I am supposed to pack the greens in, or keep them loose. There is a big difference in amount between the two measurements.

Replies

• akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I use a food scale. I find it is the most accurate way to track my food intake.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it...it's salad greens! Seriously, you could eat a pound and you're not going to gain weight from it..this is the ONLY food item I don't weigh.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Salad greens have so few calories that you really don't need to worry about measuring them. But if you absolutely insist, you can weigh them. Most nutritional information tables list both cup measurement and weight.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    when i used to measure mine, i'd pack it in the measuring cup. now i use the food scale to weigh it. it's easier that way. :smile:
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it...it's salad greens! Seriously, you could eat a pound and you're not going to gain weight from it..this is the ONLY food item I don't weigh.

This.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I don't really weigh my greens. I know how you feel about habits, but salad green are not enough to obsess about. Weigh the foods that will add calories to your total.
  • PompousClock
    Options
    I assume it means slightly loosely packed cups, since that is how the mixed greens lettuce leaves are in their natural state. I eyeball the measurement, looking at how large the pile is. But even if you DOUBLE a 2-cup serving to 4 cups, that's only 20 extra calories.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale. I find it is the most accurate way to track my food intake.

I stopped using a measuring cup last year. Weighing foods is much more accurate.