Looking for a healthy pasta sauce, low sodium and tasty pref

Options
As the title states I am looking for a pasta sause to pair with my ground turkey. The pasta sauce I have at home is full of sodium..

This pasta sauce does not have to be tomatoe based.

If low sodium hopefully it's tasty :)

and It would be great if I could find it at a regular store (s-cali) vs health food but if it is from Health food store I have earth grown, boneys, henrys & trader joes :)

Thanks yall :)

Replies

• KenMadere
    KenMadere Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is one that I use: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bolognese-sauce/detail.aspx . I imagine it can be adapted for ground turkey. I add zucchini, shredded carrots and fresh mushrooms to this recipe.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    we make our own, do a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, 1 cup of water and then just do seasoning such as garlic, basil herbs etc to taste.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just made a pot of my own.

olive oil
    chopped onion
    fennel seed

carmelize on low

add in crushed tomatoes and a bit of water

and simmer all afternoon

pop in some fresh basil

and YUM!

no added sugar...no salt. the secret is letting the onions cook and sweeten on their own.

Freezes very well!
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Make you own! It's super easy, without all the salt. My basic recipe is similar to the PP. I saute my veggies (depending what I am in the mood for) onions, carrots, squash, garlic, etc. Then add a can or two of Crushed tomatoes, some basil, parsley, and oregeno and simmer. Somtimes I will add a little bit of sugar (about a tablespoon) to sweeten it up depending on what I am pairing with it. I will also cook my meatballs or whatever other meat right in the sauce, although when I do this I simmer it all day like a Ragu.
  • cassyparker
    Options
    I make my own.

Ingredients:
    Fresh basil to taste
    1/2 knorr reduced sodium bouillon cube
    2 cups water
    100g of chicken or turkey
    1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
    1/4 medium onion
    1 garlic clove
    1 stick chopped celery
    1 small carrot chopped
    2 laughing cow light cheese triangles

I cook all of the ingredients except the cheese in one pan until meat and vegetables are cooked then I reduce the liquid. When Liquid is reduced I break up the cheese and added to remaining ingredients and stir until melted. Makes a very creamy pasta dish. If you like it a bit spicier I sometimes add a jalapeno as well :)

I find that if I boil one serving of catelli whole wheat rotini and I mix everything together I get two servings of about 250 calories each :)
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I also make my own - I roast tomatoes, onions and garlic in a little fry spray until the tomatoes are bursting. Add to a pot with a splash of stock (depends on how juicy the tomatoes are - just don't add too much!) and plenty of fresh basil and simmer until it's the consistency that you want. you can puree it or not.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow all those sound liek wonderful recipes.. I will def want to try one some day... :flowerforyou:

After work tonight though I would like to just run out and grab a jar of something :blushing: so if anyone can think of one that would be great!! Thanks for teh recipes though, I appreciate :)
  • ltnangel_92
    Options
    try Mur Glen Organic. Its good, low calories, and i think its healthy. it will be in the organic section of the supermarket- not where all the other pasta sauces are.

http://www.muirglen.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat=1&upc=7-25342-28696-6
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save some of these ideas. :smile:
  • KenMadere
    KenMadere Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for a ready-made pasta sauce. You might check out the Safeway Select brand pasta sauce.