yoga stretchy help please

Options
I am not good about taking those stretching classes or yoga at all, and I'm a complete beginner, but I've been working out pretty hard and my body could really benefit from a yoga class or something. I am looking for ideas if anyone has any for a yoga dvd or similar that will help me stretch out really well, and is also for beginners like me who are completely unflexible. Now my biggest focus is more upper body stretching (although of course I will do lower as well) but my upper body is what is bothering me the most, like my back. I have a stretch 40 class that's part of turbo fire but I don't feel as though it targets my back at all. So if you know of any that will help me please share, and thanks in advance.

Happy Monday.

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    do you have the p90x yoga vid? It's pretty good ( a little long for my liking) but you can modify.

I know there are TONS of beginners yoga (and some more for actual stretching) at best buys/amazon etc.

i used to go to Bikram yoga (the hot one) and loved it. I was actually thinking of signing up again...it's awesome. and trust me,,, I am no YOGI! :-)
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Try "yoga for wimps". Its an older DVD, but I was able to rent it through Netflix. They have a person that uses modified versions of poses, that I think most people with flexibility challenges can do. Yoga is fantastic, and you won't regret doing it!
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    If you subscribe to Hulu Plus or Netflix, there are plenty of yoga course at various lengths.

I've been doing yoga/pilates for about 5 years now, and one of my college instructors has her own DVD program now, Get Fit With Lynn. The DVDs are a blend, so lots of yoga/stretching, but also light strength training, which makes it really great for exercising on days when you aren't quite up to an intense cardio or strength workout. I'm about halfway through that program at the intermediate level, but she has things for complete non-yoga experienced beginners.

http://www.getfitwithlynn.com/
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I like the P90X X-Stretch DVD. It's mostly just basic stretching with some yoga moves incorporated in!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I would recommend joining a class - you can usually do a 'drop-in' for about $11, you will feel amazing afterwards! Even just one class can help you understand some basic poses. The sun salutation is a good sequence, if you google it you will find many demos.

For my back I like to do the cat/camel & cobra stretch - there are demonstrations on you-tube. Most people's chests are tight from hunching over computers all day - I like to find a doorway, hold each side in one hand and lean forward until I feel the stretch.

Good luck!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I like the P90X X-Stretch DVD. It's mostly just basic stretching with some yoga moves incorporated in!

great idea!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Sun Salutations by Shiva Rea. It has a bunch of different sections that you can choose and it's perfect for beginners. It can be as easy or as hard as you want. I was using it daily when I had lower back pain. I need to start doing it again after workouts.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like Rodney Yee's Power Yoga DVDs - one of which has 3 25-minute workouts: Power Yoga for Flexibility, Power Yoga for Stamina, and Power Yoga for Strength.