Should I Run my First 5k in a Few Weeks?

Options
scapez
scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
History: I've been a committed exerciser since April of this year, I've done a lot of Zumba, Walking, some biking, and various strength exercises. I've started C25K and the next time I do it I'll be on Week 6 Day 1. I know that I can run (jog - haha) 2 miles straight. I've lost nearly 20 lbs. to date and am pushing 130 lbs.

Aside from C25K, I have no history of running.

There is a 5k on October 29 that I would like to try. My goal is to run the whole thing, not run/walk. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Comments? Advice? Suggestions?

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot. What have you got to lose? Worst case scenario, you go out too fast and finish walking rather than jogging.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i say go for it. For me, running is mostly mental anyway. And since you know you can run 2 miles straight, a 5k isn't that far off. If you were asking if you should run a half-marathon or something, then I'd be saying different, but I think you're close enough to be able to push through and finish.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I want to run a 5K on Thanksgiving day. I do a lot of cardio with a little bit of running mixed in, and I can get up to a 10 minute mile pretty easily. I haven't done any distance running though so I'm a-scared :-( I need someone to talk me into it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this! You'll have finished C25K by then, and so long as you've been doing it outside you should find the race a breeze. Take it steadily, especially on any hills, and keep your breathing steady. If you feel like you're getting too out of breath, slow down.

Here are my beginner's running tips, some might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    yeah do it for sure! i think people tend to see 5k's as scarier than they are, they're a really casual race and there's tons of people that don't run the whole way so if you need to take a break it's no big deal
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    You should give it a try, mentally it will be a huge boost when you complete the whole thing. Physically it will let you see where you can improve your run times.
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    Do it!!!

I just did my first 5K on Saturday (Race for the Cure) and it was freaking amazing! I jogged most of it, walked slightly, but did it with two other people. Held me up some. But it got me started, and I am addicted! I must say being surrounded by all the fellow runners was so motivational. And afterwards watching people finish, and the survivors come through holding their arms up and getting their roses was so emotional. I cried like a baby. I already registered for my next 5K November 12, and my goal is to do one a month, then a 10K Feb & Mar, then a half marathon in April!

My "exercise" has been much like yours. Started in March with zumba, and Jillian Michaels, took a shot at Insanity, and have been doing C25K off and on. Don't google finishing times for 5Ks though. It's kinda disheartening. People are all different and if you finish, who cares what your time is... But if you're really competitive, then you'll at least have a goal to keep on going.

Good luck!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Go for it! 5K is nothing, It's barely 3 miles. Even walking it shouldn't take more than about a hour. Runs like this are fun, lots of freebies when you finish, energetic atmosphere!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    NOPE... just do it!!! After all your not in a competition with anyone but yourself. I just ran my 1st 5k Oct 8th and I didn't do the C25K program, I trained mostly in the gym and some on the road...I definitely don't regret it, but I would have if I hadn't done it!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Same scenario here and I'm going to try a 5K on Nov. 6th. Keep me posted!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it! We all need to challenge ourselves. Whatever results you end up with will be wonderful and you'll be proud that you attempted it! It will also give you a personal best to push beyond for the next race.

Shannon
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You should totally do it! Even if you don't make your goal, and end up walking part of it, you will get a huge ego boost from completing it. Then, you can start planning the next one. Eventually, you will run the whole thing.
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Got a quote from Joel Osteen...Dream It...Believe IT>>>>> Live it!!!! Is that enough said?....
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you're running 2mi right now you'll find a 5k easy. Forget Oct 29...you could run one today if you wanted to. Go for it...you'll enjoy it 8)
  • scapez
    Options
    I'm convinced. I'm doing it!!! Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! :flowerforyou:

If anyone has any tips on clothing, etc. I would definitely appreciate it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced. I'm doing it!!! Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! :flowerforyou:

If anyone has any tips on clothing, etc. I would definitely appreciate it.
    Most of my thoughts are on my blog I posted. Professionally fitted running shoes, wicking clothing, high-impact sports bra and a good pair of sports socks will see you right. This time of year it's tempting to wear layers, but you'll soon warm up. Don't wear anything on race day you haven't run in before!
  • scapez
    Options
    Most of my thoughts are on my blog I posted.

I will be reading it! Thank you for the tips - though in my case a high-impact sports bra won't be necessary - haha.
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    For clothes, just weather appropriate. 5Ks are generally in the am before it warms up. I would recommend either a pair of capri or full length active pants, a great fitting sports bra or 2, and a short sleeve, or long sleeve shirt. No jacket. You'll warm up really fast, and having a sleeve (short or long) you can wipe the sweat away from your forehead, or wear a bandana. Also a great fitting pair of shoes that are not brand new, ones you've been wearing. Generally 5K's supply the shirts when you register, or you can wear your own too.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    "Bitting off more than you can chew" , Not at all .. You can do it! You're a HIDDEN TREASURE! :wink:
  • theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Go for it girl!!