Why do you do it?

Options
Why do you continue to eat/drink something when it doesnt taste good or is not satisfying in any way?

I have a habit of doing this; especially mid afternoon.

Today I bought a "Seattle's Best Coffee Iced Vanilla Latte". I was hoping for a good tasting coffee jolt and what I got was an excruciatingly sweet slightly coffee flavored... thing.

Not good at all.

Did I stop drinking it and throw it in the garbage?

Nope. I continued to suffer through 1/2 the can till I called it quits.

Im trying to figure out why and I was wondering...

Why do you? Or do you?

Replies

• mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm painfully cheap. If I spent money on it, by god I'm going to suffer through it, and then I'm going to spend the rest of the day complaining about it... and likely complain about it every time I see it for several years to come... talking about you, peanut butter snickers. So dissapointing.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    <--- I dont eat anything I don't enjoy. I will try darn near anything though as I'm very adventurous with food.

You'll see people do this with dieting too. They'll think they must eat eggs, or tuna, or ____________ (<--- insert random food item here), so they do it even though they don't like it. I'll never understand this behavior.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm painfully cheap. If I spent money on it, by god I'm going to suffer through it, and then I'm going to spend the rest of the day complaining about it... and likely complain about it every time I see it for several years to come..
    lol this is me all the way!
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do this also and I also think it's leftover from being afraid of waste. I bought a brownie yesterday and after a few bites realized I was very full. I sat there and stared at the thing for awhile having a battle of the wills. I really, really felt the urge to finish it. I did have some more, but then saved the rest for later. for me, that was a huge victory.
  • sweetbeartx
    Options
    Most of us are determined that if we spent our money on it then we are going to finish it. Then again that is the point to how you can make yourself throw it away. Its your money. I am someone who doesn't have a problem throwing it away but then I want to have something to replace that loss and there is where my troubles lay.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I haven't done that in a while.
    I got a nonfat pumpkin spice latte the other day and had to stop after a few sips, not because it wasn't good, but because it didn't taste like I expected, plus the amount of sugar absolutely was not worth it. I didn't really care that I wasted a $5 drink because I was proud of myself for being able to recognize it wasn't worth drinking.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do this also and I also think it's leftover from being afraid of waste. I bought a brownie yesterday and after a few bites realized I was very full. I sat there and stared at the thing for awhile having a battle of the wills. I really, really felt the urge to finish it. I did have some more, but then saved the rest for later. for me, that was a huge victory.

Good Job!!!
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm painfully cheap. If I spent money on it, by god I'm going to suffer through it, and then I'm going to spend the rest of the day complaining about it... and likely complain about it every time I see it for several years to come..
    lol this is me all the way!

Hahahaha... Funny.
    At least Im not the only one...
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Why do you continue to eat/drink something when it doesnt taste good or is not satisfying in any way?

I have a habit of doing this; especially mid afternoon.

Today I bought a "Seattle's Best Coffee Iced Vanilla Latte". I was hoping for a good tasting coffee jolt and what I got was an excruciatingly sweet slightly coffee flavored... thing.

Not good at all.

Did I stop drinking it and throw it in the garbage?

Nope. I continued to suffer through 1/2 the can till I called it quits.

Im trying to figure out why and I was wondering...

Why do you? Or do you?

LOL..yes i do it if I paid for it. :) Feel like I'm wasting money. doesn't make sense but oh well.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You know, after I started counting calories... I don't.

Back in summer, I was craving a vanilla shake on the boardwalk, so I got myself a small cup. I enjoyed the first sip immensely. But when I was about halfway done, I realized my taste buds weren't tasting the shake at ALL anymore. All I could feel in my mouth was "cold" and "sticky." The vanilla and the sweetness must have overwhelmed my taste buds and rendered them numb or something. So I tossed it into the garbage without regret.

If I'm going to "spend" my calories, it had better be worth it, either by being delicious or by being nutritious (preferably both!). I'm paying my money to enjoy the food, not to suffer it!
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You know, after I started counting calories... I don't.

Back in summer, I was craving a vanilla shake on the boardwalk, so I got myself a small cup. I enjoyed the first sip immensely. But when I was about halfway done, I realized my taste buds weren't tasting the shake at ALL anymore. All I could feel in my mouth was "cold" and "sticky." The vanilla and the sweetness must have overwhelmed my taste buds and rendered them numb or something. So I tossed it into the garbage without regret.

If I'm going to "spend" my calories, it had better be worth it, either by being delicious or by being nutritious (preferably both!). I'm paying my money to enjoy the food, not to suffer it!

Agree 100%. Now that I am more aware of the calories/fat in certain foods, I just won't eat crap. Certain things I won't touch are: most candy & ANYTHING fried. I don't care if it may taste good for a minute, it's setting me back in my goal, and I want crap like that outta my lifestyle. I still totally love everything I eat, and I do splurge on things that I enjoy, but not things that are just useless, non-nutritious ick.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've stopped doing this. Particularly if it's something particularly calorific. If I don't like it, I won't eat it. This can be disappointing if you've bought yourself a 'treat', but what's the point of having something just because you think you should, rather than because it's good.

I don't eat anything if I'm not enjoying it.