Cheap Halloween costume ideas?

Options
Starlage
Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
I'm terrible at thinking up creative costume ideas and I hate paying crazy amounts for the pre-packaged costumes. Ideas? The best/easiest I've read so far is to go as a rock- grey pants and grey shirt, grey face paint and silver/grey hair spray "i'm a rock!"... lol... which would get funnier and funnier the drunker people get. Last year I saw a woman dressed as facebook- she cut a hole the size of her face in a open book and fashioned it so that she could wear it. clever! I Also saw a guy dressed as jack from jack in the box.

ok.... GO!!!

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Waldo [from the Where's Waldo franchise] is particularly easy and identifiable (or not identifiable if you are a good hider).

Wheres_Waldo_385.jpg

Cheers.
    -wtk
  • Starlage
    Options
    Man! Thought this would get more responses.... Waldo's a good idea- easy thrift store purchases. Except.... I'd be...Waldette? lol. Would be better for a man.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Waldo's girlfriend is Wenda. His former girlfriend was Wenda's sister, Wilma. Messed up story, right?

I'm trying to convince the folks around the office to go as their favorite Hannah Barbara cartoon character. I was thinking I'd go as Johnny Quest or Fred Jones if I have a Daphne Blake. We'll see...both of those guys are blonde and I have luxuriously full brown hair.
    -wtk
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Cave woman is an easy one. Go buy some leppard print fabric wrap it around yourself, stick a dog bone in your hair...
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i've been think of this. you know how you can buy the prop of a wich that crashes into the house or pole. while why can't the wich crash in to you. it would look hilarious because one leg on each side of you and it flat body right up against yours. then just get along brown balloon blown up to pin to the other side of you.
  • Jennypins
    Jennypins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Be a Christmas Present. Get a big box, cut a hole for your head and arms, leave the bottom totally open, wrap it in Christmas Paper. Put a bow on your head and wear some green stockings.

Modify for birthday present if you want. Maybe $5.00 in supplies? I won an award for best costume one year when I was a Christmas present. lol.

Plus, it's a VERY forgiving costume. Unlike the ones you can buy in a Halloween store now. Everyone needs to be a supermodel...
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I did this a few years ago and it was awesome. Wear all black, talk chalk and outline your body - go as a crime scene
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I found a blue dress @ the thrift store for $3 and accessories for $7...I will be the Devil With A Blue Dress On this year :bigsmile:
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the girl from Paranormal Activity, with just a white tank top, some boxers, a long dark brown wig, and some fake blood. Should be easy and cheap!
  • Starlage
    Options
    Waldo's girlfriend is Wenda. His former girlfriend was Wenda's sister, Wilma. Messed up story, right?

I'm trying to convince the folks around the office to go as their favorite Hannah Barbara cartoon character. I was thinking I'd go as Johnny Quest or Fred Jones if I have a Daphne Blake. We'll see...both of those guys are blonde and I have luxuriously full brown hair.
    -wtk

fascinating, didnt know there was such a complex history to waldo :o) I've also considered rainbow bright if I could find cheap rainbow tights or thigh high socks! That'd be an easy thrift store costume too.
  • Starlage
    Options
    I found a blue dress @ the thrift store for $3 and accessories for $7...I will be the Devil With A Blue Dress On this year :bigsmile:

NICE!! Like the idea :o)
  • Starlage
    Options

Plus, it's a VERY forgiving costume. Unlike the ones you can buy in a Halloween store now. Everyone needs to be a supermodel...

I know right!! Every freakin pre-packaged costume apart from being crazy expensive for such crappy quality is tight, short.....
  • Jennypins
    Jennypins Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I know right!! Every freakin pre-packaged costume apart from being crazy expensive for such crappy quality is tight, short.....

It makes me laugh, cause I look at the costumes and to me all I see a a themed *kitten* costume. Nuse *kitten*, shot girl *kitten*, prisoner *kitten*, police officer *kitten*, little red riding hood *kitten*... lol. it's out of control. And it starts that way in TEEN sizes! ARGGH!
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    My best friend has dressed up as Flo from the Progressive commercials & it wasn't too expensive. Just need a few little things :)
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i am going to be flo from progressive i have an apron white pants and i am going to wear my blue mocks instead of her sneakers, i do my makeup pinup style anyway so thats easy and i just need to get a blue headband
  • kpxfiles
    kpxfiles Posts: 56 Member
    Options

It makes me laugh, cause I look at the costumes and to me all I see a a themed *kitten* costume. Nuse *kitten*, shot girl *kitten*, prisoner *kitten*, police officer *kitten*, little red riding hood *kitten*... lol. it's out of control. And it starts that way in TEEN sizes! ARGGH!

I tried on a red riding hood costume and it didn't even cover my butt. I'm 5'4". I want the costume to at least cover my butt. :p

I got a costume at Buffalo Exchange, which is a cosignment shop. It's a candy striper, but I'm making it into a Hello Kitty dress. Just need to get some cat ears and wear my hello kitty backpack.

I like the Flo idea.

I knew a girl that dressed up as Joanna from Office Space. Just need a striped shirt, black pants, apron, suspender, and lots of pins/ buttons.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My best friend has dressed up as Flo from the Progressive commercials & it wasn't too expensive. Just need a few little things :)

me too
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Don't know where in the country you are or how warm Halloween will be but...

- Print pictures of Sigmund Freud off your computer and tape them to a full slip = Freudian Slip

- Buy an old white sheet, attach used packages from your trash = White Trash (my grandmother did this one in her retirement community and won a prize)

- Take 2 pairs of white tube socks and cut from the cuff to the ankle to make the tube part into little strips that will show from beneath a pair of old jeans. Take the other pair and cut off the toes. Cut from the toe-less part up to the cuff, leaving enough of a cuff to fit your wrists (you may need to roll the cuff to make it thick enough). Wear on your wrists under an old flannel shirt so the strips hang out. Find a floppy felt or straw hat = Scarecrow (in the Wizard of Oz style)
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A friend of my daughter's one year teased up her hair, then pinned various laundry items (misc. socks, unementionables, etc) to an outfit and went out as "Static Cling." Best costume ever, in my opinion...
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Take a cord and tie it to a rubber chicken. Then pin the cord and the chicken to a blue sweat suit and be Chicken-Cord-on-Blue.

Wha - Wha- Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa