Drinking: Beer, Liquor, nothing?

Options
I just graduated from college and started Grad school, i LOVE going out with my friends, usually dancing which burns some calories! I try not to drink a lot when I go out, and i usually drink miller light. I really want to lose weight and havn't had outstanding success and I think that is because I haven cut out drinking completely....any ideas? suggestions? success stories?

Replies

• Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself one light beer a night (or whenever you go out) and for the rest of the night have water or iced tea (No sugar!) and you'll do fine.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's totally doable. Granted, it can be harder to lose when you're drinking, but if you stick to lower-calorie options, and allow for the extra calories, it can happen. Watch the post-drinking food binges, get an extra workout in if you know you're going to drink, and vodka with a no/low calorie mixer is your friend. Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    How to lose fat or prevent fat gain when drinking

Now that you understand the effect of alcohol on substrate metabolism, it's time for me to reveal how you can make alcohol work for fat loss. Alternatively, how you can drink on a regular basis without any fat gain. Without having to count calories and while drinking as much as you want.

Apply this method exactly as I have laid it out. If you've paid attention, you'll understand the rationale behind it. I've tested this on myself and on numerous clients. Rest assured that I'm not testing out some large-scale bizarre experiment here.

The rules are as follows:

* For this day, restrict your intake of dietary fat to 0.3 g/kg body weight (or as close to this figure as possible).

* Limit carbs to 1.5 g/kg body weight. Get all carbs from veggies and the tag-along carbs in some protein sources. You'll also want to limit carbohydrate-rich alcohol sources such as drinks made with fruit juices and beer. A 33 cl/12 fl oz of beer contains about 12 g carbs, while a regular Cosmopolitan is about 13 g.

* Good choices of alcohol include dry wines which are very low carb, clocking in at about 0.5-1 g per glass (4 fl oz/115ml). Sweet wines are much higher at 4-6 g per glass. Cognac, gin, rum, scotch, tequila, vodka and whiskey are all basically zero carbs. Dry wines and spirits is what you should be drinking, ideally. Take them straight or mixed with diet soda. (No need to be super-neurotic about this stuff. Drinks should be enjoyed after all. Just be aware that there are better and worse choices out there).

* Eat as much protein as you want. Yes, that's right. Ad libitum. Due to the limit on dietary fat, you need to get your protein from lean sources. Protein sources such as low fat cottage cheese, protein powder, chicken, turkey, tuna, pork and egg whites are good sources of protein this day.

* For effective fat loss, this should be limited to one evening per week. Apply the protocol and you will lose fat on a weekly basis as long as your diet is on point for the rest of the week.

Basically, the nutritional strategy I have outlined here is all about focusing on substrates that are least likely to cause net synthesis of fat during hypercaloric conditions. Alcohol and protein, your main macronutrients this day, are extremely poor precursors for de novo lipogenesis. Alcohol suppresses fat oxidation, but by depriving yourself of dietary fat during alcohol consumption, you won't be storing anything. Nor will protein cause any measurable de novo lipogenesis. High protein intake will also compensate for the weak effect of alcohol on satiety and make you less likely to blow your diet when you're drinking.

By the way, a nice bonus after a night of drinking is that it effectively rids you of water retention. You may experience the "whoosh"-effect, which I've talked about in my two-part series about water retention. That in itself can be motivating for folks who've been experiencing a plateau in their weight loss.

Apply this with good judgement and don't go out and do something stupid now. Remember, this a short-term strategy for those that want to be able to drink freely* without significantly impacting fat loss progress or causing unwanted fat gain. It's not something I encourage people to do on a daily basis, but it's one of the strategies that I apply for maintaining low body fat for myself and my clients.

* Now of course...you can always drink in moderation and make sure to not go over your calorie budget for the day. But what fun is there in that? I'd rather cheat the system with the kind metabolic mischief I've layed out above.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I drink rum and diet's all night with a twist of lime. They are only 65 calories a drink and by the 5th one I'm tore up!
  • kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    This website has good alcohol calorie info: http://getdrunknotfat.com/

I have kept on drinking alcohol throughout my weight loss. Just log the calories you drink, keep it within your goal, and don't make the fatal error of eating crap food after you've had a few too many!