Starting Couch to 5K today!

Options
I'm going to try couch to 5K, starting today, I'll be doing it on my treadmill! Any tips from people who have done it? I'm not really a runner so I hope this helps! Anyone else want to join??

Replies

• Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've not done it myself, but a few of my friends who have done it say it's very simple. I'm sure you will do just fine! Make sure to stretch though because if you aren't used to running shin splints can ruin things quickly!
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just finished! I find that what worked for me is not moving on to the next week if you are still struggling with the week you are on, and vise vera. for me I completely skipped week 4 because I could handle week 5, but I spend 2 weeks on week 1. Goodluck!!! My first 5k is October 30th so hopefully it goes well!!!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 9. I would try my absolute best to run outside 2 out of the 3 days. It much much different than a treadmill and worth the effort. Get RUNNING SHOES!!!

Good Luck
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    dont give up. its designed to ease you into it and it DEF works. i was running the 3 miles quites consistently for many moths then stopped. gained like 10 pounds back [eek!] im now back to 2 mile runs [treadmill also i know its kinda cheating but owell better than nothing]... working my way back to 3.

its all about building the strength in your legs and LEARNING TO BREATHE!! if you dont know how to properly breathe and run its so hard.. dont go too fast at first during the 'runs' either or youll get discouraged. try 5.5 mph if youre really not a runner. my bf makes fun of me for running slower but i dont care. sorry im never gonna run a 5 minute mile!
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 yesterday! I will join along with you! It's supposed to be sort of chilly here this week so I could use someone to motivate me to get out there and still run in the cold! I can tell that it will work if I stick with it.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    You'll do great. The running slowly increases. I'm finishing it up and I have a 5k on the 29th. I'll be pushing my 2 boys in a double jogging stroller :noway: Yikes, but I've been doing the training with them too. Good luck you will like the program.
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    If you want a more "road experience" on the treadmill put it at a 1 percent incline. Running hills really increases your endurance. I did the same program 2 years ago to get back into running and I enjoyed it. Make sure that you love your shoes!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just finished! I find that what worked for me is not moving on to the next week if you are still struggling with the week you are on, and vise vera. for me I completely skipped week 4 because I could handle week 5, but I spend 2 weeks on week 1. Goodluck!!! My first 5k is October 30th so hopefully it goes well!!!

My first is on Oct 30th too! Good luck :)
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've not done it myself, but a few of my friends who have done it say it's very simple. I'm sure you will do just fine! Make sure to stretch though because if you aren't used to running shin splints can ruin things quickly!

This is what happened to me week 2 day 2 & i'm still trying to recover. Please stretch and wear good shoes. Really good leg calf stretches. Good luck its a great program & I can't wait until I'm healed enough to restart.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I graduated a few weeks ago and now run at least 30 minutes 3 times a week. Could barely run the 60 seconds the first week, so I am extremely pleased with this.

My advice is simple: Stick to the Plan.

Even though you may feel like you can go more, stick to the plan. It's meant to be a gradual increase to avoid burnout and injury.

Have fun!
  • jadick825
    jadick825 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am also starting today and excited but nervous. I am by no means a runner or even a fast walker. I have heard it's pretty simple. If you want to friend me, maybe we can keep each other going. Good luck! :smile:
  • gail16
    gail16 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm going to start tomorrow. I'm so looking forward to it :o)

Bet I will regret saying that in two weeks time ;o)
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    ive done it. my only advice woudl be - dont push yourself farther than they have you running/walking. just go with the routine even if you feel you could do more - youll possibly burn out (if youre anythign like me) and sign up for a 5K so you have motivation to keep going! good luck...its not as terrifying as it looks :)
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I did my first day last Saturday. It was HARD. But when I finished, I was so proud of myself I couldn't stop smiling all night. It was a wonderful feeling.

I'm doing day 2 - after work tonight. I expect it will be a bit harder since I'm still sore from Saturday, but I'm so excited to try.

Here's some advice I was given:

Don't eat within a couple hours before the workout, at least till you get into it and now how you react. If I'd have eaten within an hour I would have tossed my cookies for sure.

Also, you're going to sweat like you never sweat before in your life, and be beat red in the face, but when you finish you will feel like a million bucks.

Also, people tell me it gets easier. But since I've only done 1 day, I can't comment on that yet. :)
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i started today too but i did the running around the street version not treadmill :) xxx
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i started today too but i did the running around the street version not treadmill :) xxx
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've done C25K and ran my first proper 5K race on Saturday. Like other people have said, try running outside, it's a lot more fun, and make sure you get proper shoes! I couldn't run at all when I started but the programme is great.
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do have good shoes, I use my treadmill, but i just randomly walk/jog, i want something to really get me moving so hopefully this is it, I did just finish the 30 day shred, so I'm not just going into it without doing anything first either! I think i'll use some of the warm up exercises from that to warm up first. Unfortunately I don't really live in a neighborhood that I can run outside, we live on a pretty busy street, so its dangerous to do it, and I really don't want to have to drive somewhere to run, which is why I got the treadmill in the first place, usually i just turn on a movie or my ipod to distract me. Thanks for all the input!!
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 and I have been doing it everyday instead of 3 times a week and it's going really well for me. I am doing it on the treadmill. I NEVER thought I would like running and I am not totally there yet but it is becoming more enjoyable than I expected it would be. It is very satisfying to complete it each day and especially when I think about how far I've come since starting and this is at only 3 weeks in so I am looking forward to seeing how I do after I'm finished.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 yesterday and it was not as bad as I was expecting at all, but I jogged REALLY slow. Like not much faster than I walk. LOL I might end up taking much longer than you are supposed to to finish it but that's ok with me. I know my body and I can't run fast, at least not yet anyway. :)