Eating Before Early Morning Workout

Options
If I work out at 5:30 am, what should I eat as a pre-workout meal? Is it okay to drink a protein shake before and during my early morning workout? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!!!

JAM

Replies

• Legalchica
    Options
    i've heard it's a good idea to give you energy for your workout... but I can't do it. It makes me feel sick...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I drink one before on some days :]

No need to drink it during tho
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Start with a piece of fruit and half a slice of toast. tummies can be sensitive that early. If you can handle that, then work up to something with more substance. I'd save the protein shake for after.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I was hungry this morning but didn't want to eat a whole meal before I worked out so I just had a hard boiled egg and a babybel light cheese. Then post workout I had my protein shake.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    For me it ultimately depends on how far in advance I could drink it. If I can get it in an hour before I start my workout, by all means a good protein shake or bar is great for giving me some extra energy in my workout. However, I find if I eat or drink much of anything less than an hour before I workout I feel very sluggish and less energetic. At that point I'm better off not eating or drinking anything before the workout.

Ultimately I think you have to try it for yourself and just see how you feel.
  • rleeno1
    Options
    Protien rebuilds the muscle that is broken down during your workout. It is recommended to take the protein in the evening before you rest for the night. This will allow your muscles to recover faster and reduce soreness. Please drink plenty of water. Oh and protein bars should not be used to replace meals. i hope this helps. For more information go to www.reclaimurhealth.com
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Usually I am just fine with some coffee. I'll usually have my protein shake after I exercise.
  • TamLind83
    TamLind83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am sure it's different for everyone, but I usually eat a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter 30-45 minutes before my workout. It doesn't make me feel sick, nor give me a side cramp (when I'm doing cardio), but it does give me some fuel so I don't poop out before I'm done working out.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    The days that I workout at 5am I don't eat anything before... I usually have a protein shake or protein oatmeal after my workout though.
  • OtakuEngineer
    Options
    I typically eat a granola bar and a string cheese about an hour before working out which gives me plenty of energy to get through it, and then I drink a protein shake directly after the workout. It's just what I've heard is to give yourself some good energy before a workout, and then protein after to help rebuild your muscles.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I start that early as well, and have managed to choke down half a granola bar with some coffee (while driving to the gym) beforehand, but usually can't eat much. Tried a banana a few times, but they can cause heartburn for a lot of people (and did for me...very unpleasant to workout with that).

Bottom line...I'd say don't force anything unless you feel like you need more energy for your workout. Make sure you get something for recovery as quickly as you can afterward though....
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I exercise 1st thing in the morning. I understand it's not ideal to work out prior to "breaking the fast" (Breakfast), but it's how it has to work for me. Once in a while I'll sneak in a banana or a piece of WW toast with natural PB, but that's usually on Saturday when I have a bit more time. But M-F I workout at 5AM and am usually just getting out of bed 15 minutes prior to that. I do find I have more energy on my Saturday AM workouts when I can workout at 9AM after having some breakfast and a cup of coffee! :smile: Tho, I do usually have about 20 oz of water before I start my early morning routine.

I have a protein shake immediately after my workout. THen about an hour later (after my shower and getting the kiddos off to school) I eat my breakfast.
  • pambeane
    pambeane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find that my energy level is significantly higher when i eat before i workout. 1/2 cup of greek yogurt/stevia 30 minutes before usually gives me what I need. IF i have time to eat a meal, I'll eat 2 eggs and a piece of canadian bacon an hour before and that REALLY makes a difference on my energy level. good luck! :smile:
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:45am and I do a strenuous workout starting at 5:00. I have a slice of whole wheat toast with a bit jam (1/4 tsp) before I leave. I find it helps me - the sugars in the jam to get me going and then the more complex carbs in the toast to take over later in the workout.