Desk job

Options
This probably sounds trivial but it really gets to me. I work in an office and sit at a desk all day. I try to get my workout in on my lunch hour since I'm so busy in the evenings with other obligations. After I workout at lunch time, I come back to the office and sit at my desk for the remainder of the afternoon. I always feel like my workout was a "waste of time" once my body slows down and I'm sitting on my rearend for another 4 hours. Does this make sense? Can someone say something that can help keep me motivated to do this? Otherwise, I could see myself giving up the treadmill at lunch time. :/

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Your work out makes a huge differance. Sitting down after does not change how many calories you just, burned and you still have the after burn effect. I am sure your body is thankful to have the movement mid day. Way to go.
  • arykh24
    arykh24 Posts: 64
    Options
    try sitting on an exercise ball at your desk instead of your chair...this way your core muscles are engaged most of the day!! And it is just fun to bounce on the ball all day! Somehow it makes me in a better mood!
  • gingerdarling
    Options
    noooo! Don't give up! Have you tried replacing your desk chair with a ball? At least it keeps your abs engaged, especially when you lean for things. :)
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Can you workout in the morning? This sends my energy through the roof at least until lunchtime - I get up about 4:30a - it feels so good once it's done I don't have to think about it no more for the reminder of the day....
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    I have a desk job too, but I will stand while typing on the comp, so i don't have to sit as much, i'm doing it right now lol. but i would not stop exercising during lunch. i walk to the nearby park by my work and swing on the swings, it rejuvenates me and that's extra calories lost. i need to do something or i get really lethargic
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I work out during my lunch break, as do most of my fellow office mates. Its not a waste!! You are getting your calorie and fat burning exercise in for the day! Just because you sit down afterwards does not mean it's all gone to waste. If I go to the gym after work, I go home eat dinner and go to bed- which consits of me laying down for about 6-8 hours. Is my work out wasted then? No! Keep it up! Not only is it good for you mentally to get out of the office at lunch, but the exercise you are doing, does make a difference!
  • TamLind83
    TamLind83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Dont' be discouraged. That workout that you are getting in at lunch is better than sitting for another 30 minutes or however long your lunch is. Even if you only burn 250 calories each time, that's still almost a half a pound worth of calories that you burned off.
  • cherokeetracey
    Options
    i have a resistance band (got mine from avon) when i am sat down watching tv, i use the bannd to do stretches with my arms and legs, and you can also get a small bike thing that goes under your desk so when you are working you can be cycling x
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    it ups your metabolism for the rest of the day! My *kitten* has taken the shape of my chair so I feel your pain btw!
  • samschuler
    Options
    I hear exactly what you're saying!

I work at a desk job as well and the way that i look at it, some people have very busy lives.. such as yourself (and me) and if the lunch hour is the only time that you can dedicate to yourself to be active to look and feel better why stop!

You should look online for some easy desk exercises that you can do after your work out .. that might make you feel a bit better about sitting for the rest of the afternoon and will keep those calories buring... Keep up the good work, dont stop now a little is more than none.
  • Lizzie1229
    Lizzie1229 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do the same on my lunch break, then return to my desk job. I look at it this way...at least I was able to get some exercise in. That's much better than sitting around on lunch, possibly overindulging on food, then regretting it later (twice as much since I overindulged and didn't exercise). Moving your body and being active is NEVER a waste of time! Every little bit helps. Even after you stop exercising your body continues to burn calories for awhile. Keep up with the treadmill...You're doing great things for your body!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i used to work at an office and had to do the same thing. i lost a butt ton of weight cause i working it harder caue i always had to rush, rush back to work...keep it up...its NEVER a waste...EVER! *high five* to you for doing this!! i know how hard it is to motivate like that.
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I wish I could free up enough time in my current job to sneak away for a mid day session.

Working out during the day breaks up a long day and can keep you feeling both productive and more satisfied with your work. In addition a good workout gives you more resilience to stress-associated problems at the office.
  • cbmich1860
    cbmich1860 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I sit all day long as well. Just hang in there!! You are doing great; I have to work out after work. The alternative is.... if you do not work out, the pounds will keep creeping up wards. I use to say if I look at a carrot I would gain 10 pounds LOL.

Someone said this to me:

You can either go thru the pain of discipline now or the pain of regret later!!

This helps me to say this to myself when I get discouraged!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I was running before work, but now it is dark. So I have been doing it after work. Soon it will be dark then too. I really can't imagine doing the lunch time thing. But it looks like I am going to have to. I used to rollerblade 12 miles at lunch at another job, but it was so beautiful there just being outside next to the ocean was great. I have an hour, so I plan to make it count.
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    Most of your coworkers don't get off their butts even for lunch!

Good for you for finding a workout schedule that works for you! It's not easy to make exercise a priority in your life, but you have. It's not easy to make exercise a sustainable part of a new lifestyle, but you have. Be proud of yourself and focus on making the most of that time every day.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I also work a deskjob, so I totally understand your frustration/pain. I also am a single mother of 2 babies, so my time is also limited at night. I do my workouts at night once the babies are in bed (after 8 usually). I have started a toning group for while at work (Beth's Angels Toning Group). You are more than welcome to join - you can find it in the fitness forum. I also do workout dvds at home because I don't have time or money to join a gym - I have done 30-day shred, Turbojam, and I am currently doing Ripped in 30. Jillian is brutal but she gets the job done. I have also lost 55 lbs, and have hit my first goal weight of 140. This is very doable - it just takes time. Don't get discouarged!!!
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing! Personally, I love it - I don't have to think about it, it's harder for me to just skip the gym and go home if I'm worried about timing or tired at the end of the work day, it helps me not fall into that afternoon doze that usually hits around 3-4, and I've gotten into a trend of eating a slightly larger lunch and smaller dinners whenever I go to the gym during work (we burn more calories right after a work out, and I feel better going to sleep on a less-stuffed stomach!). I know what you mean, but I definitely don't think it's wasted, and there are way more pros than cons (if there are any cons!) - you could try doing a quick stretch/pilates/yoga routine when you get home or after work, if you feel like you want to do more by that time of day :)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I work out when its convenient.....and when I am at my desk I stand. Also, during the day I refuse to take elevators and will always take the stairs. I work in a high rise and usually do about 40 flights.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU everyone! With support like this why would I want to give up my lunch hour exercise? THIS is why I love MFP!