any doctors in the house? why is my weight the same?

Options
about a year ago, i started weighing myself at night and in the morning. based on the weight i was that night, i was able to (accurately) predict what i would weigh in the morning. typically i would lose 2 pounds overnight. sometimes more, but very rarely less.

in april, i started taking fertility meds. it has really messed with my weight loss. i now spend one week gaining an excessive amount of weight, 2 weeks losing it and one week of a small 'real' weight loss before starting the cycle over again.

this is a week that should be a 'small real weight loss' week.

instead i am weighing the same each morning (or sometimes more) as i did the previous night. i started out wednesday at 122.0 and each day have steadily gained a pound without the typical loss associated with nighttime sleeping. for example, last night, i weighed 126.1 and this morning, i woke up to 126.3.

what is going on? is this hormone-related (even though i haven't experienced it in the previous cycles)?

for those that are going to suggest starvation mode or eating more, i am certain that is not it. thank you.
for those that think i am eating too much and want to see my diary, i have been at this for almost 2 years now and am at a point where i know i am not consuming weight-gaining calorie amounts. thank you.
*for those that will suggest going to my own doctor, i see my doctors regularly for bloodwork (every 3 days) and although they are very knowledgeable and caring people, my appointments are rushed and they could really care less about my weight loss. thank you.*

i am looking for a medical opinion to explain why i am not 'losing' any weight at night when i am sleeping like i have for the last year, or another fertility patients' experience.

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Have you considered asking YOUR doctor?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I can give you some advice if you'd like but a few questions first:

1. Are you sure you are accurately measuring your TDEE level?

2. How much of a caloric deficit are you eating daily/weekly?

3. How much water/fluids are you consuming per day?
  • spottedlee
    Options
    I have to agree with this poster,, at the very bottom of webpage it says,,,,,,,
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Temperature change?

I thought weight lost at night was water lost through sweating. Maybe you aren't sweating as much because it's colder? I dunno. Hope you find your answer.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Could you please pee on your monitor, so we can do some analysis?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Temperature change?

I thought weight lost at night was water lost through sweating. Maybe you aren't sweating as much because it's colder? I dunno. Hope you find your answer.

Food digestion
  • joejccva71
    Options

LMAO ...ok that's it. Dude I gotta friend you...thats just epic.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Psh. Shoooot....her doctor ain't got nothin' on the MFP docs!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Temperature change?

temperature change might be it, but i actually wake up several times a night with night sweats.
  • BulldogCNM
    Options
    Hormones notoriously mess with weight loss. And repeated exposure is eventually what alters your bodies sensitivity to it...I have heard over and over from pts who use fertility drugs that they gain weight but usually not until the 2nd or 3rd cycle (I have heard this as a labor & delivery nurse). Also, with an on again off again love affair with prednisone I can tell you that hormone caused me to have MAJOR issues with my weight and emotions. It would be helpful to know if you are on progesterone or estrogen shots? Estrogen is often associated with an increase in weight (hence the reason combination birth control can lead to weight gain) it mimics the coritsol pathway which is our "stress" hormone which tells us to hold onto as MUCH fat (aka energy) as possible...again I'm not an MD and I couldn't possible give you a diagnosis without really getting into the nitty gritty of your ongoing treatment and medical history..but this is just a little food for thought and I hope it helps you? Sadly, none of these things can be "fixed" unless you withdraw the hormone and if you are trying to get pregnant that's not really an option. The reason why you are probably holding onto weight during your sleep may have to do with growth hormone..that is the most active hormone is our sleep which helps us repair damage done to bones and connective tissue during the day perhaps your growth hormone is getting more sluggish because of the excess of the other hormones in your body? ...Again if you want more info I am happy to let you pick my brain. But it seems you need to see an endocrinologist and maybe look into your blood sugar because giving yourself hormones can cause all kinds of issues with your natural pathways. Good luck and I hope you get the baby of your dreams :)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

ROFLMFAO! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question227.htm

This explains how we lose the water weight while we sleep. With the night sweats though, that's curious. Sorry hon!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should weigh yourself less often?
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I can give you some advice if you'd like but a few questions first:

1. yes, i had my base caloric rate tested.

2. my calorie deficit is 250 a day.

3. i consume 90 to 130 ounces of water a day.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    This seems to be a rarity around here and I'm sure it will be a shocking thought but:

Have you considered you're eating too much?
  • joejccva71
    Options

2. my calorie deficit is 250 a day.

3. i consume 90 to 130 ounces of water a day.

You had your base caloric rate tested. So you had your BMR tested? That's not your TDEE. TDEE is your total daily energy expedenture. It's the amount of calories you burn in a 24 hour period, composed of your BMR + TEA + TEF.

What is your TDEE please?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It could be the plums.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    It would be helpful to know if you are on progesterone or estrogen shots? Estrogen is often associated with an increase in weight (hence the reason combination birth control can lead to weight gain) it mimics the coritsol pathway which is our "stress" hormone which tells us to hold onto as MUCH fat (aka energy) as possible...again I'm not an MD and I couldn't possible give you a diagnosis without really getting into the nitty gritty of your ongoing treatment and medical history..but this is just a little food for thought and I hope it helps you? Sadly, none of these things can be "fixed" unless you withdraw the hormone and if you are trying to get pregnant that's not really an option. The reason why you are probably holding onto weight during your sleep may have to do with growth hormone..that is the most active hormone is our sleep which helps us repair damage done to bones and connective tissue during the day perhaps your growth hormone is getting more sluggish because of the excess of the other hormones in your body? ...Again if you want more info I am happy to let you pick my brain. But it seems you need to see an endocrinologist and maybe look into your blood sugar because giving yourself hormones can cause all kinds of issues with your natural pathways. Good luck and I hope you get the baby of your dreams :)

i will take the growth hormone suggestion to my doctors. thank you! that is really helpful.

i am on a low dose of estrogen this week. previously, i have lost weight on estrogen, but gained 6-15 pounds on progesterone. i have pcos/insulin resistance which is why i have to have bloodwork done every 3 days on the hormones.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

So are you working on an MFP calculation or your own? The reason I ask is that if you have lost weight and/or your body composition has changed since you had it tested then your TDEE would also have changed...
  • Jendulin
    Options
    Everyone has their own explination as to why they think its happening. I was on fertility drugs for about 3 months I am a nurse and the only thing I can suggest if it is really bothering you is to speak with your doctore. It is most likely a side effect of the medication and you have to ask your self what is more important the reason why you are taking them or weight loss. If you are planning to get pregnant hate to tell you, your gunna gain weight.