BodyBugg vs. Fitbit

Options
I would love to hear from anyone who has either of these devices and if you love them or hate them? Which one is better? Etc.

Thank you!

Replies

• galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just got a BodyBugg and am loving it. It is a little hard to get used to with it being on your arm but it helps me see the calories I am really burning. I also have not been having some of the issues I see with people are having with FitBit. I love this little thing!
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    I had the bodybugg before... Sold it.. I couldnt wear the band at work all the time... I use either a HRM watch or I heard the fitbit is good too... Its just based on your preference.. They all do the same thing
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit (the old one, they just came out with a new one). I like it although I haven't found the discipline to upload my stats everyday or even wear it everyday. The main things I like:
    - The price of the unit (compared to BB)
    - You can use the site to upload info and track calories for free
    - Small size, you can wear it on your pants or even your bra
    - It's not complicated- just put it on and check your steps, cals, and activity
    It's not perfect, but I'm sure the newer version has made improvements. The most important thing is using it- I just haven't made myself wear it everyday.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit...it is smaller than the bodybugg, just as accurate, and tracks more than the bodybugg does. Also, it's cheaper and the online resources for it are free, unlike with bodybugg. I don't remember how I survived without mine, lol!
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had the bodybugg before... Sold it.. I couldnt wear the band at work all the time... I use either a HRM watch or I heard the fitbit is good too... Its just based on your preference.. They all do the same thing

A HRM is not the same thing- it should only be used when your HR will be elevated (during exercise) the numbers it calculates during non-workout times (normal HR) are practically meaningless.
  • duckieresolved
    duckieresolved Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit...it is smaller than the bodybugg, just as accurate, and tracks more than the bodybugg does. Also, it's cheaper and the online resources for it are free, unlike with bodybugg. I don't remember how I survived without mine, lol!

Do you find that it accurately tracks high-intensity cardio - aerobic dance, for example? I know it does walking/stairs, etc. But most of my exercise is done in high intensity dance classes. :-/
  • Crtny
    Crtny Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just got my fitbit about a week ago. I love it! It's tiny so you can tuck it away and no one even sees it! It has given me a new insight to my fitness. I am very active and it's fun to watch my progress each day. It has also helped me to see on days that I don't work out that I really have to scale back on calories. It monitors your sleep which has been very interesting to track. All in all.....LOVE IT!!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Fit (same technology as the Bodybug) - love it - and all the information it provides - for the first time I actually know how many calories I burn every day .....

I do not know anything about the Fitbit, but the questions I would ask - as it is not directly attached to the body / skin it does not seem to track your heart rate, body temperature or moisture levels the way the Bodyfit does....which then would not make it quite as accurate??
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Do you find that it accurately tracks high-intensity cardio - aerobic dance, for example? I know it does walking/stairs, etc. But most of my exercise is done in high intensity dance classes. :-/

yes, I find that it is extremely accurate. I do high intensity workouts as well (I box), and the burn seems to be about right where it should be. Also, when I do the elliptical as a warm-up the "mileage" that it tracks is always very close to the mileage the machine says.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

Since I have had my Bodymedia Fit I have realised how unacurate my HRM is in measuring Weight Training Calories burned - the Bodymedia, and HRM readings are pretty close when it comes to Aerobic exercise, but the HRM is way higher than the Bodymedia when it comes to weighttraining....

An lower body session measurement with HRM 410 calories - Bodymedia only 296 calories.

I have read this in quite a few posts / reviews of HRM's (that it is not accurate in measuring weighttraining), but now have the "living proof"
  • duckieresolved
    Options
    yes, I find that it is extremely accurate. I do high intensity workouts as well (I box), and the burn seems to be about right where it should be. Also, when I do the elliptical as a warm-up the "mileage" that it tracks is always very close to the mileage the machine says.

Thank you. I definitely like the price on the fitbit better - but I have definitely been wondering if it would be realistic when it comes to doing something other than walking. :)
  • duckieresolved
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Fit (same technology as the Bodybug) - love it - and all the information it provides - for the first time I actually know how many calories I burn every day .....

I do not know anything about the Fitbit, but the questions I would ask - as it is not directly attached to the body / skin it does not seem to track your heart rate, body temperature or moisture levels the way the Bodyfit does....which then would not make it quite as accurate??

That is definitely my concern regarding the FitBit. It's such a big purchase and I just don't want to buy something that isn't going to work for me. Thanks for the information.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    While we're on the subject - does anyone have any comment on the sleeping tracker for fitbit? I've been eyeing these things since before they came out but still have yet to make a purchase. I'm curious on how well the sleeping tracker works since I usually toss and turn all night. Would love to hear from someone that owns one :)
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Quite liked the FitBit, and found it to be fairly accurate on workout/activity levels--provided you go through the step of adjusting it to your stride length when you first get it. Did monitor my sleep with it several nights, but eventually stopped because while the data was interesting, I didn't really do anything with it. It shows your restfulness/activity levels on a bar chart (I think in 15-minute increments) throughout the night, and gives your overall night of sleep a "grade." I also quite enjoyed the visual display/readout, and getting the flower on it to "bloom" throughout the day--a fun and rather innovative way to track your immediate activity level. (For those that don't know, the FitBit has a digital flower on its display that "grows" the more active you are.) As far as tracking, well, it was easy-peasey, lemon squeezie; any time you walk by the base station that comes with it, the data for activity gets automatically uploaded. And the online tools are easy, but not quite as robust as MFP's.

Of course, you have to track your food manually, so it's not totally automatic.

For me, the only real downside was: the size. It's small, which is great, but almost too small for someone like me who misplaces everything. I lost it once for a couple months, found it, then lost it again a few months later--even after I took to wearing the clip that comes with it just to make it bigger.
  • kaspily
    kaspily Posts: 24
    Options
    Is the Fitbit able to accurately calculate for bike riding? or only walking?
  • milowen
    milowen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit died in 2 weeks.
    Customer service tried to help me 'fix' it, but then it totally stopped working. It was cute in theory, but wish they would have replaced it for me (the way Amazon quickly sent me a new Kindle at the first mention of problems). I wish I could vouch for the product, but my experience was a dud. It was fun while it lasted, but I think any pedometer would have done just about the same.