Hello! I'm new here and at mommyhood

Options
Hello everyone!

I just had my first baby back in July, and despite my great track record of exercising (prior to pregnancy), I am struggling to get back into the groove of things. I have used an online diet and exercise journal before, and it proved to be really helpful in my success, but that was over 4 years ago. I returned to it, but found that the folks in the forums were not nearly as helpful or eager to be helpful as they were back then. Plus, they've made things more complicated, so I left. Now I have found MFP and I am excited to begin my new journey here. If there is anyone who has words of advice I'll take them!! I have to get back in shape so that I can pass my physical fitness test here before long. Goodness knows I am way too slow coming to be prepared for it just yet. Thanks and I can't wait to get started!

Yaya

Replies

• ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Adding you now!
  • mollb
    mollb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • TashaS
    TashaS Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I too just had a baby in July and have been VERY slow at getting back to exercise.

I used MFP about 2 years ago to help me loose 47 pounds, just before I became pregnant with my first. I was diligent after her and was able to loose all the baby weight plus another 5 pounds in 6 months - thanks to MFP... just to end up preggo again. So this is it... last time around... ready to shed the baby weight and all the extra weight I've been carrying around for years.

I find the best thing to do is set a short term goal (for me it was setting an number of minutes I wanted to exercise) and make sure you log in every day!

Congratulations on your baby!
  • vickytoman
    Options
    we are in a similar position, although i haven`t ever been in good shape! whats your goal this time around? i'm gonna try losing 20lbs by christmas, i wonder if its doable? whats your physical fitness test for? wishing you the best!
  • phyre_5
    phyre_5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm glad I came here - the support is already amazing :) My goal is to lose around 45 lbs. I am an Army reservist so I have to meet both weight and physical fitness test goals (the test consists of push ups, sit ups, and a 2 mile run). I have never been able to "make weight" (i have to be like 145 lbs and I've always hovered around 185...well not recently!!). So calorie counting plus exercising 8 times a week (back in the day) allowed me to meet my body fat percentage goals. thanks to everyone for the responses and the friending :) I'm so glad I found this site!
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    Hi there! I had a baby in January.. and I have been exercising off and on since then. I'll get in a good routine, and then get out of it again. My goal is 50 pounds, or a little more, and I'm starting over today! I'll add you, and we can do it together :)
  • LauraM1022
    Options
    Hello,
    It is nice to have you board mfp. I have been on here for almost a year a nd find it very helpful. Inputting your food and exercise is of great importance and know that if you work out make sure to add the amount of calories burned into your daily diet otherwise your body can go into starving mode and instead of losing weight your body will store fat (that is what the body does when it thinks your starving) I found that out the hard way; I was spinning 2 days a week and not adding the 400-500 calories that I burned back in and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to loose weight up until I started adding those calories back in I began loosing the weight. I hope that you find this information helpful. Laura
  • kltdempsey
    Options
    Welcome to MFP from Melbourne, Australia! I have only been with MFP for around 4 months, but already am 10lbs lighter and alot more toned than Ive ever been. Not sure if anyone else has been doing this, but Ive downloaded a couple of excercise hypnosis tracks and have been using them at the same time I started on MFP, so I think the combination of both has worked really well. If you want to know the ones Im using, feel free to email me. I suppose one thing to look at it the diet first and then gradually bring in the excercise. Having a baby is a kick in the @rse and takes a while to get used to, and sometimes the most difficult part is to actually make regular excercise time with yourself. Do you have a good support group that can help? Mine is very limited so I have to focus on making the time alot more than I expected (I now have 2 boys, 1 & 3yrs) I'll add you as a friend if you like and maybe we can bounce ideas off each other, as I would love to know what the training regime is, so I can pinch a couple of gems. Welcome xx