Fat girl in a little coat

Options
Last year I didn’t have a winter coat. Because I couldn’t fit into anything anywhere I went. I wore a stretched out hoodie from target and told everyone it was just fine and warm enough for me. I lied. I was freezing my *kitten* off. This year I’m in the exact same situation, except I bought a coat. I bought the biggest size they had and it still doesn’t fit. I cant get it on and button it, but the lining is so damn tight in my arms/shoulder/back it makes it beyond uncomfortable. I can wear it if I have to, but I wont like it, and I definitely cant drive in it.

You would think this would be enough to get my butt moving. Its not. I kept telling myself I have to get it together and get things going in the right direction. I wake up every morning with full intentions to do it right, and I go to bed every night a failure. I have all kinds of opportunities going for me right now; I just need to eat right. I just need to do one thing and I cant….

Rant over.

Replies

• vglv07
    vglv07 Posts: 8
    Options
    I know the feeling. My advice is to have mini goals. Even none food related goal like committing to food tracking for one week then doing it again the next week. Or walking 15 to 30 mins a day or every other day.Track your food even if you stuffed yourself. It will keep you honest. Good luck!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    One step at a time... try Burlington Coat Factory or stores like Debs or Fashion Bug.
  • smbland
    smbland Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One step at a time... try Burlington Coat Factory or stores like Debs or Fashion Bug.

Yes, Burlington has beautiful, inexpensive, BIG GIRL coats... I bought a coat last year for a trip I was going on (I live in FL and have no other use for it lol) but it fits wonderfully... I've had the same issues, so trust me when I say -- go to Burlington haha. I can't ever find clothes there, but coats for us seem to be on the racks :)
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    when i first joined I didnt diet but logged all my food everyday. After about a week I was amazed at all the crap I was putting into my body. I had no one to blame for being fat but me. I am the type of person that will eat something and once I am done I dont think about it anymore. So whats 1 candy bar or cake or soda...... well when you log it you see. I then started with Mini goals. If I can do good Monday - Friday over the weekend I would treat myself. Then once the weight started to come off I found other ways to treat myself.

I had to start this off as a game.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, I truly am. IT looks like you are losing some weight though. Small changes over time do add up. Keep at it, you can do this. Have you considered buying a men's coat? I'm personally almost 6' tall and have spent a good chunk of my life having to purchase men's items, especially running shoes. But I've also had to buy men's jeans to get them long enough, or whatever. Just a thought. I do understand though the desire to wear female clothes. Have you looked online? Perhaps you could find something there. Regardless, let this really motivate you to do what is best for you. You know the drill. Chin up...
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options

Yes, Burlington has beautiful, inexpensive, BIG GIRL coats... I bought a coat last year for a trip I was going on (I live in FL and have no other use for it lol) but it fits wonderfully... I've had the same issues, so trust me when I say -- go to Burlington haha. I can't ever find clothes there, but coats for us seem to be on the racks :)

Really? I love their clothes!!! Also Torrid is another one you can find a coat at.
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. My advice is to have mini goals. Even none food related goal like committing to food tracking for one week then doing it again the next week. Or walking 15 to 30 mins a day or every other day.Track your food even if you stuffed yourself. It will keep you honest. Good luck!

I agree with this 100% Baby steps Lead to Big Steps, Once you see it's Working for you, You'll want it more than you want to stay the same. Last year I shoped in the Mens Department for a Coat,.....I got a Nice one! This Year I really hope with my Whole Heart It won't fit, and Can Donate it for a Good Cause!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I got the coat at Lany Bryant, size 26/28 :<
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I agree with Burlington... That is where I have gotten stuff for cheap.

As for not sticking with it, you seem to be losing some weight, which is good. You can't beat yourself up. Half of this whole thing is attitude. Taking a walk or picking a healthy snack instead of crap is a small step you can take. You can't just change over night. Just do your best. Try to make every day a little better than the last.
  • kirsteinm
    kirsteinm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like the mini goal idea. Just start tracking the food you eat. You might be surprised at what you see. I always told myself that I was heavy because I didnt exercize, because I dont eat that much, Right? Well to tell you I was dilusional is an understatement. Once I started logging all the snacks and goodies that made their way into my pie hole, I was floored! No wonder I was stuck on the couch all day watching Real Housewives of New Jersey and NOT exercizing. I was too full of crap to have ANY energy. That opened my eyes that it had to start with the food I ate. Once I made the decision to adobt a change in the way i saw food, I saw the scale change ever so slightly. That gave me the motivation to move my stationary bike smack dab in the middle of the family room so I could peddle AND watch guilty pleasure TV. :)

Good luck on your journey.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree with vglv07, it is time to adjust your goals. Make them non-scale and attainable. Vglv07 had some good suggestions. I'll make some more: every day set yourself a goal that YOU KNOW will be possible. Say to yourself EACH morning: "TODAY, just for today I will:
    - walk in place for 5 minutes - or-
    - not drink any soda (sweetened or non-sweetened for one day -or-
    - tell myself I CAN do this -or-
    - drink at least 8 oz of water -or-
    - take the stairs (somewhere you go often) -or-
    - park a little further than you usually do when doing errands.

Keep this up EVERY DAY and EVERY DAY you will be able to celebrate your successes. Go to bed saying to yourself, "Look at me, I met my goal for today, I am a success". Don't think beyond this. Don't think about your ULTIMATE goal. Just adjust your goals each day so that you eat less empty calories, more nutritious calories, and move more. Good Luck!
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I'm a plus, plus size girl and several years I've been in your situation. I usually shop around, I found me a big swing coat at a thrift store and changed the buttons to make it modern. Don't give up, I see you have lost some weight, have you tried Old Navy online, they go up to 4x or eBay. Coats are out there for big girls on a budget you just have to look for them.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hey, please go easy on yourself. You're not "a failure." no matter what size you are or what you eat. You're more than your body and you're precious and valuable!

And eating right is not just "one thing" - it's a whole series of decisions from shopping, being prepared, logging your food, making a choice about everything that goes in your mouth (or doesn't). It's not black and white (Failure or success). And it's very much linked to your emotions and thinking. It's not a pure matter of will power.

It sounds like you're writing off whole days i.e. you eat something high cal. then say 'stuff it, I've ruined today so I'll eat whatever then try again tomorrow'. How about you make sure you log EVERYTHING no matter what and aim to get closer to your calorie limit. Even if you eat something high cal, keep focussed for the rest of the day on minimising your calories (but not starving yourself). And do some exercise (even just a short walk) to work off some cals.

Aim over a course of weeks (or even months) to retrain yourself... it takes time to get used to lower portion sizes and less junk food and being more active. But it is very possible to feel full and comfortable eating healthier once you've changed your habits.

Good luck on your journey!
  • FluffyCorky
    FluffyCorky Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I found a great winter coat online at old navy. Their prices are a little steep but in comparing them to the other stores they are a little cheaper. The clothes always run a little bigger so there's always room for comfort and they have a variety of styles. Highly recommend it.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and kind words everyone, I really appreciate it.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to borrow my new motto since joining MFP. Motto: My goal is to go to bed everyday healthier than when I got up. So far I have done just that. This is a place of great support and the occasional booty kicking. Providing you offer support right back you will be welcomed here. Log everything you eat and drink and drink lots of water you will find success. There are lots of personal trainers and fitness buffs here who can offer lots of good technical support too. Find friends with goals like yours and others who have already met their goals and you are on your way! Good luck.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    when i first joined I didnt diet but logged all my food everyday. After about a week I was amazed at all the crap I was putting into my body. I had no one to blame for being fat but me. I am the type of person that will eat something and once I am done I dont think about it anymore. So whats 1 candy bar or cake or soda...... well when you log it you see. I then started with Mini goals. If I can do good Monday - Friday over the weekend I would treat myself. Then once the weight started to come off I found other ways to treat myself.

I had to start this off as a game.

I think this is a brilliant idea!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    No one is going to comment on how awesome the OP is for making a Tommy Boy reference???? OP....You are AWESOME
  • lesliecastaneda913
    Options
    I had no idea so many other people felt this way, makes me want to cry cause i thought i was the only one. :laugh: reading all of your comments is making me feel great and want to get out there and do it, you girls are AWESOME