Working in a restaurant and dieting?

Options
Is there any way to resist the urge of eating on the job? I know deep down that it is just setting me back... but I just can't seem to tell myself no to eating calorie-laden things at work. :frown:

The guilt always hits me afterwards, though.

Replies

• Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    Is there any way to resist the urge of eating on the job? I know deep down that it is just setting me back... but I just can't seem to tell myself no to eating calorie-laden things at work. :frown:

• July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Try delaying it. Allow yourself one thing a day, only at the end of your shift. When you get better at it, try only once a week, or swap it out - say, I can have a new pair of earrings, or I can have this fudge brownie sundae.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    When I waited tables, GUM was my friend. I had to learn to tuck it under my tongue or in my cheek when I took orders, but in the back I chewed it constantly. It is a hard thing to do being surrounded by food all the time!
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Or maybe try eating before you go and bringing snacks with you for when you get hungry? If you are full you may be tempted to eat less?? Or maybe watch how they fry the food and stuff, that might turn you off!hahaha
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Is there any way to resist the urge of eating on the job? I know deep down that it is just setting me back... but I just can't seem to tell myself no to eating calorie-laden things at work. frown

I am a baker at a pizzeria and I know the troubles of really wanting the food you see all day. Before I started here at MFP I would take home a pizza just about everyday and eat it myself. It was supposed to be like a personal pan pizza, but even that had 1200 calories, I now know.

So, to stop this madness, I began bringing a snack with me to work everyday. I usually bring a canteen of water, a peanut butter sandwich, and a banana. I it really helps with the cravings I get during the day.

Now when you get such an awesome discount on food, it's hard to pass it up. So my boyfriend and I set a rule that we will only bring home a pizza once a week, and split it. The pizza we get ends up beings 445 calories for half, so it's high calorie but not diet breaking. Maybe you can set yourself a similar limit? Also, really try to figure out what you have at work that is diet friendly.

Also, be careful of those small bites that add up. I used to lick the cookie dough spoon every day at work and thought nothing of it. Now I know that the cookie dough is 245 calories an ounce! I know some people on here are pretty against diet soda, but a nice diet Dr. Pepper, keeps me from indulging.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
    Work can really be sabotage, but only if you let it be.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    GUM :bigsmile:
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Try snacking on some veggies like baby carrots and celery while at work. I use to be a waitres and I understand how hard it is to not want to eat everything that comes out that door. Good Luck.