Sugar alcohols?

Options
I just ate a protein bar with 2gms of sugar and 14gms of sugar alcohols. It was very good but I have no idea what sugar alcohols are and my gut tells me it's probably something I shouldn't eat very much of. Can anyone tell me what sugar alcohols are and what they do to the body?

Replies

• Maria_Goose
    Options
    Well as you're about to find out, they have a laxative effect and are supposed to cancel out carbs(ie if the bar has 20 carbs, take away 14 sugar alcohol and you have 6 "net" carbs). Also, you'll find these in diabetic-friendly (sugar free) candies.

Not entirely sure what exactly they are. I know they start out as sugar and there's some sort of synthetic process that takes place in a lab.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump! I'd also like to to know what exactly sugar alcohols are
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I just ate a protein bar with 2gms of sugar and 14gms of sugar alcohols. It was very good but I have no idea what sugar alcohols are and my gut tells me it's probably something I shouldn't eat very much of. Can anyone tell me what sugar alcohols are and what they do to the body?
    A few things I eat have them. Sugarfree chewing gum has them. I've never had a problem with them, but then I've never gorged on them either.

Here is the lowdown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-alcohols/

Here is a good site that explains it
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Some are more sensitive to it than others. Sounds like that might be the case for you.
  • stephaniej05
    Options
    The main difference is that sugar alcohols are not hydrogenated (missing a hydrogen) so they are not completely broken down in your system and typically create a smaller change in blood glucose levels. This is why if you have too many of them you will get diarrhea!!!! They also have less food energy which is why they also count negatively towards net carbs
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols make my IBS angry! :( I feel like I have gut rot after just a small bit.