Is this a fair goal at the gym?

Options
I can't say exercise is my thing, but it's something I'm willing to have a go at. I have my gym membership and tend to go through phases with it. Went tonight for this first time in a little while.

I can't eat my exercise calories, I just can't do it. Whether I work out or not I eat the same amount of calories.

Is a good goal for a workout to burn off half of what you have eaten that day?

I'm the type of person that needs numerical goasl to work towards, so my weight, my exercise, my food, you catch my drift.

Any ideas much appreciated xx

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    What are your goals exactly? Alot of weight to lose? A little? 10lbs?
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    To cut a long story short..

Basically I started at 182lbs, got down to 132lbs, maintained for a year, started bouncing up and down a bit but always then got back to 133lbs, then went on holiday this summer and put on a whole 14lbs in 2 weeks! As of today I'm 144lbs, looking to get back down to 132lbs and then an extra 6 pounds as well.

I'm 5ft 7.5'

So ultimately, I've got 18lb to go!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for you...

are you planning on keeping the weight off? If so, then you should eat your exercise calories in order to lose them the right way..

if you want to do half the job..your going to hit a plateau at some point and wonder why, your weight isn't budging...and possibly gain weight because your body decides it doesn't want to release the little amount you ingested..so if that's the case..keep going at it the way your doing..

For me, I did it the way your going at..for about 2yrs..AND I did hit a plateau..nothing moved..yet I still did the exercise thing..thinking it would change...and since coming to MFP..I have changed all my eating patterns...and hence, have lost 11 pounds and several inches since August of this year...

Just something, you should think about...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    No.
  • allie1904
    Options
    I just don't see the point in eating if I'm not hungry. It's 11pm now here and I'm not going to fill myself up before bed, just defeats the object in my eyes.

I posted about this before and I know people think I'm daft but it's just not gonna happen. No way.

I maintained my weight for a year, so easily, pound up, pound down, pound, up pound down. So I know when I get back to that weight, it wont be a problem. It's the holiday bacon baguettes that has caused me all the problems.

I just feel like a lost soul at the gym, not really knowing what I'm mean't to be doing with myself!
  • allie1904
    Options
    I just don't see the point in eating if I'm not hungry. It's 11pm now here and I'm not going to fill myself up before bed, just defeats the object in my eyes.

I posted about this before and I know people think I'm daft but it's just not gonna happen. No way.

I maintained my weight for a year, so easily, pound up, pound down, pound, up pound down. So I know when I get back to that weight, it wont be a problem. It's the holiday bacon baguettes that has caused me all the problems.

I just feel like a lost soul at the gym, not really knowing what I'm mean't to be doing with myself!
  • allie1904
    Options
    No.

Care to expand?
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options

That's okay. Tomorrow will bring a new opportunity to plan your day so that you can get enough nutrition to do well at your workout.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    No.

Care to expand?

Answer Joe first.
  • allie1904
    Options
    I did?! This is what I replied with..
    To cut a long story short..

Basically I started at 182lbs, got down to 132lbs, maintained for a year, started bouncing up and down a bit but always then got back to 133lbs, then went on holiday this summer and put on a whole 14lbs in 2 weeks! As of today I'm 144lbs, looking to get back down to 132lbs and then an extra 6 pounds as well.

I'm 5ft 7.5'

So ultimately, I've got 18lb to go!
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy IMO. Gaining muscle mass will help reduce that weight fluctuation you're experiencing.
  • jbmergen
    Options
    When you exercise, your metabolism stays up all day. Eating the calories you burn off doesn't mean you just undid everything you did during your workout.
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    If you feel like a lost soul in the gym, get yourself a trainer to help you sort through the mass of machines and to know what to do. A program is what you are looking for.

I say YES to weights too. I have been a yoyo weight-loss candidate for years and I only concentrated on cardio and food. I joined my local gym and have been with a trainer 2 times a week doing weights and WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE IT HAS MADE!!

Believe it or not, I haven't lost much BUT my body shape is changing, my clothes are loose and I have energy to burn. I do cardio in between the weight sessions and have found that my legs are now strong enough (thanks to squats and leg press etc) to get me jogging. I am only a newbie but I started with 30kg/40kg leg press and I now do 110kg with no help. I am sooo happy with my results and I couldn't have done this without the guidance of a trainer. Sure, maybe a year down the track I can do it by myself but right now I need someone to show me the ropes.

Don't quote me on this as I haven't the correct figures .... doing strength training burns fat longer than cardio. I don't know how long for, maybe twice or 3 times longer, but muscle is what you need to build.

Hope this helps.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP- I didn't forget about ya...was leaving work. You dont have too much to lose so you can go about this one of two ways.

1. Do the eating your exercise calories bit, and yes eat them back. Although I don't recommend people diet like this because people forget that they burn calories all day instead of just during exercise.

2. (Preferred method) - Find out your TDEE (total daily energy expedenture) which is all the calories you burn in a 24hr period. Then eat a deficit of 500-1000 calories under that TDEE. Or eat at a 20% deficit.

Make sure you get your minimum protein macros daily to preserve as much lean mass as possible. .5g - 1g per lb of bw is sufficient. Eat around .35g of dietary fat per lb of bw. Do 3 days of strength training in the gym, and 2 days of HIIT cardio. Take 2 days off. Lift heavy in the gym.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options

Well this is kinda funny because you KNOW you can maintain your weight, but yet you're up 14. So maybe you really don't know how to maintain your weight.
    Try a basic full body workout (1 exercise per body part) 3 times a week to start and add in some cardio after.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Do the new rules of lifting for women! I am similar in that I need to be told what to do, but am amazing at following through when I know what to do. NRoL4W gives you a complete exercise plan and the rationale for why you need to do what they tell you to do. I don't eat as much as the book suggests because what I'm doing is working for me right now. In any case, great book :)
  • allie1904
    Options

Well this is kinda funny because you KNOW you can maintain your weight, but yet you're up 14. So maybe you really don't know how to maintain your weight.
    Try a basic full body workout (1 exercise per body part) 3 times a week to start and add in some cardio after.

Yes I know how to maintain but that doesn't mean I'm going to go on holiday and eat lettuce for two weeks. I knew I would eat things away that I don't eat at home, that's what lots of people do on holiday. I had no intention of maintaining on holiday.
    No need to be rude about it.
  • allie1904
    Options
    Thankyou to everyone that has posted constructive advice. I'm about to hop into bed but will have a good read in the morning.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have that deal as well..mild OCD? ADD? Whatever...one thing that I do is, set a baseline for each exercise I like to do. So, I like the treadmill, and on my first day (or first day back), I'll do 30 minutes and see how many calories I burned. Then every other time I spend 30 minutes on the treadmill I try to burn a couple more calories. I usually just keep track in my head but you could definitely keep a little spreadsheet going. So not only does that give you daily goals, but something besides weight or inches to measure your accomplishments. AND when you see the drop in burn after a long break, it can be good incentive to take shorter breaks! :)

And if you have a bad day and don't improve, you are allowed to add extra time to get that day's burn to match the previous day.