FOODIES

Options
hello I am 18, I love friggn food I want to become a chef but lately ive noticed little bits adding themselves onto my body >:( maybe if you had some healthy recipes for me, low calorie that arent bland that would be amazing :)
I used to be 130 in the summer. i just checked today, and am 137 lbs. im 5'2. so im not overweight but im afraid i will get there. thankyou add me as well! :)

Replies

• Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    well im not a foodie, i dont even know what that is lol, but I can say i am glad you taking the right steps before you become as big as me, so good job!!!!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm a total foodie, my whole family is. Hubby and I love to cook, try new restaurants etc. Starting this new lifestyle, I calculate everything and cut down on portions if anything we're eating is high in calories. At home, I look for substitutes like low fat sour cream, fat free cheese, using water instead of broth, using herbs instead of salt, baking instead of frying etc.
  • nessajk
    nessajk Posts: 32
    Options
    Ooohhh I'm a wannabe foodie. Especially with cheese and wine, which is killer. The way I've tried to compensate is by seeking out new and interesting things to do with veggies that I've never heard of and exotic mushrooms. Also making sure that the foods I do eat are really, really good and quality stuff and then I don't feel like I'm missing out.
  • Virgo411
    Options
    Hey there. I'm a total foodie. A couple of my go-to recipes when I'm being healthy and all are:

Mashed Cauliflower: so simple, everyone should do it! Microwave cauliflower with a couple tablespoons of stock/broth/water until tender (for a whole head chopped up, it usually takes 7-10mins). Use a hand blender and blend with "I can't believe it's not butter" and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth. It won't blend smooth unless the cauliflower is totally tender. Much healthier, less carbs than mashed potatoes.

Soy Braised Pork: use a lean cut like tenderloin or cut off the fat on a pork shoulder (1 - 2 lbs). Cut it up into stewing chunks. Saute garlic, slices of ginger, and rough chopped green onions in some canola oil AND a 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil until fragrant. Brown the pork chunks adding 1 or 2 packets of Splenda/Stevia/Truvia/or 1 can of Diet Coke (use less water if you go the diet coke route). If you don't care about the carbs or sugar calories, then you can use real sugar which is only 16 calories per packet. But I'm on a strict no carb kick! Once the meat is browned, add 1/4 cup soy sauce. Add about a cup of water too. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and let it simmer for about an hour (or longer until the meat is fork/fall-apart tender).

You can serve it with the mashed cauliflower or steamed brown rice (again, if you don't care about carbs :-P) And it's also super yummy when served like Korean Saam with bibb lettuce cups, cilantro leaves, thai basil leaves, jalapenos, sirracha and pickled cucumbers. The best part about soy braised pork is that leftovers are great when mixed with egg whites the next morning.
  • philm00x
    Options
    I'm with you guys! I'm definitely a foodie. Not so much as one for looking for strange ingredients, but more just for different cuisines from different cultures. Lately I've been really into Korean food because I love that it has a lot of beef and pork (I'm not really too big on seafood. Don't like the taste, usually, not that I'm allergic or anything) with a lot of spicy ingredients that still have a ton of flavor. I love spicy food but not the kind that just throws in so much heat that the food has no real flavor. I find myself often recommending restaurants (or now, food trucks are all the rage so I'm starting to hop around town checking them out) to my friends and family after having tried them for the first time. I'm willing to try anything new at least once and if I don't like it, then I just stop eating it. Even when I go on vacations out of town I usually find myself describing the food as the main point of interest. The good thing now is that I'm able to manage my portions by counting the calories with MFP so if something is high in calories I'll just eat so much of it to hold back so that I don't put weight back on!
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    I love to get creative in the kitchen. Tips that I follow:

I almost never use salt. If I use it at all, it's very sparingly. Spices and herbs are way better for you. I put garlic in almost EVERYTHING!

When possible, use the "no salt added" or "low sodium" varieties of packaged foods.

I DO NOT use low fat, low cal items. If I want to make something good, I use the good stuff. I just make sure to use less of it or just 1 or 2 decadant items per recipe. Then I load up on the healthier stuff.

If using just 1 or 2 decadant items in a recipe doesn't work, just make sure to eat a small portion of whatever you're making. Divide the rest up into small portions and freeze for later.

Make it colorful! This works for everything, but I love to eat salad. Making one with just the traditional carrots and tomatoes with lettuce is boring. Add a wide variety of colors, flavors and textures into your salad. Don't get me wrong. Carrots and tomatoes are great! Just add more to the salad than that. Try sweet peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, scallions, hard boiled egg, nuts, raisins, all kinds of fruits, etc. And don't just use iceburg lettuce. Mix it up with Romaine, spinach and anything else you can find.
  • carsmakemebeep
    carsmakemebeep Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I DO enjoy baby spinach and almonds together with strawberries avocados and rice vinegar :) its pretty damn delicious. But the using whole fat items is a very good idea...the lowfat ones will just make me sad while im eating it, might as well have a small portion of something delicious :p
  • carsmakemebeep
    carsmakemebeep Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh wine and cheese is the best friggn pairing anyones ever come up with <3
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've cooked for 10+ years, and what I've found the most pleasure in, is making healthier versions of common junkfood. Cakes, wings, nachos, pastas, desserts, etc. That way you can have the food you crave, but at 1/2 the calories. I also find if you're eating with others, they're more incline to try it, if its something they're familiar with.

A favorite book of mine is Cook This, Not That
    1776cook.jpg

Put out by Mens Health. They have a few in the series, but it's basically restaurant dishes, and how to make healthier versions at home. Has everything.

I'm also a huge fan of making dessert flavored smoothies, or protein bars. Basically reducing sugar and omitting the worst parts, and swapping in fruit, nuts or flavored whey.