Totally Gutted!

Options
Hey,

I am really gutted. This past 10 days I have worked really hard to ensure I have done exercise everyday ranging from the gym, gym classes and lots of walking. I have watched everything that I have eaten and changed my eating habits, given up alcohol and chocolate and resisted so many temptations. Today was my weigh in day and I expected a massive loss.

To my major disappointment I didn't loose anything, not even one tiny little pound. I know its early days and I shouldn't feel bad but I do. I suppose tomorrow is another day and i'll try much harder next week, I gotta loose this weight eventually right?

Mel

Replies

• Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Correct! It will come off, don't give up hope, although I know it's hard. Keep up the good hard work.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would try to not stress about it and remember that this isn't a get-thin-quick scheme (although I REALLY wish it was). If you were under your calorie goal and added all that exercise, the scale probably didn't move due to water weight or other various body fluctuations. It's easy to feel bad and give up, but don't do it! Just keep on keeping on, give yourself a break (maybe you need a rest day?), and try to avoid the scale for a few days. I know it can be frustrating when you expect a huge drop, but you just need to try to move on and not get discouraged. In the end, it will be worth it!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I know it feels discouraging but you are most likely gaining muscle and losing some fat. Try taking measurements every couple of weeks to help encourage yourself along.:smile:
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Often you will find that you lose weight over 2 weeks. About a month ago I was the same as you, nothing for 2 weeks and then bam lost 2 kgs really quickly. Don't be discouraged, you are making progress, 10 days is not a lot of time in the scheme of things. that's one of the reasons why I find the progress charts here good, you eventually will see a pattern in how you lose.

GG
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    If you're serious about having completely changed the way you live, how much you eat, and how much you work out, your body is probably in shock. At first, it might try to hang on to the fat, reacting to the fact that you're eating too little to support your new exercise routine. Give it time and that will relax, but make sure you are eating enough for the amount of exercise you do.

There's water weight, which is a result of many things, including sodium intake, time of month, etc... don't discount that, either.

But 10 days is really too soon to see any major result. Give it time. And you might consider taking your measurements now and use that as a way of looking at progress in the future. A lot of people lose inches before pounds. The scale only tells a very small part of the story.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. It's really hard to find that perfect balance of exercise and eating right, but it will come off. Some things to think about:

1. Do the foods you are eating have a lot of salt? You don't have to add salt for their to be salt in foods, particularly processed foods. Salt is a big inhibitor to weight loss.
    2. Same for sugar. While you may not add sugar, lots of foods have sugar in them. You want to make sure to watch your sugar intake.
    3. Probably the most important thing is water. Are you drinking lots of water? Water not only helps fill you up, it also helps cleanse your body and really has helped me lose weight. When I say a lot, I average 12 8 ounce glasses of water a day.
    4. Are you getting plenty of fiber? Fiber helps the digestive process, again with cleansing out the system.
    5. Are you eating enough to fuel your machine? IN other words, if you are exercising a lot and not eating enough calories, the metabolism doesn't have fuel to maximize your weight loss.

Remember that your body needs to get used to the fact that you are changing your lifestyle. It took us awhile to put on the weight, it will take us a while to get it off. Also, remember that the scale isn't the only indicator of success. Do your clothes feel any better? Stay the course and don't discount the small victories!

Stay the course, and don't give up. Good luck!
  • PompousClock
    Options
    Check your measurements. When I started - back in April - I was hitting the gym hard, doing tons of weight training, eating well, and otherwise kicking my own butt. Two months of this, and not a pound was lost. But I dropped two inches around my back, waist, hips, and thighs. I also lowered my body fat percentage. Another month, I finally saw a two pound loss, but more importantly, another inch and a half reduction in my key measurements. Finally, after three months, I started a steady loss. I dropped twelve pounds before I started on here last week (which is why I only reflect a two pound loss on my chart here).

In other words, your body IS moving in the right direction. Sometimes it's making those adjustments in numbers we're not paying attention to, instead of the All Important Pounds category. But keep it up, and soon your scale will reflect the New You as well.
  • Virgo411
    Options
    I find that whenever I change up my diet and/or exercise, the first week of the new program is usually a good weight loss number (depending on my weight and how strict I am, I can expect to see 4 - 9 pounds lost in the first week). This is normally due to water weight loss combined with some real weight loss. The second week, it slows down to about 1- 3 pounds lost usually because your body goes into starvation mode where it thinks you're starving your body due to the reduced calories or increased exercise. By the third week, if you've stuck to it, your body realizes that this is the new norm and it starts losing a steady amount of weight depending on your regiment (i.e. 1+ poundds a week).

Everybody's body is different. But this is normally what happens to me. Luckily, I went to a fancy shmancy doctor for my weight loss program and he warned me about the second week expectations and told me not to be discouraged on the second week. I find that if you know that's what's going to happen, then you won't be so discouraged that you give up.

And losing weight is like economics...even "1" incrementally is better than "0". :) That's some nerd talk for you.
  • Weight loss is a super long journey. Some weeks you'll be surprised at how much you lose, then the next you won't even lose a pound, or perhaps gain a couple. It can be extremely disappointing and un-motivating, but you have to push through it. Whenever I have a bad week pertaining to weight loss I try to work my hardest the next week, and I know that even if I don't lose weight as quickly as I like, it will come off one day. Good luck on your weight loss journey! :)