Motivation for the already "healthy"

Options
Hi all! I'm pretty new here, just joined about a week ago.

I'm 5"5' and 145 pounds, so my BMI is in the "healthy" or "normal" range... though it's creeping towards overweight. So a little over a week ago, I decided I want to get in shape, lose about 10 pounds, and tone up.

The problem I'm having is that I guess since I'm already decently small, the weight loss will be very slow for me. I'm not a very patient person, and I find this frustrating. I know I've only been at this for a little over a week, but in that period of time I've been eating MUCH healthier (I'm a college student and used to eat fast food for 1-2 meals a day, now I've been eating fruit and healthy meals at home), and exercising daily (30 minutes of aerobics and crunches and sit-ups, whereas I used to NEVER exercise.). I thought with all that, by now I would at least see at least a little, tiny difference, but I still look, feel, and weigh exactly the same. It's rather discouraging.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you motivate yourself to push through it, and has it been worth it? I'm definitely not ready to give up yet, but in another week or two if nothing has changed I know I'll be very, very discouraged.

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• PJFaber
    PJFaber Posts: 47
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Keep at it. Take measurements. Sometimes the first thing we notice is how clothes fit.
  • travelerkate
    travelerkate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm in the same category- technically healthy, but I need to tone up and lose a few pounds. It does take a while for me to see the difference on my scale, but I find I have more strength and endurance. Try to use those as measurements, not just inches and pounds. See if you can add on an extra rep or 10 more minutes to your cardio; you'll be surprised how quickly your body adapts to each challenge.

I know it's frustrating, but keep at it! All of these changes will lead to a difference, it just may take some time!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that I'm one sexy guy and all is right in the world once again.
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My advice is to log absolutely EVERY SINGLE THING you eat/drink! It was shocking to me when I realised all I was consuming! Be sure to include condiments (butter, oil, ketchup, mayo etc.) and all little snacks/nibbles and then see what's happening. Up your fluid and fiber intake and give it time! I lost a lot of weight quickly (~5lbs in a week) when I upped my fluid intake (green tea/water especially) because I was clearly retaining a lot of water! I weighed a lot less, but most importantly I was a lot more taut and toned looking! Best of luck sweetie! ✿
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am in nearly the same position. I started when I wanted to lose about 10 pounds to get to my pre-baby weight. I've always been "thin", but after my child was born, I was not. I was still in the healthy range, but at the top of it when I used to be at the low end of it. My motivation to stick with it comes from the goals I set for myself physically--run this much faster, complete P90X and Insanity, etc. I see my body getting more defined and I am definitely able to do much more "extreme" workouts. Eventually I lost the pounds, plus some. Now, I have to be careful not to get complacent with my eating (which is where my biggest problem is).
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    your problem is known as complacency and most folks have suffered through it. This is our biggest enemy when we are close to our goal, or arrive at our goal...we lose focus, stop working hard, and get complacent. Its during these times that we have to remember the reasons we want to lose some weight. Sure, the weight is going to come off slowly when you are close to your goal...but, really, you have 2 options. work hard now to slowly lose weight and get down to your desired weight. or, don't work hard, stay complacent, and continue to gain weight slowly.

<channeling Jigsaw> gain or lose...your choice.
  • glosettes
    glosettes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What I learned from my exercise failures.

I used to run half marathons until I got injured and that sidelined me for a good 1/2 a year. It was a uphill battle in the beginning. Any routines I start will fail within a few days. Even 3 months later my fitness level is not what it was pre-injury. What I learned during my failures was that every little bit helps. The next exercise routine I start I will be that much stronger, that much faster. You won't realize it because it happens in small increments. Until that day when you run 10K and it hits you "Whoa, I just finished 10K and I'm not winded, I could go 5 more."

I make sure I do a short fit test to gauge how much I have improved. I don't go by how many pounds I lost because I could be starving myself and dehydrated but still lose 10lbs. I hop on the treadmill and do 5 short speed tests.

At a 9 incline at 4.3 speed = rest for 45secs
    Then 1.5 incline (**when the incline is at 0 you are basically walking downhill) sprint like hell for 30 secs at a speed 9.5-10. Then repeat 5x's

I know it may sound crazy but, if your fit test composes of an easy routine that will tell you nothing, it's about continually pushing your limit. Eventually within 2 months you will see a huge difference in your endurance and speed work.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for being so welcoming and kind! I'll definitely take all of this advice into account. I've never tried to lose weight before so I'm new at this, but you are all very helpful :happy:
  • chchchangess
    Options
    I'm the same way! I only want to lose about 5 pounds, but I know that's going to take me forever. what I learned is that, unfortunately it's not enough to just make healthy swaps and eat better than you did before; of course you should anyway, but on top of that you HAVE to keep track of your calories. you might underestimate how much you're eating, especially if the foods are healthy, and that could hinder your weight loss.
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think it was Valerie Bertinelli that said when she got down to the last 10 pounds of her goal, it was frustrating because it took so much longer to burn the calories at less weight.

Sooo .. she made a weighted vest, with at least 15 or 20 poiunds on it .. and started working out with that and wearing it around the house. And damn if that didn't do it.

Now, of course, they are selling them .. you can make one - if you are so inclined, or check out the local Wal-mart, I think they sell them in the fitess area.

Hell .. now that I say it .. I want one; I tried using a back back with weight, but it is not practical, nor good for the back
  • Rolynthunder
    Rolynthunder Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm at a good BMI/weight but not exactly where I want to be, and in the past 5 weeks I only about 2.5lbs. It is much harder to lose when you don't have much to lose. Just be diligent with keeping track of every bit of food/drink that goes in you and get your heart pumping with some good workouts and be patient.

Feel free to add me
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That's where I was when I started in January... I'm 5'4-1/2" and I weighed around 146-148. I was already working out a lot-- just had to figure out the eating aspect. I gradually lost and my muscles started to pop much more-- then I started needing smaller clothes. Finally this summer I hit my goal weight of 132. I'm at 134 currently bc of surgery/not being able to exercise for 3 weeks-- but I'm confident I'll be back to my goal weight soon.

Seems like the advice you've gotten already (esp about logging everything and watching serving sizes) is all great.

As far as how long it takes/tracking the changes, there are going to be fluctuations. Depending on where you are in your cycle, this could be a culprit (I usually gain 3-5 pounds in water weight and then it magically disappears 3 days later). If you have changed to a much higher fiber count (fresh fruits and veggies in place of fast food), this can sometimes cause bloating. There are any number of reasons why you haven't seen the changes yet. Keep at it though. Even if the scale never budges, think how much healthier and better you feel when you're not filling your body with junk.

It's frustrating when you want to see the changes right away. Just remember, the easier it is to take the weight off, the harder it is to keep off. Gradual is a good thing, esp for as small as you already are. You'll get there.