calorie burning question

Options
I spent 30 minutes on an elliptical trainer and the machine told me that I burned about 300 + calories, but this site says I burned over 600. Which do I believe? Any thoughts?

Replies

• missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i always go with the calories on the machine
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The site exaggerates calorie burn for some exercises. I usually burn 300 calories for 30 minutes of crazy cardio- but everyone is different. You may want to look into buying a HRM for an accurate count.
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    Big question: Did you put your WEIGHT into the machine for calculation?

If you get on a machine and do not put your weight in, they usually assume the weight of a 150 pound person. Naturally, if you weigh more than that, you burn more calories than that.

Every time you get on the machine, put in your stats.

MFP bases theirs off of your input weight.

I always use the lower of the two (which is usually the machine) but they are usually only about 30 or so cals apart,
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Go with the machine. MFP underestimates elliptical by a lot. The best thing is to have heart rate monitor, but if not, make sure you're touching those sensors on the machine every couple minutes so the machine knows how hard you're working. That's def going to be much more accurate than MFP which has no way to take HR into account.
  • smcassaro
    smcassaro Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always used to think that MFP overestimated calories burned, but then I got a heart rate monitor. MFP's estimate is always VERY close to what my heart rate monitor says. If you are uncertain, I would say split the difference. Hope this helps!
  • jewell80
    Options
    the machine!!!! it's built to measure your heart rate so the calories are likely to be more accurate than the site. I often wear my heart monitor when on the machines just to do a comparison and it's usually very close in numbers (heart rate & calories).
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I go with the machine.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I always seem to have the opposite problem, I feel like MFP sometimes underestimates! I find it hard to believe that I only burn 200 calories for jogging for about 25 minutes- it really takes it out of me.
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    when on the eliptical at the gym i put in my stats i hold onto the monitor the WHOLE time and it states i burn 480 cal in 45min, when you log it into mfp it states 698. I use the machine because if i really did burn 698 i dont want to know it cause i might eat more!!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    I also use the elliptical numbers. The MFP numbers seem insane for the elliptical for some reason. The machine I use asks age, weight and has a monitor. MFP numbers quote nearly double and as much as I'd like to believe that I don't want to test that theory and gain weight back eating back exercise calories that are probably *way* off.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I always seem to have the opposite problem, I feel like MFP sometimes underestimates! I find it hard to believe that I only burn 200 calories for jogging for about 25 minutes- it really takes it out of me.

Running burns about 100 calories per mile.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a HRM w/ chest strap. The have decent ones for $100. Polar is the most popular brand here on MFP. I have bought 2 Polar FT 40's and both work great.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I always used to think that MFP overestimated calories burned, but then I got a heart rate monitor. MFP's estimate is always VERY close to what my heart rate monitor says. If you are uncertain, I would say split the difference. Hope this helps!

I agree. I also bought a HRM and was burning right around what MFP said I was. Also, if you calculated your weight and age into the machine, the reading should be pretty accurate. I would onvest in a HRM though. I got a polar on amazon with a chest strap for $80. Good luck!