salad dressings?

Options
angel2874
angel2874 Posts: 59 Member
Besides boughten salad dressings what are some low calorie ideas do people put on their lettuce salads? Looking for better options and ideas!!!

Replies

• NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ken's lite northern Italian w/ basil & romano is nice 45 cal 2 tbsp
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I love salsa instead of salad dressing!
  • angel2874
    angel2874 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love salsa instead of salad dressing!

I have never thought of salsa and I love it!!! Will have to try it thanks!!!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Newman's own Light Balsalmic! Something like 50 cals for a tbsp (which is plenty cuz its thin, spreads easy). Super yummy. I'll never buy anything else.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    olive oil - 4 tbsp
    white white vinegar - 2 tbsp
    wholegrain mustard - 1 tbsp

4 servings :) you can change the olive oil to 2 tbsp and the vinegar to 4 to lower cals
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    and for salsa just blend tomato, onion, capsicum and jalapenos, chillis and spices if you like it hot!
  • PRINCESSANNA0786
    Options
    i love light italian! its so good!
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I take a Dannon fat free greek yogurt and mix it with some Ranch dip mix. Use it for dipping or thin it down with a little water and put on my salad. Dip is 18 calories for 2 TBLS.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm simple. EVOO and red wine vinegar. Maybe some McCormick's Perfect Pinch Italian (No salt woo!) and pepper. Delicious!
  • acoleman3
    Options
    I will mix up a little balsamic vinegar, a little EVOO, some minced garlic and some pepper. Just mix it to taste. Yum!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I just got done making a bottle of dressing. I used up the Kraft Catalina Fat Free and I thought I'd try my own. I looked up a couple recipes on the World Wide Web of Internets and came up with the following:
    1 cup sugar, 1 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp salt (I used no sodium substitute), dash of paprika, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground onion. Whipped it in a blender til it looked blended. It tastes fine, not sure how many calories yet, but at least I can pronounce all the indredients and there's no corn syrup in it. It just doesn't look red like the store bought kind. They use tomato paste as a base. Mine looks like a creamy italian dressing.
    When it was finished I used a funnel to put it in the Catalina bottle I just emptied.
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    I take a Dannon fat free greek yogurt and mix it with some Ranch dip mix. Use it for dipping or thin it down with a little water and put on my salad. Dip is 18 calories for 2 TBLS.

I do this too! I make my own dry Ranch dip mix and keep it in a small covered glass jar and then take a little bit of the mix, a pinch of buttermilk powder and combine it with fat free plain Greek yogurt or honey Greek yogurt and add a little bit of water to make it easier to mix in with salads.
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My favourite home made low cal dressing is my own recipe of :

2 tablespoons of Smuckers Twice the Fruit Raspberry Jam
    4 tablespoons of no sugar rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons of water
    1 package of splenda (optional)

Mix well and add more water if too vinegary for your taste.
  • bikerb422
    Options

I do this too! I make my own dry Ranch dip mix and keep it in a small covered glass jar and then take a little bit of the mix, a pinch of buttermilk powder and combine it with fat free plain Greek yogurt or honey Greek yogurt and add a little bit of water to make it easier to mix in with salads.

Can I ask you how you make your own dry ranch? Sounds good.
  • brooke5285
    brooke5285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup mild extra-virgin olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    ground black pepper to taste

Its soooo Yummy. I make mine a little differently, but its all the same.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I personally just use some type of vinegar, I would rather get my good fats from natural peanut butter than evoo, but Balsamic vinegar is my favorite.
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options

Can I ask you how you make your own dry ranch? Sounds good.

15 saltines, crushed
    2 cups parsley flakes
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1 or 2 tablespoons dried dill, depending on your taste preference
    1/3 cup onion powder
    1/3 cup garlic powder
    1/8 cup onion salt
    1/8 cup garlic salt
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    1 tablespoon of black pepper

Blend crackers in food processor or small blender until a powdery texture is obtained. Add parsley flakes, minced onions, and dill and blend until powdered. Put powdered ingredients into a bowl and stir in all remaining ingredients. Store in an airtight container.

If you want to make a large amount of dressing at one time, one full tablespoon of this mix will blend with 2 cups of wet ingredients (yogurt, sour cream, mayo, liquid buttermilk, etc).
    I make single servings of dressing with this mix using just a pinch of the mix and a pinch of powdered buttermilk and blend with a little bit of Greek yogurt and some water or lemon juice and vinegar!
  • bikerb422
    Options
    Thanks so much. Will make this soon. :happy: