The girl in the mirror..

Options
I've lost 76lbs. 76 POUNDS. Think about. That's nearly 2-40lb bags of bird seed. Have you ever tried to lift one of those things? They are REALLY heavy and I was carrying around like 2 of them. I'm more than half way to my goal which is still unbelievable to me. I was a size 26 and I am now a 16. Some days I can barely believe it. Most days, actually. I have faltered a bit, but I'm getting back on track. The thing is, that skinnier girl I see in the mirror? I'm not completely sure how to identify with her. Inside, I'm still that size 26. My view has changed. I've learned more about nutrition in the last 10 months than I've known my whole life. I've exercised more in the last 10 months than I have my whole life. I even ran (mostly walked) in my first 5K and completed it. And the skinnier me is a happier me. But inside, I still feel like that size 26. Have any of you had trouble indentifying with your smaller self? How were you finally able to embrace the smaller you? Don't get me wrong, I'm NEVER going back to where I was, but this adventure has meant a lot of soul searching and self discovery. I still have a lot to learn about me and what makes me happy. But how did you learn what the new you was all about?

Replies

• queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    You. are. awesome! That's a great achievement! You know, it does matter how much work you've done all these times to get to where you are. And the most awesome part is when you meet someone else who has known you for a long time and said, "OMG, you've lost so much weight!" Haha, and I too, will never wanted to go back to that weight... not ever!

Way to go, girl! You rock!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    it takes time to get yourself in the same mental place as your physical place. great job on the weight loss! your mind will catch up soon.
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well done...in fact, very well done. Like you, I have trouble identifying with this new person I see in the mirror, and I have lost only 37lbs. I have to introduce my new self to me.....changes in diet, changes in exercising, changes, changes....but all good positive ones....even the new wardrobe is a 'changes' ...Keep going and even if you do fall off occasionally, you're only proving to yourself that you're human....:-}
  • Barbaramax
    Barbaramax Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    WOW......YOU ROCK!!!!!!!
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great compliments. I forget sometimes how far I've come because I focus too much on how far I still have to go. It's not always easy to remember that this journey is a sum of parts and all those parts count!
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've lost the same amount in the past 14 months and I feel the same way. I see myself as the old me, maybe not as big but I don't think I see myself as I should...in my mind I see myself as maybe 20lbs lighter than before and it's something i think i'll struggle with for a while. I was overweight for a long time and got very used to being 250lbs, it's going to take some time to get used to my new body.
    Congrats on your loss! Such a huge accomplishment!