If calories are posted on a menu board, are/were you likely

Options
Melmade
Melmade Posts: 349 Member
I live in NYC where most chains are required to post calories--such as Starbucks, McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts, Chicken places, etc. Was talking to my father-in-law about this and I asked if the calorie listing changed what he would normally order. He laughed and answered "no". He also doesn't live here, so he's really out and about walking when he does order stuff.:tongue:

I'm not sure where all else requires restaurants to list their calories, but I definitely know it's changed what I order. I only wish the calories were listed everywhere. It'd make life so much easier.:smokin:

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    probably no, unless i were looking at two different things that had significantly different calorie counts.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    It absolutely affects the way I order!
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    i actually read the nutrition menu to order now. i go backwards from nutrition menu to food menu
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    For the last six years, I pretty much always have checked the nutrition info online before I go to a restaurant (assuming I know ahead of time we're going)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    i actually read the nutrition menu to order now. i go backwards from nutrition menu to food menu

I do this, too
  • Hbartels
    Hbartels Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I absolutely change my order when I can see the calories, and go out of my way to find them when they're not listed. We have the same thing here in Seattle and it's a lifesaver!
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    sheesh i wish everywhere did that
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I always try to find out what has low calories and try to make the most nutritious choice. I wish each menu would show all the calories each food has, would make it so much easier. At Mimi's Cafe in San Diego they have the calories behind each food on the menu, I loved that.
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I remember my dismay years ago when visiting a Dunkin in NYC right after they started posting the calorie count. I was crushed and felt super guilty!

Here in California it's the same for most chains (TGI Fridays, Chilli's and the like) and fast food. It absolutely affects my choices when I'm eating out now. I tend to remember the calorie totals on my favorites, that way I know how much I'm going to have to work off before or after.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    For the last six years, I pretty much always have checked the nutrition info online before I go to a restaurant (assuming I know ahead of time we're going)

I do the same thing. I'll look at the resturant app on my phone and order the healthiest entree.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I wish that every restaurant would do this!!! It is really frustrating to try to look up the nutritional information before you go, or worse, while you are looking at the menu... Sometimes I have to eat out and I want to make the best decision I can, but I can't do that if I don't have the information readily available to me.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I thought fast food chains in California had to post as well. Then my husband decided he wanted Taco Bell for dinner and we found all the nutritional info was gone. He opted to eat there anyway. I spent my calories elsewhere.

I am definitely influenced by the info.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It doesn't change my decisions by much. When I'm not counting calories, I don't care, and when I am counting calories, I can make a pretty close guess. I agree that posting calories, is convenient, and I try to go to places that do,, but I am not sure how often it affects what I choose once I get there.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    The Panara here has the calorie counts listed on the menu. I was so excited when I saw that!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I usually look on line before I go, but I do usually look at those on the menu. I try to pick from the low cal options.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I usually check their menu/nutrition info online before eating out, so st would make my life a bit easier, but for the most part, I know what's the healthier option and what isn't.

Nutrition info has pretty much been out forever now, but they used to hide it (under placemats at mcdonalds, in little pamphlets off to the side of the counter)..but maybe having it in everyones face would make them think twice.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything without logging it first.

If I eat a 1000 burger, I know beforehand and have made that choice.
  • LamsieDee
    Options
    yes, I look at the calories and usually try to stay within my daily goal. If I have extra calories from a big workout I may get something a little more than I usually do. but there are things that I absolutely do not order anymore...like McDonalds milkshakes...with the toppings they're a whopping 55o calories in a small....ouch. I can't "spend" that much on a fake milkshake. remember you can put the MFP app on your smart phone and see the calories immediately before you order. I think of my calories as money ...what I can spend, how much I'll earn and how much I have to workout to replace what I order.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I wish they did that. At proper restaurants it is completely impossible to get an accurate idea of calories in something. It is really only possible for chain stores as they info online or in brochures like they do at McDonalds. The way something is cooked massively affects calories. So it might be possible to guess all the ingredients but you'll never know exactly how much oil was used in the pan etc.

The other day i was too tired to cook and my boyfriend suggested we order pizza. Luckily the wait time was really long so i suggested we get a pre made pizza from the grocery store instead. I'm so glad i suggested that because it had nutritional information on it so i could work which was the best one to buy calorie wise and then exactly how much of the pizza i was allowed to have within my calorie limits. i think i shall always suggest we do that now, although generally i'd rather make the pizza myself, or not eat pizza at all!

I live in a town of about 4000 people and there are only about 4 places you can eat out. I generally hate it because i think my food is much better (and definitely healthier) than what you get at those places, plus it's a lot cheaper to make it myself. However it is bit impossible to only cook food at home, unless i want to be a social hermit.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I love supporting local mom 'n' pops but, heavens, they just don't care at ALL about calories. I've asked at my favorite pizza chains and they haven't the slightest clue. When asked if they have a formula (2 oz. mozzarella, 3 cups baby spinach, 1/2 roma tomato, etc.) they're like, "Not really."

Thanks, guys. From one Sicilian to another.

:laugh: