If calories are posted on a menu board, are/were you likely

Options
2»

Replies

• avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    my food choices have been influenced every since i started counting calories. it's amazing how many calories some of these fast food items have in them...it's enough to take away the desire to indulge.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Every time I've been in NY I've chosen healthier at restaurants than if I do when I'm in Texas because NY has the calories on the menu.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I love supporting local mom 'n' pops but, heavens, they just don't care at ALL about calories. I've asked at my favorite pizza chains and they haven't the slightest clue. When asked if they have a formula (2 oz. mozzarella, 3 cups baby spinach, 1/2 roma tomato, etc.) they're like, "Not really."

Thanks, guys. From one Sicilian to another.

:laugh:

Hopefully as society changes they will follow suit.

You have to remember at this point as Americans who watch what we eat, we're still a minority.
  • karenx30
    Options
    It would help a great deal! I think a lot of people order without even thinking about what they're about to consume.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Restaurants here aren't required to post calories but when I can find the calorie counts it definitely affects where I go and what I eat. When meeting friends for lunch at their favorite places (e.g., Red Robin, TGIFridays, etc.) I always check the nutitional cnotent and know what I will order before I go. My husband and I usually eat at locally-operated places that don't have posted nutritional value, but if I order something relatively unambiguous such as grilled salmon, I can usually estimate the calories using other sources.

One of my daughters has struggled with her weight since she was little (my clone, in many ways) and she was stunned once she learned how many calories were in the staples that she and her friends in high school would order with no thought to the calories. Now as a young adult she's much more conscious of calories and it does influence where and what she eats. She had to learn it from someone other than me for it register, though.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    my job posts the calories of our drinks on our menu board, and its an EXCELLENT deterrent (some drinks have 1000+ calories).

If I'm going to a restaurant, I'm either very picky about where we go, or I order a salad/appetizer as my meal and eat later.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    when i go to panera and the calories are up on the board it def makes me more aware and i choose better. I usually have to look before i go but it be easier if i could see them while out.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything without logging it first.

If I eat a 1000 burger, I know beforehand and have made that choice.

^^That's a good idea. I usually just log after I eat, making sure to measure & write it down first. I might have to try that.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Prior to my decision to get fit, it wouldn't have had an impact on what I order. Now if the nutritional information is readily available, I do factor it into my decision.