How many calories for at-home mom?

Options
Do you think 1200 is too few? I started out at 1330 and exercise 5-6 times a week (running, elliptical, body pump once or twice a week), of course eating those calories back. I lost about 5 pounds the first month and then nada for a month so I dropped it to a base of 1200. I do feel hungry at the end of the day when I am out of calories and usually try going to bed rather than eating, thinking I need sleep more than food. I have three small kids and spend a good part of the day caring for them (loading in and out of car, laundry up and down stairs, quick trips to grocery store, etc.) Is that sedentary or lightly active or what?

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'd say lightly active sounds about right. It's your usual day, nothing beyond the norm.

Anything in addition to that would really count towards exercise.

If our usual days were laying in bed, not moving, then we could count our 'normal' routines as real exercise.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    trust the process; just put in your data and follow the program; sounds like you are at least lightly active; I sit at a desk all day = sedentary

drink your water
    measure and weigh what you eat
    keep sodium low
    keep protein up
    eat fruits and veggies
    take a multi vitamin
    try to exercise when you can
    measure yourself

relax and get used to your new lifestyle; the weight will come off in time

if you want to eat more; exercise more; get some DVDs that you can do at home with the kids

i love "30 day shred" and "ripped in 30" by Jillian Michaels; great workouts!

give it three weeks; if it doesn't work; up your calories (i.e., change your activity setting)

good luck; you can do this thing!
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM, and I have it set to lightly active during the fall/winter months because we go out walking so much less, then I log only strenuous exercise and eat it back that day, anything like walking or light workouts I choose not to eat back.

*Also rice cakes are great for a nice night snack that's crunchy and fills you up for less than 50 cals when your at your limit for the day, 50 won't break the bank. :)
  • themsbauer
    themsbauer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Have a glass of water if you think you are hungry. if you still feel hungry after that then eat. but sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger. i have read and heard that little trick in magazines and from mutiple trainers. even if having that glass of water holds you over for an extra half hour thats a half hour less every day that you are eating.
  • mandimommy
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! I think I am going to switch it back to 1330 (lightly active) because I wasn't uncomfortably hungry or lacking energy then. I have access to a great gym with day care and am running 5ks regularly plus doing weights so I am focusing more on the diet right now... figuring out which foods to eat to keep me full and happy without keeping the pounds on. I am so happy I am back to my pre-kid weight but I really want to shed another 15 pounds. I really appreciated your feedback.